I take back what I've said about the Stuck In A Moment football video in the past!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
who really cares? I enjoy the video. If you don't like it, watch the other one (which I also enjoy). I really don't care if U2 is pandering to American audiences or whatever. Not every music video has to be some profound artistic thing. In fact, most aren't. It doesn't take away from the song itself, to me.

AtomicBono said:
who really cares? I enjoy the video. If you don't like it, watch the other one (which I also enjoy). I really don't care if U2 is pandering to American audiences or whatever. Not every music video has to be some profound artistic thing. In fact, most aren't. It doesn't take away from the song itself, to me.

I agree. Not everything has to be analysed to death. I think it's kinda dorky but also funny.

Zootlesque said:
Hey! It was an honest thread about a video I don't mind much now. :tongue:

You knew it was part of a mass conspiracy by U2 to make America love them again. Don't play dumb with me, Zoots. :wink:

ahittle said:
This video was a business decision, that's all. Dumb, gimmicky clip aimed squarely at America. I'm not going to say "pandering" or "licking America's balls" but a lovely song like this deserves something much less screwball. Even if you don't dig the song, you can't ignore the original intent involving Michael H. The goofiness is fun or whatever, but inappropriate for this tune.

The van version is much better.

This is something I really didn't think of when I was contributing to this thread. The song is a pretty solemn one when you consider its inspiration, and while the first version totally complements the song, the "American" version tries to make light of the situation.

It's not that you can't joke about serious matters, but I thought that this was a very personal song for Bono, if not the whole band, and it surprises me that they would shoot such a trifle of a video for it. What if this had been the video for Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own? Would everyone be okay with that?

Luckily, I refused to watch this video after being traumatized so badly the first time, and I don't think of it every time I hear Stuck. But I wonder what compelled the band to choose to promote this song with trash like this.

In short, if you like this you're a Philistine, plain and simple.

This video's great I reckon. Sure it's cheesy. Who gives a shit? It gets the message across, makes me smile, makes me chuckle. Great video :up:

The van one's boring as shit. It's just Bono falling out of a van over and over and over for four and a half minutes in pitch black.

AtomicBono said:

:up:

how stoned must've been Larry to:

1) Accept doing this video
2) smile frantically in the video

it's ok that U2 videos aren't good... but this one's just stupid

thank god I only get to see it when I pop in my Best of 90-00 DVD...

and it doesn't send any message... the Beautiful Day does, or at least tries, with the apple part and the Bono jump at the end...
so, ok, he can't kick the damn ball ... so what?...

and don't get me started on the whole "why football if they barely touch the ball with their feet?" thing :madwife:

lazarus said:
=This is something I really didn't think of when I was contributing to this thread. The song is a pretty solemn one when you consider its inspiration, and while the first version totally complements the song, the "American" version tries to make light of the situation.

It's not that you can't joke about serious matters, but I thought that this was a very personal song for Bono, if not the whole band, and it surprises me that they would shoot such a trifle of a video for it. What if this had been the video for Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own? Would everyone be okay with that?

Luckily, I refused to watch this video after being traumatized so badly the first time, and I don't think of it every time I hear Stuck. But I wonder what compelled the band to choose to promote this song with trash like this.

:yes: I'm sick to death of deep, meaningful songs having ridiculous videos that don't have anything to do with anything. The Killers' video for Read My Mind was the final straw for me :mad:

lazarus said:

This is something I really didn't think of when I was contributing to this thread. The song is a pretty solemn one when you consider its inspiration,
Tell that to the half of the forum who think Stuck is bubblegum BS.

lazarus said:

What if this had been the video for Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own? Would everyone be okay with that?

Well, Bono's dad died under more . . . dignified circumstances. Guess Sometimes is one of the more sacred of the U2 canon.

I don't like the video, but almost everybody is right here in one way or another: it's just a promotional video for a pop song.

Another pointless angle: I'm not crazy about the producers of recent U2 videos loading the clips with attractive young people. The band may be aging, but eye candy is not necessary.

ahittle said:

Well, Bono's dad died under more . . . dignified circumstances. Guess Sometimes is one of the more sacred of the U2 canon.

I don't like the video, but almost everybody is right here in one way or another: it's just a promotional video for a pop song.

Another pointless angle: I'm not crazy about the producers of recent U2 videos loading the clips with attractive young people. The band may be aging, but eye candy is not necessary.

So maybe this video should've been about a young, attactive guy trying to practice auto-erotic asphixiation, but every time he gets ready to "start" something goes wrong. You know, played for laughs.

