I NEED all the songs U2 played consistently at the beginning of shows..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
I have a radio show on my university station and I try and have an interesting theme for an hour every week (this week it's songs about robots). I thought a neat idea would be to play the songs U2 played before shows.. I know they had a pretty consistent list of songs they played before taking the stage during the elevation tour, but I dunno if this was the same for previous tours, so if anyone can shed some light on this I would be most grateful... but feel free to suggest elevation ones if you know of them, too

what i have so far:
Elevation:
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
All You Need is Love
Primal Scream - Movin - On Up
Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
Stevie Wonder - Higher Ground
New Radicals - Mother, We Can't Get Enough

ZooTV:
Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - Television, The Drug of a Nation
something Beethoven? 9th?

War:
Clannad - Theme from Harry's Game

I hope there are more! please help :)

KhanadaRhodes said:
wasn't 4th of july played for a bit/ maybe during joshua tree? or am i imagining things?

hmmm that sounds familiar though no way for me to know through experience.. thanks for the pointer! i'm ideally looking more for songs not by U2, if possible.

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:
wasn't 4th of july played for a bit/ maybe during joshua tree? or am i imagining things?

4th Of July was usually played over the PA when the band took the stage during the Unforgettable Fire Tour.

The Mission Impossible theme was played before Pop Muzik on Popmart.

Alright, so maybe I should consolidate my posts, but I just remembered two more: I Can't Get No Satisfaction and Sympathy For The Devil by the Rolling Stones. They opened at least two Lovetown shows, 26 December 1989 and 5 January 1990, when God Part II commenced the set. None of my other Lovetown bootlegs include the opening music so I don't know if they opened any more.

Only a wee bit off topic...

But if you are having a Robot week, I hope ya dug up Robot Parade by They Might Be Giants!

Fun fun song. Heh.

Bingo

Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve was played just before Pop Muzik at the 1998 Popmart shows, as well as late 1997 concerts if I remember correctly.

Some outro songs that were played over the loudspeakers include Can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presley for the Zoo TV stadium shows, beginning just after Bono and The Edge's version ended. U2's own grace ended Elevation shows and I specifically remember hearing Bono and Adam Clayton's version of Tomorrow from 1996 played at the end of the Popmart opener in Las Vegas, just after the band finished playing One to end the concert. After Michael Hutchence's death Never Tear Us Apart by INXS was used for Popmart shows.

Last edited:
Hi Skeek - (You're Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher by Jackie Wilson was played with the Curtis Mayfield and Stevie Wonder songs at the 1st Leg TO, Detroit, and Buffalo shows.

MrBrau1 said:
Stand By Me- John Lennon

Played at some JT shows.
Yeah. I remember them actually coming out, house lights still on, and singing along with it before one show at the Meadowlands. They then dropped the lights and started the actual set.

But I remember it being Ben E. King's orginial version, not John Lennon's cover.

Thanks for all the suggs guys und gals! :)

does anyone know where I can get a hold of the george bush rap? i haven't been able to find it...

also if anyone knows any more older songs, that would be awesome.

To clarify those question marks you added to the Zoo TV portion of your original post...yes, that's Ludwig van Beethoven's 9th Symphony. On the Sydney video, I think the bit that's played is either the third or fourth movement of the piece. I just can't remember which. :( I have a hunch it's the fourth movement, but I'm not certain. Must go and dig out my old recordings...

And I call myself a Beethoven fan. Can't even remember which bloody movement it is. :tsk:

Okay, I just checked, and it's definitely the fourth movement.

*toddles back to the land of classical music geekdom*

Edited to add the English translation of theportion of the German chorus that's featured in the Sydney vid:

Joy is drunk by every creature
From Nature's fair and charming breast;
Every being, good or evil,
Follows in her rosy steps.
Kisses she gave to us, and vines,
And one good friend, tried in death;
The serpent she endowed with base desire
And the cherub stands before God.

The final four lines in particular.

Last edited:
thanks a lot for that specific info gibson girl! and everyone else as well!

hehe.. i wish there was some old farts who remembered more from previous tours! there's really not a lot of representation for the older side of things. But at least the new tour will eventually yield some meat.

Back
Top Bottom