I love u2, but....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So... anyone who hates October is just an **@!?

i am still thinking if it's my opinion or a matter of fact:scratch:
but a love october, it's my favorite month, i love when the leaves fall from the trees, it's beautifull:drool:

well for who didn't know i was being ironic and sarcastic
because my point is that it's obvious that everyone is entitled to have an opinion but sometimes they are so unimportant and irrelevant that don´t make sense to putt it here, that's my opinion

i don't like that much a lot of u2 music but it seems to me absurd to came here and say hey guys i don't love this album, i think it's crap and stay to see the reactions because that is about musical tastes that is about subjectivity and each one of us will desagree with the others and we will never have any possible conclusion.
basicly it's a waste of time

Re: Re: Re: I love u2, but....

the soul waits said:

Well, this is a mature discussion, isn't it?
To each their own, I say.

Perhaps you misunderstood the context. I took offence that the original post in question was made as a statement of fact, rather than opinion. Observe the complete lack of the words, "I think":

I have to say that after just re-listening to each of them for the first time in a long time (and for a LONG time, for that matter), both "Boy" and "October" are complete crap! There's maybe one or two songs total that are good from this combo. It's amazing that they got past this, but thank god that they did! God bless them for growing and improving so much over the years. They are some lucky bastards.

I think it's complete crap that a person can say something like that as if it were the gospel truth. Music is subjective, so one cannot state "this album is crap because I said so," and expect to receive a warm response. There happen to be quite a few here who don't think that Boy and October have "maybe one or two songs total that are good," myself included. To hear someone completely degrade the two albums without even having the decency to state that it was his opinion is just slightly annoying.

I agree with you GibsonGirl..

Everyone has their own opinion about Boy and October, and I personally love Boy it's one of my favorite albums by U2, but i think bigloader could've at least written 'I think' in his statement or could've restated his opinion into a much less rude tone, out of respect for other people's opinions on this forum).

but in response to bigloader's opinion, I disagree. i think boy and october are great. but hey that's just the way I roll with my taste in music

Geez people. However unpopular his opinion may be, bigloader is entitled to it. And it's sorta obvious it's his opinion. I mean, unless he says "it is a verifiable fact that Boy and October are complete crap," then whatever he writes down is going to be his opinion. Same as what I'm writing down. I haven't actually said "what I am writing down here is my opinion," but hopefully it is obvious that...what I'm writing down is my opinion. :D

As to the merits of Boy and October, I think Boy is a fantastic debut album that has a really unique feel - I've never heard a debut album quite like it. And I do agree with the band when they say that people were more excited about the potential of U2 at that time then about where U2 were at that time.

As for October - it is, in my opinion, clearly U2's weakest album - once again, in my opinion . Lyrically and musically. Not to say that every song is bad or that even the album as a whole is bad, it just doesn't stand up to the rest of U2's work very well (with the exception of a couple songs).

In my opinion.

painatal said:
So... anyone who hates October is just an **@!?

i am still thinking if it's my opinion or a matter of fact:scratch:
but a love october, it's my favorite month, i love when the leaves fall from the trees, it's beautifull:drool:

well for who didn't know i was being ironic and sarcastic
because my point is that it's obvious that everyone is entitled to have an opinion but sometimes they are so unimportant and irrelevant that don´t make sense to putt it here, that's my opinion

Painatal - I was being ironic, just like you! I am agreeing with everything you say here - obviously the whole reason why we are here is to discuss our opinions. The whole forum would be boring if we all agreed with each other. The more variety of view the better.
There's nothing we all secretely love more than a good old debate, lets admit it!:wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: I love u2, but....

GibsonGirl said:

Perhaps you misunderstood the context. I took offence that the original post in question was made as a statement of fact, rather than opinion. Observe the complete lack of the words, "I think":

I think it's complete crap that a person can say something like that as if it were the gospel truth. Music is subjective, so one cannot state "this album is crap because I said so," and expect to receive a warm response. There happen to be quite a few here who don't think that Boy and October have "maybe one or two songs total that are good," myself included. To hear someone completely degrade the two albums without even having the decency to state that it was his opinion is just slightly annoying.

Gibsongirl, I did understand the context. I figured you were annoyed by the way the original poster expressed himself, but I hardly think that replying the way you chose to, will stimulate him to be a bit more considerate next time.
From where I was standing, it looked pretty immature, kind of "this is crap" - "No, THAT is crap" and so on and so forth.

And anyway, it was pretty obvious that it was in fact his opinion. I do believe most people realize that there's no right or wrong in tastes of music, food , colours etc.

financeguy said:
An Cat Dubh is Irish for "the Black Cat". The song is effectively about a time when Bono cheated on his then girlfriend.

It's NOT about Bono cheating on his girlfriend! (Ali).

I've read in a book about U2 that "An Cat Dub" is about a time when Bono and Ali had splitted up a while... In the time in between he had a short affair with another girl, and he felt guilty about this (according to this book, I don't remember the title!:wink: ).
She was a real "Irish type of girl" according to Bono, that explains the title of the song, a wild black cat! :mac: :macdevil: :evil: :yes:

bigloader said:
Which album is worse? I'd have to give a slight nod to October. does anyone really like that album?

To each his own.... but have you actuallly listen to October front to back more than once? It's their most underrated album by far, and the album that touches me more than any of the others, including JT,

Boy is a great0 album too, but has a little too much of that post-punk feel. October is where their unique signature sound really started to develop. (listen to Edge's slide guitar on Tomorrow...that's practically the EBTTRT and MD solos)

Originally posted by bigloader
"Boy" and "October" are complete crap!

I cannot believe what you're saying here ...
Boy and October are the beginner albums for U2 ... but the majority of songs on these albums are great ...
I think what's complete crap is the fact that I've read your post
in the first place !! :sad:

Back
Top Bottom