I never want to hear Acrobat live..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

junkydog

The Fly
I mean, its certainly one of my favourite songs - dont get me wrong.. Achtung was the album that got me into this band, and Acrobat was the song on the album...
but I dont think they have it in them to play this song to its potential.. I mean, its such an angry song, driven by emotions that I believe they have come to terms with since it was written.. I imagine that any attempt to play this live would be doing it an injustice... I personally wouldnt want to hear them play it half-baked... I dont think they are the same band that they were in 1991, so I thinki i'd prefer this song left in its original format....

junkydog said:
I mean, its certainly one of my favourite songs - dont get me wrong.. Achtung was the album that got me into this band, and Acrobat was the song on the album...
but I dont think they have it in them to play this song to its potential.. I mean, its such an angry song, driven by emotions that I believe they have come to terms with since it was written.. I imagine that any attempt to play this live would be doing it an injustice... I personally wouldnt want to hear them play it half-baked... I dont think they are the same band that they were in 1991, so I thinki i'd prefer this song left in its original format....

:| Because Sunday Bloody Sunday, Please and Love is Blindness are such horrible flops live? It seems smug to say "they don't have it in them" then telling them never to try.

Last edited:
Re: Re: I never want to hear Acrobat live..

mobvok said:

:| Because Sunday Bloody Sunday, Please and Love is Blindness are such horrible flops live? It seems smug to say "they don't have it in them" then telling them never to try.

I would love to hear acrobat live, Edge is now a better guitarist and Bonos has a another voice. I think its very intressting to hear old songs with Bonos new voice. Look how much better Electric CO went with Bonos new voice this tour. Gloria was very intressting to hear this tour, the same with Wild horses, One Tree Hill, Love Is Blindness,Miss Sarajevo, Angel Of Harem.

So heres the list of old songs I want to hear:

Stories For Boys

October

A Sort Of Homecoming

Wire

The Unforgettable Fire

In God's Country(he sang in Elevation tour and it sounded very good, imagine this song with the Vertigo tour voice wich is far away stronger then the voice in elevation tour, Bono also said in the 80's or in the 90's that IGC was very hard to sing, and he did iy well in Elevation)

Silver And Gold

Love Rescue Me

Heartland

God Part II

So Cruel

Even Better Than The Real Thing

Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World

Ultra Violet (Light My Way)

Acrobat

Love Is Blindness

Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

Zooropa

Mofo

Please

If God Will Send His Angels

If You Wear That Velvet Dress

Staring At The Sun

Gone

Last Night On Earth

Do You Feel Loved

The Sweetest Thing

Kite

Electrical Storm

I don't know why so many people whine to hear it live. Another tour has passed and they still didn't do it. Doesn't that tell you they don't because they can't reproduce it live vocally and musically in a way they'd be proud of? I don't want a halfassed version, and they don't either.

good point. Do you think they've ever tried it before in 'private' rehearsals rather than soundchecks or just decided fuck it let's leave it for good.

^ Agreed. I'm hoping that's not sarcasm. Just because they aren't making albums which are up there with 'the two' doesn't mean they are worse. The Vertigo tour has been terrific. Personally I don't think they'll ever play Acrobat, but I would just die if they did. It's such an awesome song. Others I'd like to see would be ASOH, Wire, Like a Song and Drowning Man.

Re: Re: Re: I never want to hear Acrobat live..

Peterrrrr said:

I would love to hear acrobat live, Edge is now a better guitarist and Bonos has a another voice. I think its very intressting to hear old songs with Bonos new voice. Look how much better Electric CO went with Bonos new voice this tour. Gloria was very intressting to hear this tour, the same with Wild horses, One Tree Hill, Love Is Blindness,Miss Sarajevo, Angel Of Harem.

So heres the list of old songs I want to hear:

Stories For Boys

I second that. well actually i think they should play every song from boy on their next tour at least once.

I personally would like to hear acrobat live - i think it would be interesting to see how well it comes across live. Plus id like to hear any added bits bono always seems to adds to songs. (I.e. 'we'll shine like stars..' to with or without you)

I dont doubt their ability to be able to pull it off live at all... my point was that that song is quite intense, and I wonder whether they are still able to 'relate' to it on the emotional level in order to do it complete justice. After all, there is more to playing music than just being able to play the song...

Interesting. . .a song you WOULDN'T want to hear live. . .

I think I'd want to hear just about any song of their's live. I just like live music in general. I like the immediacy of it, the freshness, I even like that it's sometimes a little flawed.

One song I don't think they could do live is Zooropa. It's very much a studio track, in my mind, and I can't really imagine it playing very well live.

One song I don't think they could do live is Zooropa. It's very much a studio track, in my mind, and I can't really imagine it playing very well live. [/B]

They played it 3 times (I think) in 93, its okay but I believe if they reheased it more, it would spund a lot better.

JulioArca said:

They played it 3 times (I think) in 93, its okay but I believe if they reheased it more, it would spund a lot better.

Definitly at least 3, maybe 5 times?

I think it was in the wrong place for the show (after Numb right?)...And I dont think U2 could think of another area of the show to play it....

You can't cut 4 mins of a 6 minute song and then expect it to sound great, they needed to rehearse the intro alot more. A good spot with the piano intro etc would have been in the first encore perhaps? Or as an opener.

bonos voice has changed too much - i dont think he could pull it off. i do like the throatiness he has, but its not for acrobat i dont think.

junkydog said:

well i dont think you're gonna have to worry about it being played anytime soon. :lol:

partygirlvox said:
bonos voice has changed too much - i dont think he could pull it off. i do like the throatiness he has, but its not for acrobat i dont think.

I think I he could sing it very good, he hit the C note in "dont you lokk back" in Dublin in the 2nd leg I think in WGRYWH, he sings WTSHNN in the original key now, he hit C in "Wide Awake" in December 2005. He sang In Gods Country well in ELEVATION tour(and he sings a lot better now then in Elevation tour). He sang LOB realy good this year, so don't underestimate his voice.

I'm sure most of you have heard it already, but they did do Acrobat in a soundcheck during ZooTV and from what little they did I thought it sounded amazing.

Yes they should do it now, look how great Miss Sarajevo and The First Time turned out and even Electric Co. Now who would have thought that?

Anyways for those who havent heard it, here's the link:

http://www.mega upload.com/?d=HZQEU77T (delete the spaces as usual)

Laurel Hill said:
I don't know why so many people whine to hear it live. Another tour has passed and they still didn't do it. Doesn't that tell you they don't because they can't reproduce it live vocally and musically in a way they'd be proud of? I don't want a halfassed version, and they don't either.
:up:
that would seem the sane way of reasoning and therefore probably not the most popular way

Back
Top Bottom