I love SMILE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
Isn't this just a beautiful song and a shame that they took it off the album?

Smile

Gravity, it’s not pulling me
I won’t be a picture with no sound
Decaying, I’m praying
You are my air
But I need the ground to kneel upon
And love can’t be us all
I don’t want to see you smile

I’m breaking it, taking it
I’m breaking slowly in my mind
I’m seeing it, free in it
I know love is in this soul of mine
It’s not in your eyes
I don’t want

I started light-hearted
It won’t be easier like you said
I’m going, flowing
I’m leaving on the day
Of the day I will live again
You will live again

God knows, He knows me
Knows me, lonely
You see, hear me, love
Say it again
You’re not blind
The smoke machine
Is yours, not mine

I will live again
You will live again
I just don’t want to see you smile

I think the lyrics are slightly different, I believe Bono is singing "Pull the blind". And does anyone else think he's singing "I'm leaving on the day of the dead" :huh:.

Anyway, I listened to all the U2 rarities, takeouts, demos, b-sides etc. again tonight on my mp3 walkman and just realized again how much I love this song. :heart:

I only heard this song for the first time a few weeks ago along with Levitate, Love You Like Mad and Flower Child and I could tell it was a standout even then. I too am not sure of the exact lyrics but I think in the second verse he says:

'I'm seeing it, freeing it, I know love is in this soul of mine'

And he either says 'Pull the blind' or 'Pull that blind'

I really like the 'I will live again, you will live again' lines. I think they're my favourites, they're so optimistic and emphatic, there's no doubt in his mind. He says a similiar thing in Mercy I think.

But I agree with you on the 'Leaving on the day of the dead' line. It makes more sense when you hear him say 'I will live again' right afterwards.

BTW does anyone know when this song was recorded? Was it meant for ATYCLB or HTDAAB?

last unicorn said:
And does anyone else think he's singing "I'm leaving on the day of the dead" :huh:.

He's definitely singing that. I don't know why anyone would suggest otherwise.

This is easily one of the five best songs from the HTDAAB sessions. It actually has atmosphere! What a miracle. I cannot believe that it was not included on the album.

Re: Re: I love SMILE!

Axver said:

He's definitely singing that. I don't know why anyone would suggest otherwise.
Yes, these lyrics are from the @ u2 lyrics page, and I wasn't sure about this line, hence the question. "Day of the dead" makes sense to me, especially followed by "I will live again". Great symbolism.

I agree that they should have included it on the album.

ihave never heard this song but i would love to hear it....any ideas where i can get it???:|

last unicorn said:
^ I sent it to you now. Sorry, I deleted your mail the first time. Hope you enjoy the song!

:)

i got your mail and the link,but i have never been to this site...so, do i need an account there to download this link because i have no clue how this should work anyway :( :confused:

^^ ok after klicking a hundred times on the download button it finally worked :happy: !!!thx so much last unicorn!!!
(btw are you from germany?)

AtomicBoy said:
^^ ok after klicking a hundred times on the download button it finally worked :happy: !!!thx so much last unicorn!!!
(btw are you from germany?)

Yeah, S F might be causing problems, they're so unreliable.

No, I am not from Germany, but from Vienna.

last unicorn said:

Yeah, S F might be causing problems, they're so unreliable.

No, I am not from Germany, but from Vienna.

ok i saw the .de in your email so i thought you're german...:wink: but vienna is definetly not germany :wink:
ok about the song... i just heard it once and my first impression is: wow what a beautiful quite voice...i think it would have fit perfectly in the vertigo shows...

yeah good to know that we have the same time :wink: because it's not that much often when you're starting a request or something like that...ok thx again and see you around ;)

Back
Top Bottom