I Love The Crowd, Nearly To Death...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
...on June 17, 1983, a near-disaster in Los Angeles for Bono

U2 plays the L.A. Sports Arena, where Bono takes off into the crowd during "Electric Co." This time, he is mobbed by fans grabbing for him and cannot get back to the stage. Panicking, Bono jumps 20 feet down from the balcony to the main floor where he is caught by fans below. Other fans in the balcony follow his lead, jumping dangerously to the floor below. In trying to return to the stage, Bono pushes one fan, who pushes back and nearly starts a fist-fight. Tour Manager Dennis Sheehan eventually rescues Bono and gets him back to the main stage. The incident forces U2 to confront Bono about leaving the stage, and it is decided he will not do so again.

I remember reading in the paper when I was living in Los Angeles about this show, and how this incident really affected the band deeply, especially Bono. It mentioned that though Bono promised to never do this again, the band knew it was impossible for him to not have that human contact with the audience, but trusted Bono to find a way to do it that would not endanger himself, or their fans.

Chris

Yeah, I remember reading about this in Carter Alan's book...God, that sounded scary! I'm glad Bono cooled off a bit!

I'm responding to this just because Chris wrote it. And of course because it's unsurprisingly a goodie

Back
Top Bottom