I Shall Be Released

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
Grreat song! I've heard several U2 covers from it (the Phoenix mp3s on u2achtung.com are amazing quality!!!).. anyway, I know it's a cover, but who is it by originally, or who has done some other really good covers of it that I should go run and download?

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Grreat song! I've heard several U2 covers from it (the Phoenix mp3s on u2achtung.com are amazing quality!!!).. anyway, I know it's a cover, but who is it by originally, or who has done some other really good covers of it that I should go run and download?

The original is by Bob Dylan. He wrote and recorded the song in 1966/1967 when he was just jamming with The Hawks (who later became The Band). IIRC, you can find Dylan's version on The Basement Tapes and on The Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3. It sounds great, very solemn.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

yup

there's also a version by The Flying Burrito Brothers that's quite nice

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I think U2 covered it on a regular base during their JT days...is this true?

------------------
beLIEve

U2 and The Police played it as the closer to the Amnesty Internation Conspiracy of Hope Tour - with a lot of people onstage. It was the final song w/ the police ever, reunited, they passed the BBITW (best band in the world) torch to U2 at the time. Got it on tape. Very cool!

Back
Top Bottom