I like the album version of Please more than the single version.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tombola

The Fly
It seems everyone prefers the single version, but it has to be the album version for me every time. I just love the first "Love is big" part, and in particular the end with Bono and Edge harmonising.

It is good, no doubt about that. It just is missing something. But it is great in a more understated way. There is lots of cool stuff going on in the background too.

I think it has an eerie atmoshpere that is lacking in the later versions. Bono's voice sounds as though it is genuinely pleading.

I like the single version better... I think it has to do with the drums.

But I really like the intro on the album version.

Actually, the best version of Please is live from Rotterdam. Absolutely amazing. AND going into Streets... :drool: :drool: :drool:

I prefer the album version too, even though I really miss the solo at the end. Bono's voice and delivery on the album version is more haunting and there is indeed more harmonies, which I love. The extra strings on the single version never really made that much of a difference to me.

I really prefer the album version. Bono's vocals are much more intimate and pleading. Plus, there is something to be said for having restraint in a song. As much as Edge's guitar solo in the single fits, the way the album version builds to a peak, then slides into silence on a nice vocal harmony really is the best ending for me.

Please album version :rockon:

I really prefer this version, even though the guitar solo... it's not there :sad:

TheBrazilianFly said:
I prefer the album version too, even though I really miss the solo at the end. Bono's voice and delivery on the album version is more haunting and there is indeed more harmonies, which I love. The extra strings on the single version never really made that much of a difference to me.

:yes: The album version of Please is the one I grew up with, and even though the solo improves the song a lot, on the album I would not change a thing. and I never really liked the strings :shrug:

The best versions of Please though are, of course, LIVE :drool:

Tombola said:
I think it has an eerie atmoshpere that is lacking in the later versions. Bono's voice sounds as though it is genuinely pleading.

Very true! It sounds a little more desperate than the single version. But that solo in the single version is :drool:

Back
Top Bottom