What you pointed out about the casting in these videos is apt. Sure they're promotional videos for pop music, but do they have to look so desperate with what they're doing? And giving the directing reins to Hollywood flavors of the month instead of people with a respectable body of work? I know they will occasionally work with an Ackerlund, Joanu, Sednaoui, but this should be the rule every time.

COBL_04 said:
The van one's boring as shit. It's just Bono falling out of a van over and over and over for four and a half minutes in pitch black.

Well, but it's artistically much better as it makes metaphoric references to the title and the lyrics of the song.

Neither one is a great video. The football one is at least funny. But I know it's odd why they would make a funny video for such a serious song dedicated to Hutchence. The van one is not even memorable. Meh.

Just watched the van video. It's a whole lot of nothing! Bono falls out of the van 4 times. It's either him falling out of the van or rolling around on the road or the guys trying to cross a busy highway... that's it. What the hell is that supposed to mean in the context of being stuck in a moment and pulling yourself forward in life? What a waste! Then I watched the Lemon video for comparison. There's so much artistic expression in that video from the animated faces of Macphisto to all the motion captures of the various "men" to the interesting backgrounds of sea horses, lamps and what not. My favorite is man walking with suitcases down incline. WTF! :wink:

lazarus said:

Wow, that's... pretty smug and condescending.

It's a cute, lighthearted video. I love football and I've been in that reliving-a-stupid-moment-over-and-over-when-playing-sports situation several times, so I liked the idea and thought it was executed competently. It's not high art or anything, but not everything has to be. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:
Just watched the van video. It's a whole lot of nothing! Bono falls out of the van 4 times. It's either him falling out of the van or rolling around on the road or the guys trying to cross a busy highway... that's it. What the hell is that supposed to mean in the context of being stuck in a moment and pulling yourself forward in life? What a waste! Then I watched the Lemon video for comparison. There's so much artistic expression in that video from the animated faces of Macphisto to all the motion captures of the various "men" to the interesting backgrounds of sea horses, lamps and what not. My favorite is man walking with suitcases down incline. WTF! :wink:

ATYCLB is not an album to joke with, and SIAMYCGOO is a serious song with a serious theme that's dealing with death. What's the point of making a... lighthearted thing about it? There's no point of real connection between the concept of the song, what the song wants to express and the video.

And at least, the van video can capture something of what the song wants to tell us. What's the deal of having Bono being thrown from the van 4 times? Well, it's "something you can't get out of". Have someone think that that scene can really mean something? Why's someone crossing a highroad full of traffic and bulb lights? And isn't the video lighthearted? If not, there wouldn't be someone giving his hand to Bono so he can get out of that moment.

Personally, I cannot stand the US Stuck In A Moment video. For one thing, I'd rather watch senior's league croquet than anything to do with American football. For another, I don't think it's at all appropriate (given the tragic event that inspired the writing of the song in the first place). So it gets a big :down: from me.

:hmm: Without rewatching the van video (because I'm not really in the mood) I'll give my assessment of it from memory, because for a very long time it was my favourite U2 video (despite getting sick of the song quite quickly.)

True, there's not much to it, but the repetitiveness of it has a point. Bono's been kidnapped, and then tossed from the van like a ragdoll. He's clearly in pain, feels defeated, and can't get to his feet. Edge, Larry, and Adam have seen what's happening and are trying to get to him, but can't get through the traffic and across the road to him (a la Frogger :wink: ) They too feel stuck and defeated.
The whole thing is rather simple, and in a movie wouldn't take so long to be resolved, but in the context of the video, the band are stuck in that moment (and can't get out of it :wink: ) and so the whole thing gets drawn out to an almost ridiculous point, before Edge finally makes it over to Bono and pulls him out of it.
One interesting thing to note about the video is that it's circular. If you watch in the background while the camera is showing Edge looking down at Bono lying on the ground and singing, you can see Bono walking by the van (despite that he's supposed to be on the ground in front of Edge) and being pulled roughly into it, while Adam and Larry try to chase it down to help him. It took forever for me to notice that, but it's just an extra touch of brilliance.
There's not much to it, but it fits the song.

Now, both videos are about someone being stuck in a moment they can't get out of, but I'd say being kidnapped and thrown from a van is a bit more serious of a situation than missing the kick at the big football match.
The football video has its moments, I'll give you that, but the whole is so grating that the cute moments don't redeem it. And it would only be slightly less annoying if it were real football (soccer) and not that American shit (which I say, as an American :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom