I must say, the "Alternate Version" of All Because of You has grown on me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

topplehatU2

Refugee
I didn't appreciate it much at first, and always thought the album version was superior, but now I see it as a really great song.

Maybe even better than the album version?

i like it 10 times better than the album version

its quite delish

I especially like the lyrics. "I had the universe decoded then the atom split" "It's the defeaning silence that drowns god out"

and the song seems more punk rock, somehow. more energy, even though it's really got more guitar dubs (it's a lot like the single version actually). I find the opposite to be true for Native Son, which is lacking in comparison to Vertigo.

I don't have much of an opinion as no version of ABOY has really left an impression on me.

The alternate version is better, but the album version is probably easier to sing live.

Hooray for an ABOY thread. I'm sad so many people dislike this song. I'm a sucker for simple fun rock songs. :dance:

i hear you say "my oh myyyyyy" :lol:

AtomicBono said:
I especially like the lyrics. "I had the universe decoded then the atom split" "It's the defeaning silence that drowns god out"
Huh, I forgot those lyrics... really nice! It also begs the question, "What the hell, Bono?" He can come up with some really interesting stuff, but then drops out nonsense like "an intellectual tortoise" and, the worst line of any U2 song, "...heavy as a truck" :huh:

Seriously, the lyrics you mentioned are better than, and I'm being honest here, roughly 80-90% of what Bono came up with for HTDAAB. Not saying anything about the songs themselves, just that Bono needs to take a step back and read what he's writing...

ANYWAY, as for the song... The Single Version - :drool:

Thanks to whoever sent me this version, I really like some of it such as the "My oh my, you know I got no tears to cry" part but don't like the chorus as much. I don't really care for the Ah-ah-all beacuse of you in the other version, but both of them are great songs.

All Because of You is the best song U2 have written in 4 albums

“I’m alive, I just got born….I’m at the door of the place I started out from and I want back inside”

And the Guitar….

Edge’s Guitar…

This is the only part of the whole album turned up to 11. Bono promised us a mother of a guitar record and it never eventuated except All Because of You.

This is the way you dream U2 would sound in 30 years time when you first heard Boy.

Catman said:

Seriously, the lyrics you mentioned are better than, and I'm being honest here, roughly 80-90% of what Bono came up with for HTDAAB. Not saying anything about the songs themselves, just that Bono needs to take a step back and read what he's writing...

Exactly! I see I'm not alone in thinking that Post 2000 Bono seems to leave the poetic stuff off the albums for some reason! :huh: He still does have it in him obviously, judging by lyrically superior songs like Stateless, Ground Beneath, Mercy, Summer Rain, Levitate (even if you don't like the Freedom line, the lyrics are overall pretty good IMO), ABOY (alt), Fast Cars etc. But I guess the band is at a point now where they'd rather have an album full of musically powerful, cheerful and uplifting, albeit easy to sing along somewhat pedestrian lyrics... than a slow haunting introspective and poetic masterpiece in which a song such as say, Stateless could have easily fit.

Anyway, All Because Of You (alt) rocks and I definitely prefer it to the album version! A couple of reasons why...

1. Much better opening!!! Less eardrum-piercing, better produced and doesn't quite scream 'Listen to us rock by turning up the volume! Yeah!!!' like the album version does.

2. I like how Bono sings all 3 lines in the chorus in the same way.. sounds much better than the Ahhll because of you.. of the album version.

3. As Atomic Bono mentioned, the verse lyrics are better here. 'I had the universe decoded and the atom split'. Pretty cool compared to 'Everything was ugly but your beautiful face'.

Now why did they not put this one on the album? Maybe cos these alternate lyrics are not quite as easy to sing along to? :hmm:

Zootlesque said:

Now why did they not put this one on the album? Maybe cos these alternate lyrics are not quite as easy to sing along to? :hmm:

maybe cause is not as "accessible" as the one in the album??:reject:
don't know if that makes any sense:|

xaviMF22 said:

maybe cause is not as "accessible" as the one in the album??:reject:
don't know if that makes any sense:|

It does... to me. Cos you basically said what I said, that it's less accessible, harder to sing along to.. less catchy lyrics!

Oh... not to mention fewer rhymes! along the lines of tracks/backs/cracks.

Zootlesque said:

It does... to me. Cos you basically said what I said, that it's less accessible, harder to sing along to.. less catchy lyrics!

Oh... not to mention fewer rhymes! along the lines of tracks/backs/cracks.

yea the alternate versions of the songs are not as accessible or as catchy as the ones on the album. Had they left them as they were, the album would have been a whole lot better in my opinion.
The album would have been a lot more interesting, and I wouldn't hate it as much:|

xaviMF22 said:

and I wouldn't hate it as much:|

Wait... are you being serious or sarcastic? :huh: :wink:

I don't, in any stretch of imagination, hate HTDAAB! But I get the feeling I would've preferred the less catchy, more poetic version.

Zootlesque said:

Wait... are you being serious or sarcastic? :huh: :wink:

I don't, in any stretch of imagination, hate HTDAAB! But I get the feeling I would've preferred the less catchy, more poetic version.

maybe "hate" was too strong of a word:wink: I wouldn't dislike it as much

cjboog said:
Thanks to whoever sent me this version, I really like some of it such as the "My oh my, you know I got no tears to cry" part but don't like the chorus as much. I don't really care for the Ah-ah-all beacuse of you in the other version, but both of them are great songs.

Hi, want to share the love? :cute:

lar3@calvin.edu

I have such great love/hate with All Because of You. The last minute of the album version is the best minute of the entire album, the first 2 minutes of that same version are some of the worst U2 I've ever heard. I definitely prefer the alternate version. It's obviously 'early' and a bit jumpy, but like Native Son and Xanax & Wine, it only needs 10% work to get it there, but in the end they gave it a 150% overhaul and worked the spirit right out of it. The lyrics in the Alternate are also, obviously, a million years ahead of the album version. In those three songs - Native Son, Xanax & Alternate ABOY - is all the evidence I really need that U2 were originaly on track for something really very fucking cool, but shafted it for something really fucking pop-radio friendly. Great, raw rock tracks, fantastic lyrics, punch after punch. I'm still yet to hear some of the other 'off casts' from this generation (eg Levitate, Smile), but even if you include the original Sometimes as a middle bridging track (in the place of a song like One Step Closer, not as a big single), I'm pretty sure Version A of HTDAAB was going to be lightyears ahead of the Version B that we got. Anyway, it's tough listening to some of these, what could have been and all of that. Does give me some hope for whatever is coming next though.

I still have not heard this version. So it is that much different than the single version too then? Wow. If anyone is in a sharing mood I'd be grateful. Thanks.

and btw I totally agree with ES about the last minute of the album version, although I actually prefer the final minute of the single version for Edge's solo, but I do like the whole song too.

Last edited:
I'd send it but your email only takes "known" senders and I really don't feel like filling anything out to be able to send someone something. So, sorry about that. :(

catlhere said:
I'd send it but your email only takes "known" senders and I really don't feel like filling anything out to be able to send someone something. So, sorry about that. :(

NO no its fine! I got it!!!!! That's just the spam filter at work, but I accepted it. I'm downloading now. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Can't wait to listen to it. THANK YOU!! :)

Back
Top Bottom