I read the news today...oh boy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popkidu2

War Child
I apologize for pilfering the beatles on my subject line. I'm a little p.o.'d.

Anyway, I read the reviews of U2 by U2 in the Irish Sunday Time and Chicago Sun-Times (if I've got my papers wrongly cited, I apoligize).

They go on about how U2 is bloated, pompous, not inventive, blah blah blah. I realize I'm not quoting them, but I'm too lazy right now to do so. The point being, they slagg off U2 and the book.

I'm sitting here watchin Live From Slane Castle, and I'm asking myself, "Did they read the book?" "Do they follow U2?"

You can always pick and choose your fights, but the fact of the matter is, you cannot deny the passion of this band. You cannot deny the power that they hold in concert, or the power that the songs have. Yeah, they have good producers that have helped them craft their songs, but at the end of the day, who's getting the audience screaming?

U2 has faults, as anybody does. I think somtimes critics forget that just because they are critics doesn't mean they can't look at the good points.

I guess what pisses me off is that it seems like these reviewers were looking for a place to piss. Find another. Everyone has their faults, U2 included, but I think overall, the book is a good read, and the band has done good work. And it's not over yet.

Sorry for the rant. I just had to say what I needed to say.

That dude from Chicage DESPISES U2.

And he LOVES Radiohead. Sucks their dick every chance he gets.

Take it for what it's worth.

I know some people have it out for U2. It shouldn't bother me. Whatever. People have their opinion. I guess I just got fired up watching the slane dvd and thinking about the reviews.

Live and let live. I love U2, so what do I care, right?

ha :)

Is this the review from The Chicago Sun Times?

True blue to U2
Band pays gospel-like homage to itself in biographical tome

December 17, 2006
BY THOMAS CONNER

Throughout the encyclopedic U2 by U2, members of the band sigh a lot and lament their deification. "I meet people out on the street who approach me like I'm Mahatma Ghandi," Bono complains. Drummer Larry Mullen Jr. bemoans how the band is often "described in some mythic sense." By the end of this story -- though it's only the present, not the end -- Bono is on stage telling a new creation myth, about guitarist the Edge coming down to Dublin in a spaceship: "And Adam said, 'Where are you from?' And Edge said, 'I'm from the future.' And Larry said, 'What's it like?' And Edge said, 'It's better.' "

For a band allegedly chafing from the burdens of fame and nearly religious glorification, U2 by U2 sure feels a lot like gospel.

An oral history of the band based on more than 150 hours of exclusive interviews with members Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton and Mullen Jr., as well as manager Paul McGuinness, U2 by U2 chronicles the life of the quartet that inadvertently became the megastars of a generation and described by fans with sometimes disturbing seriousness as "rock gods."

• • We have the near-virgin birth: Mullen's now-legendary flier, which read simply, "Drummer seeks musicians to form band."
• • We have a sermon on a mount, the Red Rocks concert captured on "Under a Blood Red Sky" (and an interesting admission from the Edge: "You might notice if you watch the Red Rocks video, there are very few crowd shots. The reason for that is the place was only a third full").
• • We have saved souls: Bono humbly confesses to turning Bob Dylan's life around when the icon joined the band on stage for "Knocking on Heaven's Door." "He sang beautifully and the crowd went ballistic," Bono says. "I think that night reminded him just what a feeling there was for his music."

There's the requisite fall from grace (Zoo TV through the unfortunate "Pop" record) and redemption ("All That You Can't Leave Behind"). And all of it is told in God knows how many hundreds of thousands of words crammed into densely leaded pages of small text, often printed over a graphic background, making it even harder to read.

The book coincides with a new greatest hits package, "U218," which lends the whole thing an air of copying the Beatles' "Anthology." That package also featured a book, in the same oral history-and-photographs style, whose only marked difference is that it weighed approximately one pound more than U2 by U2 (which is nearly 6 pounds). If this is a coffee-table book, you or the object of your gift giving had better have one sturdy coffee table -- and as strong a faith in the band as they clearly have in themselves.

Here's the one from the Irish book review:

John Waters

This is a difficult book to argue with. It's a large format coffee table volume weighing about five pounds. It has 350 pages of text and photographs. More than half a million copies have been printed in ten languages. It will almost certainly go into a second and probably subsequent editions. As far as the book is concerned, there isn't really all that much to "review." The format is straightforward: a chronological journey through U2's career by means of interviews with all four band members and their manager. The interviews were conducted by Neil McCormick, former Hot Press writer and schoolfriend of the band, nowadays rock critic with the Daily Telegraph.

