I saw the U2 3D trailer today!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
COBL_04 said:

it's just am I going to be going psycho in front of a bunch of people who think I'm an idiot and get kicked out by an usher within 10 seconds? Can anyone who saw Rattle and Hum in the movies share their experience?

My theater hosted two separate live broadcasts of the band Phish. Wildly popular, we sold out two theaters both nights, and the crowd was on their feet the whole time, clapping, stomping their feet, as if they were at the concert.

We let them do their thing, because we understood the crowd.

As a manager of the theater, anyone who kicks out a U2 fan for expressing themselves during any screening of U2 3D will be terminated! :rockon:

Blades Of Glory is ok-it's silly and lame but the skating stuff made me laugh because of what I know about skating. I don't know if people who aren't into skating would think it's as funny. I laughed as much as I did because I was in the mood to, but I would wait for the DVD as an ok rental. The critic in my local paper who usually hates everything :wink: actually gave it 3 out of 4 stars.

If it's in November then I will most likely have my license by then and be able to drive over on my own!

phillyfan26 said:
If it's in November then I will most likely have my license by then and be able to drive over on my own!

WOW! I always do this. I make the mistake of looking at the user's avitar and then associating the user's age based on their avitar.

Then the user posts. And I realize that I'm this totally 30-something person chatting away with teenagers in high school. Makes me feel kind of creepy. I don't know why.

Excited about getting my driver's license. That was sooooooo long ago for me. :sad:

But good for you PhillyFan. It is a really exciting moment in a person's life. :up:

COBL_04 said:
am I going to be going psycho in front of a bunch of people who think I'm an idiot and get kicked out by an usher within 10 seconds? Can anyone who saw Rattle and Hum in the movies share their experience?

I saw Rattle and Hum in the theater about nine times or so and one thing's for sure, I don't ever remember there being a "bunch of people" in the audience so you might not have to worry about that.

:wink:

bonosgirl84 said:

I saw Rattle and Hum in the theater about nine times or so and one thing's for sure, I don't ever remember there being a "bunch of people" in the audience so you might not have to worry about that.

:wink:

:lol:

FitzChivalry said:

WOW! I always do this. I make the mistake of looking at the user's avitar and then associating the user's age based on their avitar.

Then the user posts. And I realize that I'm this totally 30-something person chatting away with teenagers in high school. Makes me feel kind of creepy. I don't know why.

Excited about getting my driver's license. That was sooooooo long ago for me. :sad:

But good for you PhillyFan. It is a really exciting moment in a person's life. :up:

:lol: Don't worry, it's not creepy. I knew what I was getting into when I signed up.

I just hope I'll be able to use the car. The local Real D for me is about a half hour away.

We'll see.

Received this email from Time today:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article1596962.ece

From The Sunday Times
April 1, 2007

Sit well back: this is a 3-D invasion John Harlow, Los Angeles
As if the newly knighted Bono were not already larger than life, the U2 singer is poised to become the first rock star to leap out of the silver screen as Hollywood prepares to unleash a flood of 3-D movies.
U2 in 3-D, which features the band’s last world tour, is so vivid that cinema-managers who saw unedited footage at a trade show said they had ducked when Bono appeared to swing his microphone into their midst while singing Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Once dismissed as a headache-inducing gimmick, three-dimensional films are about to return in force, starting this weekend as Disney releases Meet the Robinsons in 700 cinemas across America.

Critics have not been kind to the animated children’s adventure, but many have praised its technical innovations as fresh and easy on the eye, and some have suggested that it is the shape of films to come.

Filmgoers will still need to wear 3-D glasses but they will be padded, fashionable-looking and a world away from the cardboard spectacles popular during the “three-dee” craze of the 1950s.
In the past three years a sprinkling of experimental 3-D films, such as a revamped version of Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, have proved popular, encouraging cinema chains to invest in 3-D screens and projectors.

Studios have tested the waters with “conversions” where parts of a film have been turned into 3-D after shooting and shown in specially equipped cinemas.

Last summer fans flocked to Imax cinemas showing Superman Returns with 20 minutes converted into 3-D. “When Clark Kent takes off his glasses, you put on yours,” director Bryan Singer urged audiences.

This summer Spider-Man 3 and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix are to be shown in giant 3-D Imax screens around the world.

“I did not believe 3-D would be as big as it’s becoming now,” said John Fithian, president of the National Association of Theatre Owners, after the U2 film was shown last month at the association’s annual conference. “It’s blowing the socks off our members so it’s really going to thrill the audiences.”

The U2 film, shot with up to nine double-lensed cameras, will be released this autumn when the number of American high street cinemas capable of showing 3-D films is expected to have doubled, reaching people who do not live near an Imax screen.

Arriving in cinemas about the same time will be Beowulf, with the British actor Ray Winstone as the legendary hero, Angelina Jolie as the monster Grendel’s mother, and a range of eye-popping effects such as flying limbs and fire erupting from the screen.

That will be followed by Journey 3-D, a new version of Jules Verne’s Journey to the Centre of the Earth with Brendan Fraser from The Mummy series as an explorer lost deep underground.

Hollywood is not alone. The Chinese government is encouraging its film-makers to develop 3-D films, although their first attempt, a pricey adventure called Thru the Moebius Strip, flopped at the box office. Bollywood studios are working on a family epic called Magik where Hindu dancers “leap into the laps of the audience”.

New cameras have been developed by the director James Cameron, a technology evangelist whose 2009 movie Avatar — a science fiction epic showing men and aliens battling it out on a far-away planet — is regarded as make or break for the 3-D genre.

Cameron, whose earlier films The Abyss and The Terminator introduced computer-generated characters to Hollywood, said: “I have been waiting for a decade for this technology to come along, and in the end I had to develop the cameras myself.

“We are going to blow you to the back wall of the theatre in a way you haven’t felt for a long time. My goal is to rekindle those amazing moments my generation felt when we first saw 2001: A Space Odyssey or the next generation saw Star Wars. We want to get everyone off the sofa and back into the cinema.”

Steven Spielberg and George Lucas have hinted that they are working on a 3-D technology where a thicker cinema screen replaces the glasses.

Spielberg, whose DreamWorks Animation studio will be releasing all future films in both 2-D and 3-D versions, said recently that this was just the beginning.

“Some day in the not too distant future you’ll be able to go to a movie and it will all be happening around you, over your head, under your seat,” he said. “We are going to produce imagery that will once again take you on a mind-blowing journey. That’s what movies are all about.”

I can't wait.. :drool:

Stephen Spielberg won't convert to digital :love: I don't like all this digital stuff...i mean, yeah it's cool that they are going to be able to convert a lot of movies to 3-D, but it just kills me that htey're doing everyhting on computer...these movies that are made completely in CGI and what not, I liked location shots, I don't know, as someone who loves movies as much as I do, it makes me really sad to see that they're doing so much just with computers :(

Just wait until Avatar comes out. That should convert the "non-believers" :drool:

But I totally agree though. And there will alwasy be artists/directors who want to film on real locations and such, and the whole indie film scene which just can't afford to move on yet. I just say it's nice to see a somewhat stale industry making some progress at least.

Lancemc said:
Just wait until Avatar comes out. That should convert the "non-believers" :drool:

But I totally agree though. And there will alwasy be artists/directors who want to film on real locations and such, and the whole indie film scene which just can't afford to move on yet. I just say it's nice to see a somewhat stale industry making some progress at least.

Avatar as in the last airbender :eyebrow:

I think, as I was telling a friend earlier, that the reason I'm so upset is that I'm majoring in film, and I hope to just once get to work with real film, but you're right the whole indie thing, I'm sure i have nothing to worry about, I guess I'm just frusterated over nothing :lol:

Steven Spielberg and George Lucas have hinted that they are working on a 3-D technology where a thicker cinema screen replaces the glasses.

Spielberg, whose DreamWorks Animation studio will be releasing all future films in both 2-D and 3-D versions, said recently that this was just the beginning.

“Some day in the not too distant future you’ll be able to go to a movie and it will all be happening around you, over your head, under your seat,” he said. “We are going to produce imagery that will once again take you on a mind-blowing journey. That’s what movies are all about.”

Ok, I just read this part and now I'm confused...I guess they're all betraying me now :lol:

bono_212 said:
Stephen Spielberg won't convert to digital :love: I don't like all this digital stuff...i mean, yeah it's cool that they are going to be able to convert a lot of movies to 3-D, but it just kills me that htey're doing everyhting on computer...these movies that are made completely in CGI and what not, I liked location shots, I don't know, as someone who loves movies as much as I do, it makes me really sad to see that they're doing so much just with computers :(

I agree and like every other decade/generation, there will still be a great deal of interest in what came before.
Recordings or movies that have actually been experienced.
They will do just as we've done - go from vinyl to cassett to cd to dvd/ dvdr, digital, online, Imax, 3D....etc. The beat goes on.. remember that :wink:

Last edited:
sue4u2 said:

I agree and like every other decade/generation, there will still be a great deal of interest in what came before.
Recordings or movies that have actually been experienced.
They will do just as we've done - go from vinyl to cassett to cd to dvd/ dvdr, digital, online, Imax, 3D....etc. The beat goes on.. remember that :wink:

It's true...I'm just way too young to be as nostalgic about EVERYTHING as I am XD

Lancemc said:
Avatar as in James Cameron's next motion picture. ;)

Thank God.

OnoBsiDog said:
Am I the only wondering how many fools does it take to fill an April 1st?:eyebrow:

Possibly true if this news hasn't been around for months, and didn't have a page on IMDb

OnoBsiDog said:
Am I the only wondering how many fools does it take to fill an April 1st?:eyebrow:

what? this news are really around not only for month, also for years. On the Showest convention 2005, James Cameron (Titanic, Terminator), Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings), Robert Zemickis (Forrest Gump), Peter Rodriguez (Sin City) - and GEORGE LUCAS (Star Wars) - on one pic - here:

http://www.in-three.com/

I'm really glad that the managers all like the U2 stuff so much - sounds really cool....:ohmy:

sorry, didnt want to go through this thread.

Is there a release date for the u2 IMAX? thanks...

on another note, i saw "Reign on Me", a sad movie but it was really good, I thought.

Back
Top Bottom