I love this album, but I think it lacks something.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
It's not really edgy at all. I know this sounds cliche'd, but they did play it safe IMO. Take the albums AB through POP for example. Songs like The Fly, Acrobat, Daddy's Gonna Pay, Please and Wake Up Dead Man screamed edge. I loved the culture commentary on these albums. Just look at Zooropa and Please and Playboy Mansion. Awesome. There's been nothing like this since POP.

While I like personal songs, I like intelligent and CLEVER songs about how they view the world. It makes their songs seem much more epic. Songs like When I look at the World, Peace on Earth and Love and Peace or Else just don't cut it. Sorry, Love and Peace is an awesome song, but it's so straight-forward. U2 can do better than "lay down your guns. all you daughters of zion, all you Abraham sons". That's just too easy! I want songs like Zooropa and Please again.

Also, I'm no goth or anything, but their newer songs need to be more depressing. Happy songs are good, but what made U2 great for me was how their songs relate to a very wide range of moods. All I want is You is romantic, The Fly is Grungy and cool, Mysterious Ways is funky, So Cruel is depressing, Acrobat is frustrated, Zooropa is a confusing and clever pop culture commentary, Daddy's Gonna Pay is edgy to the max, The First Time and Dirty Day are heartwrenching... on and on and on.

Look at the songs on HTTDAAB. Vertigo is somewhat edgy, but nothing that makes me feel dirty for listening to it. Miracle Drug is an awesome ballad, ut that's all. We've had so many of these. Sometimes is another ballad. It's great and somewhat heartwrenching, but it's been done before. Love and Peace is funky and cool, but extremely straitfoward. Mysterious Wys achieved this much more poetically. City of linding Lights is another great song, but it's the same stuff. Uplifting ballad. All Because of You? Uplifting. A Man and a Woman? It has a miniscule amount of edge, but it's uplifting. Crumbs achieves a certain level of poetic edge and commentary, this is good. One Step Closer is also a pretty emotional song. I wouldn't exactly call it depressing though. OOTS? My favorite song right now, but again it's completely uplifting ballad. No edge. Yaweh is yet another uplifting ballad. All in all there's only a few songs on the album that break the mold, while albums like AB and Zooropa broke the mold like never before.

I think this is U2's biggest problem now. I just don't think they're as exciting anymore. I'm not saying they're not being innovative enough with their sound or anything, just the mood the songs convey. It's so black and white. WAY too many uplifting ballads. Songs like Love and Peace or Else don't exactly make me wanna scream like Acrobat did.

I'm probably putting forth the impression that I don't like U2 as of late, which is completely false. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are couple of my favorite albums, but they'll never reach the heights of AB. And it's for that one reason.

I dont think you will necessarly hear albums like Achtung Baby, Zooropa or POP again, mainly because I dont think it would go over well because of U2's age. I know that sounds stupid but its true.

This album is a great album and probably tied for the best U2 album in my opnion but I dont ever see them doing an Achtung Baby again, because in essence other then a few exceptions U2 has always been sort of a loud folk music band...the really true experimentation ended with the so called flop of POP...and I believe that was mainly due to U2s age, people didnt like a band in their late 30s making that style of music at least in the US.

You love this album but it lacks something.

You know what the album lacks?

More appreciative fans.

Cheers,

J

can someone PLEASE merge all these posts into one review thread so that we don't have to see them pop up everywhere?
let's have an official review thread and a fans' review thread. this is getting tiring.... and boring

U2_Neat said:
can someone PLEASE merge all these posts into one review thread so that we don't have to see them pop up everywhere?
let's have an official review thread and a fans' review thread. this is getting tiring.... and boring

I thought there was one...?:eyebrow:

shart1780 said:

Also, I'm no goth or anything, but their newer songs need to be more depressing. Happy songs are good, but what made U2 great for me was how their songs relate to a very wide range of moods. All I want is You is romantic, The Fly is Grungy and cool, Mysterious Ways is funky, So Cruel is depressing, Acrobat is frustrated, Zooropa is a confusing and clever pop culture commentary, Daddy's Gonna Pay is edgy to the max, The First Time and Dirty Day are heartwrenching... on and on and on.

I think when Bono was in his late 20's early 30's, frequenting night clubs across the world into the wee hours with super models and such, his song writing reflected that. Dark, mysterious, full of temptation, etc. However, the man is in his 40's now with 4? kids and is constantly doing his save the world work. Also, he said recently that the inspiration for his songs comes early in the morning rather than in the middle of the night, a more "uplifting" time if you ask me. Anyway, i think the difference is now we get a song like OOTS instead of a song like Mysterious Ways. Bono is probably more content in his life now than he has ever been, so i think conjuring up darkness and danger wouldn't be as natural as it once was. "A man and a woman" is kind of him doing this, but that's the extent of it.

shart1780 said:
...I'm probably putting forth the impression that I don't like U2 as of late, which is completely false. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are couple of my favorite albums, but they'll never reach the heights of AB. And it's for that one reason.

i totally agree with you. :up:

my only disappointment with the album is the lack of 'edge.' musically it's great but lyrically it falls a little short for me.