The temptation for the reviewer is to use the book as a means of reviewing the band, or its career, or its meaning for society, but that's a tall order for a short review. The strongest sense from this book is that it takes us nowhere new. It has much in it that is interesting, challenging, moving and important, but, when you have finished flicking through it, looking at the pictures and reading quotes here and there, you are left with the sense that it represents merely the raw research for some further assessment and analysis.

There is nothing in the text or the photographs that we didn't already know. I don't mean that there are no sensational or titillating revelations (I don't think there are, but then again I don't care very much about the sensational aspects of the band's story), but that nothing in the book goes beyond what U2 members have been saying about themselves for at least 25 years. Perhaps the problem is not so much that the story has already been told many times, but that, in a sense, it concluded quite some time ago. U2 still have a sense of going someplace, and the world, or some parts of it, has a sense of this also. But each of these, U2 and the world, is talking about a different reality. U2 still feel themselves engaged in a voyage of self-discovery, whereas the world sees them as a successful rock band who manage to stay on top of the league. This the world finds admirable in itself and it causes people to buy U2's records without creating an imperative for any other form of connection or understanding.

One of the unacknowledged problems about long-life rock bands is that they go through a succession of audiences whom they woo, convert, inspire and then mostly lose. The audience moves on, forgets, while the band becomes reanimated by the arrival of a new audience every couple of years. To be fair, there are not many long-life rock bands in the same category as U2, but it would still be interesting to compile a record of the responses of the fans who've been with this band for most or all of those 30 years. How many are still convinced of a learning curve in the music U2 produces? How many of those who have stayed with the band have done so for the sake of nostalgia and how many are still finding nourishment in the later music?

When artists are constantly finding new audiences and to a degree constantly losing the old ones, they can become like teachers reading from the same book every year. They introduce variations so as to relieve the monotony and convey a sense of development to the marketplace, but they don't really take the kinds of risks that might cause them to either fly or lose their footing. Only Dylan has successfully bucked this syndrome; U2, for all the protestations of their loyal fanbase, most certainly have not. The music they produce seems from within the collective like an advance, a series of new frontiers within both their medium and their self-awareness, but to the world it simply sounds all right for a band that has been around for 30 years. What U2 has never really grasped is that the world expects much less of them than they expect of themselves. To state the same issue an entirely different way: would either of U2's last two albums have caught the global imagination if they had not been the work of a band that had acquired a global audience on the back of The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby? Certainly not.

A constant refrain of the interviews and of the U2 story is that the whole is greater than the parts, but this is increasingly questionable for anyone who has been willing U2 to prove their case from the start. The band's last two albums have conveyed, unmistakably, a growing atomisation of the band, a regression to the state that preceded that famous note on the Mount Temple notice board, a sense that what Bono, Edge, Adam and Larry now bring to the project is no longer a passion born of friendship and ambition, but four individual forms of craftsmanship acquired in togetherness but rapidly diverging. There is a sense in most of the later U2 songs of four musicians, who, though they be infinitely more accomplished than the neophytes who forged those early anthems out of their undernourished dreams, are now only partly involved in the collective that is U2. What is missing is not, I don't think, friendship, or even empathy, still less emotional commitment, but the common consciousness that makes rock 'n' roll, necessarily, a team medium.

Another way of putting it would be to say that the songs now sound like the lowest common denominator of an infinitely more polished unit, whereas 12 or 17 years ago, their music was the highest common factor of a quadropoly of intensity that seemed to defy gravity. They know better what they're doing now. They know about pop and its history. They know whom they have to beat to stay ahead of the game. But they no longer have the collective sense of recklessness that made them great. The journey this book describes, therefore, is necessarily a journey away from its own denouement, which occurred at or close to the beginning. The magic was there to begin with but dissolves imperceptibly as the story proceeds. And the real, profound problem is that nobody seems to be noticing.

The problem, to be accurate and fair, is less to do with a failure of U2 than with the intrinsic limits of the medium they're involved in. The problem in as far as it relates to U2 is that this band continues to speak about itself as though these limits were not visible, as though they were still at the beginning rather than the end of their voyage - and this is not what they promised. In short, from a band with the ethical sense that U2 has had from the beginning, we have a right to hear that they have failed. The market allows them to conceal this. Each year, each record, a new audience discovers them, and is infatuated with the wonder of what they represent(ed). But for those who have been there for a while, never mind from the beginning, there is little left but the wonder of their survival and their phenomenality.

