I kind of have an understanding of Popmart... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2006, 05:19 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 01:05 AM
I kind of have an understanding of Popmart...

A lot of people think that POPMart was crap, and wasn't U2 at their best. However, we know that POP was probably their best work to date...

POPMart, from which I just learned a few nights ago, is based on commercialization and communisim. The golden arch is a parody of McDonalds...

This is my take on POPMart... I've read "The U2 Reader" and I know that U2 was making this distinct sound on POP that was going to revolutionize the music industry, they wanted to capture it and be one of the firsts to do it, after all it worked well on Achtung Baby.

POPMart was pretty much ZOO TV Part II, big screens, images, and lots of flashing colors. However, Bono wasn't making fun of society this time, it was in the songs, and the images on the screens. Everything that was done on POPMART was part a spoof on how commercial everything was, how rock stars feel their "gods" compared to the concert goers. But also, that concerts were going to be revolutionized. For U2, this was the peak that they would reach, before 'failing' in America. It wasn't received well in America, but that doesn't matter too much.

U2 took a gamble with ZOO TV, and took another gamble with POPMart, but this time -- it wasn't well received, people saw through ZOO TV and realized that POPMart was just too big and too flashy, even for a concert.

Old 07-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 10:05 PM
Re: I kind of have an understanding of Popmart...

I attended to Santiago 11-02-1998 and it was a landmark gig indeed but I don't remember feeling confuzed, dizzy, saturate, etc, by the images they were fantastic and impressive, but they didn't stole the show, that was band's performance

I don't know about Zoo TV but a friend told me the same story

Old 07-23-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 08:05 PM
Nothing beats thier performances of Please & Streets during Popmart.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 02:05 AM
I saw my PopMart Mexico videotape again yesterday. What an outburst of emotions!

I need this concert on DVD, but I wonder if it will ever happen. PopMart has always been the scapegoat, which is not fair at all, it's a brilliant show.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
There are so many songs on the Popmart tour that they need to bring back. Maybe on thier next tour they will replace the Achtung Baby set with a Pop one with HMTMKMKM.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Acrobat

I see that Mc Donalds arch when i go to work and cant help thinking of Popmart.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by beachball
I saw my PopMart Mexico videotape again yesterday. What an outburst of emotions!

I need this concert on DVD, but I wonder if it will ever happen. PopMart has always been the scapegoat, which is not fair at all, it's a brilliant show.
Amen. I want this on DVD. U2 doesnt need to be so negative about POP. It was a great album with great songs.

The mexico concert deserves to come out on DVD just like the Sydney ZooTV concert did.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by The Searcher
A lot of people think that POPMart was crap, and wasn't U2 at their best.
US People you mean , coz it was the only country in the world which didn't like it ...... who knows could have been offend or something by the McDonald's thing ..... No but Serious Mate , except in the US , go for any review of the persons , in Europe , in America , in ther other places , Popmart was an immense succes .

So remember that , when you say people didn't like Popmart , put in United States People
Old 07-23-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:05 PM
I don't think they were going to revolutionize the music industry with the sound they were going for with POP, since afterall, it borrowed from sounds that existed and were popular at the time.

The same can be said about Achtung Baby as well.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
you are what you is

I preferred POPMart to ZOOTV (at least the shows I went to)

that being said I thought POPMart got a bit boring because it started to sound like a ZOO TV rehash until they started playing Pride + Still haven't found
then the show got the soul that won me over (and MOFO was a great opener)
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:35 PM

Quote:
A lot of people think that POPMart was crap, and wasn't U2 at their best. However, we know that POP was probably their best work to date...

POPMart, from which I just learned a few nights ago, is based on commercialization and communisim. The golden arch is a parody of McDonalds...

This is my take on POPMart... I've read "The U2 Reader" and I know that U2 was making this distinct sound on POP that was going to revolutionize the music industry, they wanted to capture it and be one of the firsts to do it, after all it worked well on Achtung Baby.

POPMart was pretty much ZOO TV Part II, big screens, images, and lots of flashing colors. However, Bono wasn't making fun of society this time, it was in the songs, and the images on the screens. Everything that was done on POPMART was part a spoof on how commercial everything was, how rock stars feel their "gods" compared to the concert goers. But also, that concerts were going to be revolutionized. For U2, this was the peak that they would reach, before 'failing' in America. It wasn't received well in America, but that doesn't matter too much.

