"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobH

The Fly
OK, I know this has been done before, but since I often write "negative" (non-totally supportive of everything U2) posts and replies, I thought I'd write a positive one.

I absolutely love this song, especially the album version. I could tell you exactly where I was (I won't) when I first heard this song. Only "With or Without You" had been released until the day the album came out. DJ played an "album cut". I was mesmerized from the start. Thought they had nailed it completely with this one. Quick thoughts:

1) When they talk about "sonic landscapes", this is what they mean.
2) Love the production. The blending of all the different guitar sounds.
3) Awesome driving bass. Some of Adam's best.
4) It's one of the only U2 songs I can think of that doesn't change tempo at all. There's something to be said for that--especially since they've done the "build up to a crescendo" thing so many times.
5) A bridge that isn't loud or corny. No screaming guitar solo. No plaintive vocals from Bono. Just the same beat with three simple notes from Edge.
6) Great lyrics that paint a picture. They're hopeful yet not preachy. Satisfaction not quite fufilled.
7) Bono at the height of his vocal powers. Mature voice--not the high pitch of the early records or the throaty rasp of the later ones.

Don't understand all the people who say they skip it when listening to "The Joshua Tree". Perhaps just a different appreciation for it, one perhaps formed when it became a radio staple. To me, it's still perfection. Done.

Means a lot to me, I've always loved it, but my best friend's Dad used to play this to her all the time and she used to tell me about it when I used to rant on about U2. Then her Dad passed away recently, he was only 51 and she was 18. Totally changed the meaning for me. Such an immense and meaningful song.
:angel: :drool:

I once read in an interview that Stevie Lillywhite said that "I still haven't found that I'm looking for" is a song that "walks into the path of life".

Well said by him, isn't it? :yes:

Great great song. I am surprised they don't play it more live. Loved the Hall of Fame performance.

Always have, always will love this song. I STILL get chill bumps listening to the R&H live version with the gospel choir... and I don't even like gospel music!!

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For is the one - the only one - song I would ever want to sing with the band if given the chance. Acoustical or electric, doesn't matter to me. It's more than just great music and well written verses - this song just speaks to my soul. :bow: :bow:

at phoenix two i heard two guys hoping they'd play "the song from that video in vegas."

one of U2's very best, imo. :up:

Back
Top Bottom