This book, indeed, ultimately makes you wonder about even U2's ability to understand what is happening to itself. What comes across most strongly is a degree of self-obsession that becomes tedious and dismaying in the absence of a direction or a discovery beyond what has long been obvious. U2 has, in a sense, suffered what everything human ultimately suffers: it has hardened into a habit, a mutual dependency between band and audience, but also a kind of ideology and a cult of personality that obscure, by virtue of the band's unbounded fascination with its own story for its own sake, the lack of progress and meaning that frequently accompany the mere maintenance of popularity and success.

JOHN WATERS IS A COLUMNIST WITH THE IRISH TIMES AND THE AUTHOR OF RACE OF ANGELS: IRELAND AND THE GENESIS OF U2.

(c) The Irish Book Review, 2006.

That first review reads as if the writer merely skimmed through the book and highlighted the parts that confirmed for him his own (low) opinion of the band. There's no sense there of the humour and self-deprecation that comes through so often in the book.

The second "review", in true John Waters form, reviews the band, not the book.

yeter said:
Here's the one from the Irish book review:

This the world finds admirable in itself and it causes people to buy U2's records without creating an imperative for any other form of connection or understanding.

Ehh...no......what a pompous self-assuming twat.

Isn't that the same newspaper that flamed U2 on the week of the Chicago shows , when they were recording the dvd ?

This John Waters is a pretty '' curious guy '' to not say otherwise

" He is also the father of a daughter named Róisín with singer Sinéad O'Connor. John has vociferously campaigned on fathers' rights in Ireland "

" He criticised Amnesty International's campaign against domestic violence - because of its lack of gender balance - which led to a response by the head of its Irish branch. He has opposed same-sex marriage , though he had no problem with a recent controversial advertisement for Paddy Power bookmakers which used a parody of Da Vinci's painting The Last Supper which caused an outcry among many Irish Christians.

He has referred to himself as a "neo-Luddite" and refuses to use email. A believer in the "clash of civilisations", he has supported the invasion of Iraq. He was at one stage fired during a dispute between him and the current editor of the Irish Times, but was reinstated. He is an admirer of Charles Haughey. "

J_NP said:
This John Waters is a pretty '' curious guy '' to not say otherwise

" He is also the father of a daughter named Róisín with singer Sinéad O'Connor. John has vociferously campaigned on fathers' rights in Ireland "

" He criticised Amnesty International's campaign against domestic violence - because of its lack of gender balance - which led to a response by the head of its Irish branch. He has opposed same-sex marriage , though he had no problem with a recent controversial advertisement for Paddy Power bookmakers which used a parody of Da Vinci's painting The Last Supper which caused an outcry among many Irish Christians.

He has referred to himself as a "neo-Luddite" and refuses to use email. A believer in the "clash of civilisations", he has supported the invasion of Iraq. He was at one stage fired during a dispute between him and the current editor of the Irish Times, but was reinstated. He is an admirer of Charles Haughey. "

You know what is really funny is that when he wrote Race of Angels you'd of thought he saw Bono as the second coming. But then somewhere along the line he started dissing them. But if he's been involved with Sinnead that might explain it. She had the hate on for U2 and Bono for a while though she seems to have cooled off on it as she did work with Bono and Gavin for a movie sound track.

Dana

When I read both of these, I got the impression that these people are the type that can't stand to see other people succeed and revel in the opportunity to pull others down.

Having worked in the media for several years, and observed critics up close, it's impossible to take these guys seriously. They all seem to be of a feather. They're usually self-important twits who are in love with the sound of the bitter thoughts banging around in their bloated heads.

But when you get down to it, all they really do is vomit their bile onto a page, hoping to mask it in clever wordplay, and then watch and wait for the reaction. It's a useless, juvenile occupation, but I guess it sells magazines and newspapers, or there wouldn't be jobs for these mutts.

My Pops gave me the book today for Christmas and I'm loving every page of it. The critics? Screw 'em.

I don't bother to read reviews of anything...they tend to just make me angry:mad: Instead, i see what i want, read what i want, listen to what i want :)
These 'reviewers' only want to get a reaction from us, I'm sure they don't actually believe they are going to influence what we see, read or buy.

At the end of the day, a review is only someone's opinion. It might be the same as mine or it might be different. I never pay any attention to reviews myself. :)

xana dew said:
But when you get down to it, all they really do is vomit their bile onto a page, hoping to mask it in clever wordplay, and then watch and wait for the reaction. It's a useless, juvenile occupation, but I guess it sells magazines and newspapers, or there wouldn't be jobs for these mutts.

Is their any way you can post a review of their reviews on their respective web sites? That would be hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom