I take back what I've said about the Stuck In A Moment football video in the past!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's silly, but it gives me a grin or two, and it's honestly not worth getting your grundies in a bundle over.

You can call me a Philistine as much as you want, and guess what? I don't give a rat's ass.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
:hmm: Without rewatching the van video (because I'm not really in the mood) I'll give my assessment of it from memory, because for a very long time it was my favourite U2 video (despite getting sick of the song quite quickly.)

True, there's not much to it, but the repetitiveness of it has a point. Bono's been kidnapped, and then tossed from the van like a ragdoll. He's clearly in pain, feels defeated, and can't get to his feet. Edge, Larry, and Adam have seen what's happening and are trying to get to him, but can't get through the traffic and across the road to him (a la Frogger :wink: ) They too feel stuck and defeated.
The whole thing is rather simple, and in a movie wouldn't take so long to be resolved, but in the context of the video, the band are stuck in that moment (and can't get out of it :wink: ) and so the whole thing gets drawn out to an almost ridiculous point, before Edge finally makes it over to Bono and pulls him out of it.
One interesting thing to note about the video is that it's circular. If you watch in the background while the camera is showing Edge looking down at Bono lying on the ground and singing, you can see Bono walking by the van (despite that he's supposed to be on the ground in front of Edge) and being pulled roughly into it, while Adam and Larry try to chase it down to help him. It took forever for me to notice that, but it's just an extra touch of brilliance.
There's not much to it, but it fits the song.

Now, both videos are about someone being stuck in a moment they can't get out of, but I'd say being kidnapped and thrown from a van is a bit more serious of a situation than missing the kick at the big football match.
The football video has its moments, I'll give you that, but the whole is so grating that the cute moments don't redeem it. And it would only be slightly less annoying if it were real football (soccer) and not that American shit (which I say, as an American :wink: )

I love your post! :love: It made me actually give the van video another chance in my mind. It makes sense now the way you narrate it.

The thing that always makes me laugh about the van vid is that you could drop Bono off a skyscraper and he'd still be scratch-free in that jacket. There're like 40 sheep in that thing!

Utoo said:
The thing that always makes me laugh about the van vid is that you could drop Bono off a skyscraper and he'd still be scratch-free in that jacket.

Willing suspension of disbelief. Hollywood taught me that! :dance:

It's been a while since I've seen the van one, but I recall a touching depiction of the friendship within the band. Maybe it's a little repetitive, but Edge giving Bono a hand at the end is a nice symbol of a friendship that has lasted decades. Kind of a naked sentimentality between men that you don't see much in rock and roll.

I prefer the van video as well because of the very subtle theme of the whole thing. In addition to DreamOutLoud13's assessment I'd like to add that for me the whole thing is very symbolic of the point of view of a suicidal person. They feel they are alone regardless of the fact that they may have friends and family that are actually trying to help them. The band repeatedly tries to reach Bono throughout the video with no success. Even when Edge is right there and reaches his hand down to Bono's the picture resets just as his hand closes around Bono's and they are back to square one. But in the very last scene Edge holds out his hand but Bono is the one who actually reaches up to grasp it and the connection is finally made. To me this is representative of the fact that even when there are people ready and willing to help they can only do so if the person really wants to be helped.

But even the Football version has it's dark side. It may seem lighthearted on the surface but look at the symbolism at the end when they show the kicker old and gray in his postal uniform. Think about the idea that he has spent his entire life seemingly stuck in that moment of failure and how that has effected his life, killed his ambitions and dreams. I've known many people who have been beaten down by moments like this in their lives that they just can't get past, and the rest of their lives are dictated by that moment of failure because it is all they seem to be able to focus on. A single moment can effectively ruin a persons entire life if they are unable to deal with it properly and move on. Remember that these videos were part of the nineties approach U2 was taking in that the outer wrapping was glitzy and superficial but for those who choose to look deeper there is plenty there to bite into.

Dana

This video is just awful, no two ways about it. The Van one is hardly stunning, but at least it is partially interesting.

Utoo said:
The thing that always makes me laugh about the van vid is that you could drop Bono off a skyscraper and he'd still be scratch-free in that jacket. There're like 40 sheep in that thing!

:lol:

Van >>> Footbal

rihannsu said:
I prefer the van video as well because of the very subtle theme of the whole thing. In addition to DreamOutLoud13's assessment I'd like to add that for me the whole thing is very symbolic of the point of view of a suicidal person. They feel they are alone regardless of the fact that they may have friends and family that are actually trying to help them. The band repeatedly tries to reach Bono throughout the video with no success. Even when Edge is right there and reaches his hand down to Bono's the picture resets just as his hand closes around Bono's and they are back to square one. But in the very last scene Edge holds out his hand but Bono is the one who actually reaches up to grasp it and the connection is finally made. To me this is representative of the fact that even when there are people ready and willing to help they can only do so if the person really wants to be helped.

:yes:

rihannsu said:
I've known many people who have been beaten down by moments like this in their lives that they just can't get past, and the rest of their lives are dictated by that moment of failure because it is all they seem to be able to focus on. A single moment can effectively ruin a persons entire life if they are unable to deal with it properly and move on.

Dana

:yes:
This video always had such a powerful message to me and I never could understand why so many seemed to so "passionately" hate it. I love both videos and being from the south (USA) I completely understand the football reference.

The other video is lame.
Just gets tossed out of some truck, YAWN. >:[

The football one is badass, but large amounts of small references please me, so....

rihannsu said:

beautiful interpretation :up: so, so true. thats all i can say.

Back
Top Bottom