I listened, and, now I dont like it!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
Im sorry, I know more than half of u right now will want to ram a flare up me bum and try and aim for 45 degree angle.......but over the weekend was listenin to the UF album and when MLK came on.......I just cringed, literally!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know why, I have never done so before, but it was like all of a sudden, Bono's voice sounded weak and not deep enough for it............(obv his voice has improved).....but I genuingly suddenly didnt like his voice with it!!!!!
eek.gif
It was like, his voice sounded more......more.........uhm........delicate and whispery, not helpin here him lick a lot....or somethin..........

it just.......annoyed me, irritated me, unless I have just outgrown that one song, or sound of his voice for that song........I dont feel guilty in sayin this............

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 05-20-2002).]

MLK is not my favorite, but I think that his voice was at his BEST during UF! It had a beautiful, haunting and dreamy quality that it never had before or since. He was also in his prime and at the height of his vocal abilities and range. Personally I love UF very, very, much. It's one of my favorites. But, I respect Maddie's opinion and know where she's coming from since I feel 'annoyed and irritated' and 'cringe' at his voice on most of the Pop songs. He sounded 'whispery' on Velvet Dress like he was losing his voice. I think Pop was his worst vocal performance ever. So I do think that it's possible to be a very good U2 fan and not like and worship every single song or every album and no one should be flamed.

------------------
~"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy,
I don't mind, think they're crazy
running everywhere at such a speed
'til they find, there's no need!
Please don't spoil my day,
I'm miles away,
and after all, I'm only sleeping!"~
John Lennon

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 05-20-2002).]

MLK is beautiful and enough to move the toughest of men to tears.
I don't like this thread
frown.gif

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

well, I don't hate the song, and it doesn't make me cringe, but I do find it kinda boring.

Oh no listen (((((((((((Basstrap))))))))))))

I never said I could not stand any of the other songs, jaysus they rock and kick arsey and I love his voice on them, but suddenly, I have just found this in me.......

I cant help how I feel..........but I dont tink thered be many of u out there to agree, obviously.

Originally posted by mad1:
Oh no listen (((((((((((Basstrap))))))))))))

I never said I could not stand any of the other songs, jaysus they rock and kick arsey and I love his voice on them, but suddenly, I have just found this in me.......

I cant help how I feel..........but I dont tink thered be many of u out there to agree, obviously.

Sorry Maddie if I misunderstood. I just mean it's okay, hey you like what you like and you don't what you don't, whatever it is.
smile.gif

MLK is great (imho). I totally flipped out when they started playing it at halftime of the Super Bowl. I had never heard it performed live before, and it was magical!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Ach no its ok Desire (((((((((desire))))))))))

pple here get misunderstood a lot.........and see? I LOVE Pop, yet you dont like his voice on it, but am I going to flame you? No way, cause ur a wee honey, and u all are.......its ur choice
smile.gif

MLK is the only one I find irritating now.............

sometimes a whisper is louder than a scream.

I like MLK ... a beautiful message ... it's almost like Bono took a look at the world around him and saw all of the hatred that is in some people and it almost doused the flam of home in him ... MLK is kind of like him saying, "I want to believe it will be better, but when I look around me, there's not much left to hope in."

Hope that makes sense ...

Don't worry if otehrs don't agree with you. We're not all going to agree 100% of the time. We're all so different and have different tastes.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

I've sang MLK as a lullaby to my friend's son when he was younger. And in doing so, I was able to see why the song was performed in the manner it was. "MLK" really is almost a lullaby - a song meant to be soothing and comforting, both praising and reassuring. As such, singing it in almost a whisper works beautifully.

The only times I have cringed during "MLK" is during a live performance. I didn't like it on "Rattle & Hum" (the movie) nor during the Super Bowl. Both times, it sounded like Bono's voice was cracking, as if he was trying to do a semi-whisper, which simply won't work.

I absolutely love MLK. But the only live versions I dig especially are the ones from PopMart, which were played with guitar (and usually followed with a cover of the Beatles' Rain).

Originally posted by mad1:
Im sorry, I know more than half of u right now will want to ram a flare up me bum and try and aim for 45 degree angle.......but over the weekend was listenin to the UF album and when MLK came on.......I just cringed, literally!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know why, I have never done so before, but it was like all of a sudden, Bono's voice sounded weak and not deep enough for it............(obv his voice has improved).....but I genuingly suddenly didnt like his voice with it!!!!!
eek.gif
It was like, his voice sounded more......more.........uhm........delicate and whispery, not helpin here him lick a lot....or somethin..........

it just.......annoyed me, irritated me, unless I have just outgrown that one song, or sound of his voice for that song........I dont feel guilty in sayin this............

[This message has been edited by mad1 (edited 05-20-2002).]

I completely respect your opinion, but you really think his voice has improved from UF? If anything, it's consistently gone downhill and is at its absolute worst now (sorry, B-man).

I like the studio version of MLK the best, although the truncated version they played at Amnesty in 86 before Pride to open the show was cool too. It was nice to hear those 2 songs linked together, especially since the subject matter is the same.

Back
Top Bottom