U2 took a gamble with ZOO TV, and took another gamble with POPMart, but this time -- it wasn't well received, people saw through ZOO TV and realized that POPMart was just too big and too flashy, even for a concert.

That's a great analysis
Old 07-24-2006, 02:12 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I think alot of US public didn't like Pop or Popmart for two more reasons:
1. Pop is very European, I think alot of Americans didn't get it.
2. Popmart In Las Vegas. The versions of Do You Feel Loved & If God Would Send His Angels were...well, they make me feel sad beacuse Bono is trying so hard to keep the songs going. I think alot of Americans heard or saw it and were scarred by it. Seriously, if you ever get the chance to listen to the DYFL or Angels from Las Vegas you should just to understand what early Popmart must have been like for the band.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:13 AM   #13
Refugee

ZOO TV was their best 'cause it set the standard for all the following mega-shows.
i don't see POPmart as ZOO TV part 2 for me it was a show on its own using great animations on XXL-(led)screen. i was at 4 POPmart shows and i got addicted then. the start of the show every time it was mindblowing...(popmuzik intro, entering the stage and slipping into the majestic MOFO. POPmart was unique and in retrospect its state of the art with all the animations and the then usage of software...
Old 07-24-2006, 06:42 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Much as I loved Pop Mart, compared to ZOO TV, it was a pale shadow.
The message behind Popmart, which I'm well aware of, was lost in my opinion. I doubt if many people who went to the popmart gigs, but werent diehard U2 fans would have really got it. WIth Zoo Tv it would be difficult not to get it. Not because ZOO Tv was dumbed down, but because the meaning was put across so much better.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:25 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by An Cat Gav
Much as I loved Pop Mart, compared to ZOO TV, it was a pale shadow.
The message behind Popmart, which I'm well aware of, was lost in my opinion. I doubt if many people who went to the popmart gigs, but werent diehard U2 fans would have really got it. With Zoo Tv it would be difficult not to get it. Not because ZOO Tv was dumbed down, but because the meaning was put across so much better.
I'm the total opposite. As much as I love U2 and Bono, I've never caught on to ZooTV. I'm not a big fan of Bono's voice during that era, and the whole alter-egos thing kind makes me go Sure it was a great show, great songs, but IMO PopMart takes the cake for me. The PopMusic > Mofo > I Will Follow and Please > Streets > More Streets combos make the PopMart setlists my favorite to date.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:41 AM   #16
The Male

Local Time: 05:05 PM

Quote:
we know that POP was probably their best work to date...

That's a new one. Now, folks aren't just saying that they think Pop is U2's best work, but that it's common knowledge...

Quote:

But good analysis anyway.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:45 AM   #17
The Male

Local Time: 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
2. Popmart In Las Vegas. The versions of Do You Feel Loved & If God Would Send His Angels were...well, they make me feel sad beacuse Bono is trying so hard to keep the songs going. I think alot of Americans heard or saw it and were scarred by it. Seriously, if you ever get the chance to listen to the DYFL or Angels from Las Vegas you should just to understand what early Popmart must have been like for the band.
WTF are you going on about? Do You Feel Loved was a gorgeous version. Dead on, really. And IGWSHA wasn't far behind. You must be thinking of SATS, a version that was truly abominable.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:19 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:05 AM
"Bigger, better and faster than Zoo TV" - Paul McGuiness

Not really.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
"Bigger, better and faster than Zoo TV" - Paul McGuiness

Not really.
Definately not!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
I think alot of US public didn't like Pop or Popmart for two more reasons:
1. Pop is very European, I think alot of Americans didn't get it.
There is so much crap written about how the US "didn't like" or "didn't get" Popmart, really, who is anyone outside the US to judge whether or not Americans "got it" ???

Stadium shows, while not sold out to a large degree, were attracting as many fans as the same cities were attracting during the Elevation/HTDAAB shows.

Reviews in the press were generally favorable.

So, I challenge everyone who says "Americans didn't get it" to explain what makes them think the general American U2 fan didn't getit.

The casual fan maybe didn't get it, hence th elower sales, and obviously judging by the mediocrity of HTDAAB and ATYCLB, they have won back the casual fan.