Wake Up Dead Man was their last song of their 90s trilogy. The character in it (and the lyrics and the music) had reached rock bottom. If there was a fourth album what would have this character have done? Suicide? Or a continued but this time a fatal path of self-destruction?

For me, this new trilogy is about recovery; returning home; reconciliation with self, spouse, family, friends, God; a rebirth and resurrection; it is about “joy.” If the 90s was about the prodigal heart then it appears that first half of this decade is about the jubilant heart.

U2 has said that they want to pursue the craft of creating pop songs, pop-rock songs.

They want to be on the radio with radio friendly tunes.

They have recently spoken about the Beatles and the Beach Boys (those who familiar with both of these bands please list which of their albums focused on pop songs).

For us younger people maybe a better comparison would be to period of pop dominated by the Bee Gees and ABBA. In the last few years, Bono and The Edge have spoken about their admiration of both of these bands.

The remake of Sweetest Thing was the cornerstone of this new direction. Their next song was a honey dripping remake of Don’t Take Your Guns To Town. Wild Honey is similar to these two songs. Original Of The Species is similar to these three. Maybe these and other songs are too “sweet” for us.

I expect the next album will complete this exploration of this new territory and this trilogy of albums.

Maybe this next album will be released mid-Tour like Zooropa was.

I can understand why U2 fans are not overly impressed with these last 2 albums. In one sense, we are just not used to a joyful pop U2.

And then I expect U2 to explore a new direction in music. Maybe it will be released in 2007.

I would be happy with whatever area they choose to delve into.

Maybe the next trilogy will investigate in-depth the roots of rock n’ roll. 2007: a blues rock album in the vein of Love and Peace (no Tour). 2009: an Americana / alternate country album in vein of the little bit at the beginning of Sometimes and little bit in One Step Closer. Something like Lanois and Larry’s work on the 1995 Emmylou Harris Wrecking Ball album [and Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes & Slow Dancing with Willie Nelson] (World Tour). 2010: maybe a jazz like album. Finishing what was started on the MDH Soundtrack.

Re: Re: I love this album, but I think it lacks something.

Se7en said:

i totally agree with you. :up:

my only disappointment with the album is the lack of 'edge.' musically it's great but lyrically it falls a little short for me.

I was listening to some of the 90's "edgy" stuff from the 446 dset.

Man, there were layers & layers of sounds I never knew existed be4.
The lyrics were also sooo multidimensional.

The 3 main album of the 90's were just pure musical craftsmenship.

That said, I think these last 2 albums are where the Band is @ the moment. Fans have to move forward just as the band has.

They have stated often that they just want to be 4 guys playing on 4 instruments.

Re: Re: Re: I love this album, but I think it lacks something.

caylan said:

That said, I think these last 2 albums are where the Band is @ the moment. Fans have to move forward just as the band has.

They have stated often that they just want to be 4 guys playing on 4 instruments.

like i said i have no problem with where they are musically. one can't expect them to pump out one zooropa after another. thematically i'm not looking for suicide letters or anything - the theme is somewhat irrelevant so long as the delivery is clever and inciteful...i just miss the depth of the 90s.

love puts the blue back in my eye
vs.
love is clockworks and cold steel

see where i'm going?

the boys have given us good music for 25 years. that's 25 f*cking gooooood years!! they stretched themselves out so much to please us fans and the music listening world in general, that we all feel good not just about them but the kind of music they make. so for me reading negative criticisms like "they stopped being creative" , not as good as this and that album bla bla bla, dont you think people have been asking too much from them. 25 yrs of doing good music and from what i last read they are still raring to do some more, what else are people are asking for. c'mon give the boys a break! :ohmy:

it's an album with great songs, and some of that kind that only u2 are able to do. That is enough to consider it one of the greatest albuns off all time and make me love it for the rest of my life.
However, i get more excited when i get stuff from u2 that i am not expecting like we had in the nineties, and for this album with exception of the title and amaaw everything was more or less expectable

Re: Re: Re: Re: I love this album, but I think it lacks something.

Se7en said:

like i said i have no problem with where they are musically. one can't expect them to pump out one zooropa after another. thematically i'm not looking for suicide letters or anything - the theme is somewhat irrelevant so long as the delivery is clever and inciteful...i just miss the depth of the 90s.

love puts the blue back in my eye
vs.
love is clockworks and cold steel

see where i'm going?

I hear ya. But I think it's just natural.
Signs of maturity or aging if you will.

PPl call it being comfortable with themselves.

whatever...
You just cut to the chase & use less allegory I guess. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom