I never seem to get bored of...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
40883one_trabant_longshot.jpg

40883one_trabant-med.jpg

40883one_drag-med.jpg

40883bono_one-med.jpg

40883u2_one_buffaloes.jpg

... no matter how many times I hear it on the radio. I just never get tired of it. Who else feels the same way? :wink:

I agree completely. :yes: All the different versions, there's the album track, the ZooTV w/ Unchained Melody, that one with orchestra, the Elevation tour with the pretty added guitar at the end, the extra verse...never get tired of listening to it. :drool:

Never seen that pic of them in drag, where's that from?

Absolutely :yes:

It's one of those songs that hits you every time, even from the first time you ear it

Just wondering what film clip people like best for 'one?' The drag, Bono in the bar, or the buffallos?

I personally like the buffalo film clip best, minimal distraction makes you focus entirely on the music. I think that's what a song like 'one' requires

VertigoGal said:
Never seen that pic of them in drag, where's that from?

It's from the Berlin video of course! This particular pic was obviously taken during a lighter moment in the video shoot.

Oh... and johnnytakeawalk, I like the Berlin video best! Painted trabants! :drool: Shots of Berlin! :drool: The buffaloes one is awesome too though.

Zootlesque said:

It's from the Berlin video of course! This particular pic was obviously taken during a lighter moment in the video shoot.

oh okay. I've only seen the video with the buffaloes and flowers and stuff...it's the one they have on yahoo launch. I like that one though, when it gets to the end with the buffaloes running off the cliff I feel all deep and things. :sad: hehe. :wink:

neutral said:
I like the Berlin version best. I think Bob's part is cool and I love all the scenery of Berlin, it's so fitting for the song.

Bob as in Bono´s father?. In that case then i had no idea that he was in it..

Zooty,, :up: for yet another AB related thread.

It was a 3-star for me I think when I first heard it a few months ago, but now the album version is a 4-star for me.

But then I heard the Slane version...

:drool: :hyper: :drool: :hyper: :drool: :hyper:

VertigoGal said:

oh okay. I've only seen the video with the buffaloes and flowers and stuff...it's the one they have on yahoo launch. I like that one though, when it gets to the end with the buffaloes running off the cliff I feel all deep and things. :sad: hehe. :wink:

Well you must find a copy of the Berlin drag one! It's definitely my favourite of the 3, you might like it too!

I definitely prefer the buffalos video... It's, like someone said, the perfect video with few but too stong imagery to pay attention to the music while hearing the song... And the when we associate the meaning of the buffalos running to the cliff to (one of the) meaning(s) of the song it becomes one of the most beautiful videos I've ever seen... When I was a child and the video ended with the buffalos jumping out of the cliff I just couldn't watch it because it made me cry... and it still does

One is just the best song ever, and my fave vid is definitely the drag one, lol. It has a deeper meaning behind just laughing at how dodgy they look as women, but that IS a fun part ;) I don't know if I fancy any of them but Adam has great legs!!

One to me the greatist song ever written, never loses its brillance sounds fresh each time, and all ways seems to have a different meaning.

jonnytakeawalk said:

Just wondering what film clip people like best for 'one?' The drag, Bono in the bar, or the buffallos?

For me, my favorite version is Bono in the bar. I like the interaction with him and the camera and the live show bits in it.

That said, I don't mind the drag version - love the band playing in a circle shots - and the buffalos/flowers never did much for me.

I love the Bono in the bar version, but I have to give the edge to the drag version. Seeing Bobby Hewson now is very powerful.

Its barely on the radio here, we just get the same crap chart music everyday with the odd good song once in a blue moon.:(
The only U2 songs I ever hear on the radio are "Beautiful Day" and, more recently, the "City of Blinding lights".

However, "One" never loses its greatness for me, and is still my favourite U2 song, absolute masterpiece.:bow:

God I love that video , not only is the song great but, Adam in drag turns me on:drool:

I love the bar version where at the end he is just sitting at the table and not even singing, just looking at the camera. My God I could just take him right there!

I also love the drag version where he is singing into the mic at the end during the high part (and trying to play guitar) :drool: :drool:

Tarvark said:
Anyone know where I can see a copy of the video?

Get the Best Of 1990-2000 DVD. It has both the bar and drag versions (not the buffalos though). You can also listen to the director's commentary for each video, which is quite interesting. The DVD also has a great 15 minute documentary about the making of the song ("One") and the videos.

I'll never forget hearing One for the first time. I just knew it was going to remembered the same way songs like Imagine, What's Going On or Let It Be are remembered.

Zootlesque said:

:drool:

At first I thought you were gonna say "...looking at pictures of U2," and I was gonna go, WOW, me either!! :lol: :wink:

That said, I could never get tired of One. To me, it is the greatest song ever written. Period. I think the greatness is due to the fact that it is simultaneously personal and universal. It's a song that can be interpreted many ways and is very deep and sometimes difficult to discern, however the overall message is simple for anyone - "we're one, but we're not the same, we get to carry each other." I love how the song is both hopeful and bitter. Of course the song is more than just lyrics. The music itself is classic U2 - understated perfection. I'd say it improves live, especially with Edge's gorgeous extended solo and the extra verse. However, there is something about the studio version, something that I can't really place, that can never quite be captured live. Maybe it's Bono's vocals, there's this desperate need to them. And of course the story of the song itself is legendary, it's the song that kept the band together. I'd wager to say it's the most important song they've ever written.

As for videos, I like the one in the bar best. :) Bono looks so vulnerable in it...he needs a hug.

Back
Top Bottom