I need your help for a school project!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoopop

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I'm doing a paper on fans point of view at concerts and how technology helps fans connect with bands. If I could get some 1 to 2 liners about how you connected with U2 at the Elevation concert with the help of technology. Thanks.

Technology helped me get GA U2 tickets four times for the Elevation tour.
smile.gif
Without my computer, I wouldn't have had a chance.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

Nevermind then
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Sicy (edited 05-02-2002).]

Ever since the first note of Mofo on the Popmart tour's stop in Memphis, I've known that technology plays a major role in U2 concerts. Through television screens, lighting effects, synthesizers and technical stage theatrics, U2 has found a way to transform the thoughts of their music into a tangible experience.

Originally posted by zoopop:
I'm doing a paper on fans point of view at concerts and how technology helps fans connect with bands. If I could get some 1 to 2 liners about how you connected with U2 at the Elevation concert with the help of technology. Thanks.

In terms of connecting with the fans, I would say that mp3s help out a lot. While this example may not be on stage, I think that mp3s have immensely helped U2 connect with their fans because now fans have access to just about any live recording they could ever want.

Another thing that you might be able to hit on is the technology that allows audio/video webcasts of concerts. Those definitely contribute to connecting with fans because they allow fans to enjoy the thrill of the concert without physically being there.

As for technology actually used at the concert, I would say that the spotlight used during "Bullet" was a unique way of connecting with the audience. (Although, that's not very technologically advanced.) Another thing is the use of the heart stage with the lights around the edges. Umm...that's gotta count for something, right? LOL.

Good Luck with your paper!!

The first time the strobe lights went off during the guitar riff of UTEOTW absolutely blew me away! I was 3 rows back from the Edge and the lights, and the combination just made the song so much more intense. It definitely made that song an "experience."

I'm not a huge fan of video screens at concerts, but the blurry fades during Bullet were a really effective way to enhance the impact of that song.

------------------

You have fairly generic bunions. --my podiatrist, 4-11-02

In my mind, one of the best things about the Elevation Tour that it involved significantly LESS technology than Zoo TV or Popmart. Having seen severals shows on each of these three tours, I felt the lack of technology in Elevation actually enhanced the connection with the audience.

BB

Sadly, I did not see U2 in the 80's. However I had friends (should be EX-friends
biggrin.gif
) who did.

One friend said that he was SO far back for a JT-era concert he saw, that U2 looked like tiny little ants. He joked that he couldn't even validate that it was U2 playing.

This same friend saw an Elevation concert in Rhode Island. I happened to be at the same show, but I was in the heart, whereas he was way back in the upper levels. Despite being so far back, he said the concert was fantastic. The big screens allowed him to see U2 clearly, despite the distance he was from the stage. Plus, U2's very dramatic use of showing the rising names from the victims of Sep. 11th even brought a little tear to his eye.

In other words, U2's use of technology not only allowed my friend to see the band members better, but it made it a far more emotional performance. And that's what technology should do - improve and enhance life, not hinder it. U2 used technology perfectly for the Elevation tour.

Ok, so I was in the heart both times I went to Elevation. Each time when they brought down the panels of cloth on to which they projected the lights around the sides of the heart, I felt as though I was suddenly closed in a room with U2. It was extreamly personal. I was inside a space with the boys, and it seemed almost as if they had planned it that way, that they wanted us there. They were creating a personalized experience for their fans who were crazy enough to stand in the cold for 12 hours in order to see them, and that made all the difference. Hooray for technology.

------------------
It's like lotto - you gotta be in it to win it.

Keepin it krunk...

Back
Top Bottom