I love Kite.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R.I.P. Bob

Kite makes me sad very often. :( But it is such a wonderful song. :up:

"Kite"=beautiful song.

Heartbreakingly sad, but beautiful.

Best part of the song, in my opinion:

I want you to know
That you don't need me anymore
I want you to know
You don't need anyone
Or anything at all

Who's to say where the wind will take you?
Who's to say what it is will break you
I don't know which way the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around?
Don't want to see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye

Man, every time I hear that part of the song, the way Bono sings it, especially that first portion up there, he sounds so sad...I just want to hug him or something.

Angela

I remember ages ago, reading about Bono and her little daughters, trying to fly a kite over the hill near their home...when I read that a song from their new album would be called Kite I started wondering how it would be...then the first 30 sec clip from U2.com...and I was ...WOW, different from everything I had heard before. Then the magic was complete when I downloaded the whole song a few nights before the album release.

I know I'm rumbling...but with that said, then it comes the truth...Kite is and awesome song, both lyrically and musically speaking.

Best version I have heard so far is from London August 21st...the night after Bono's dad had passed away. Talking about emotion and sadness...

:up:

Last edited:
I've always restled with the question of it being the best song off ATYCLB. Sometimes I feel it is (usually when I'm listening it to it), and sometimes I feel 'Walk On' is (usually when I'm listening to it!). I went through a point once when I thought 'Beautiful Day' was, too. Same with 'Stuck' believe it or not! And 'In A Little While'!! This just goes to show the diversity of ATYCLB. Truly a special album.

If there was some definitive way of measuring the best song off the album, and I found out it was 'Kite' I would be totally accepting. It's the type of song that just has to be played at full volume, and in a safe environment (preferably with padding). Such an emotionaly charged song, and so beautifully conveyed. The vocal is spot on, as are the rest of the band. That solo literally takes you to that place where you can "taste the salt and the sea."; you can literally feel the string of the "kite" pulling at you, the wind wind tugging in different directions. Lyrically astonishing in its use of subtlety. Really opens things up. What more can I say? I've already gone on far to much.:)

Don't ask why, but in typical U2 fashion, the best they offer to me is always a track that never makes it as a single.

Bad - The Unforgettable Fire
One Tree Hill/Running to Stand Still - The Joshua Tree
Until the End of the World - Achtung Baby!
Gone - Pop

and of course...

Kite - All That...

The Kite is about He and Ali.

It's a mature Love song.

(I never thought it was about his Dad, Bono works through mirrors and metaphor, he's not a Prose artist.)

It's summer, I can taste the salty sea
There's a kite blowing out of control on the breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

A beautiful song, indeed.

Orange333 said:
The Kite is about He and Ali.

It's a mature Love song.

(I never thought it was about his Dad, Bono works through mirrors and metaphor, he's not a Prose artist.)

Yeah? How do you figure?

Follower - I agree about August 21. The entire concert is so emotional, especially during WOWY when Bono can hardly finish the song.....it adds a whole new dimension to that song if you go back and listen to those lyrics and think of it in the context of that situation.

Kite is a great song, right now my favoriite on ATYCLB. It can be a real tearjerker if I listen to it when I'm feeling down anyway.

Kite is one of my all time faves, it would probably be #1 if it wasn't for the "hip hop drove the big cars" line, for some reason that part's always bugged me.

I just love this song. one of my favorites b ut something confuses me.

during the elevation tour bono stated that the song was about loosing someone, father, lover, best friend , child.......

and he also said that he wrote it about having children.

i wonder which one it is. or do you think that it changes for him?

RickFly said:
I just love this song. one of my favorites b ut something confuses me.

during the elevation tour bono stated that the song was about loosing someone, father, lover, best friend , child.......

and he also said that he wrote it about having children.

i wonder which one it is. or do you think that it changes for him?

Both. Life is change. Your grandparents and parents grow older and pass on, you gain children and grandchildren. As the cycle goes, you realize your own mortality. I believe that's what Bono is getting at; he's getting older, losing his father, and his children are rapidly growing up and growing away from him. It's a beautiful, poignant, bittersweet song about life's cycle. :sad:

I think Kite is U2's best song ever. And definitely Bono's best singing ever. This is the song that made me fall in love with U2 all over again. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom