I just wanted to say something about Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuvandPeace1980

War Child
I went off this song for a while. Originally I liked the album version then later on discovered that there was a single version.. started leaning towards the Temple bar mix. But I say U2 in Dublin this year and I must say that the guitaring in that songs when played with Edge's electric guitar is amazing. And when I heard it at Croke Park it actually kicked back in my love for the actual album version.

I just think this song is a really awesome song now.
It's definately in my top 10 of U2's for sure for me! And the Album version is way better than the single mixes! :madspit:

I say all who do not bow down and worship the album and Vertigo tour version be taken out the back and given a flogging. :tongue:

A meandering, shuffling snoozer that starts slow and never really hits take-off speed. A ripped-off title, dopey sha-la-la s, clunky lyrics, this is Achtung Baby's only dud.

xana dew said:
A meandering, shuffling snoozer that starts slow and never really hits take-off speed. A ripped-off title, dopey sha-la-la s, clunky lyrics, this is Achtung Baby's only dud.

Your a U2 snob!
You aint heard the song live before, when you have come back here and say that you meandering shuffling snoozer!

LuvandPeace1980 said:

Your a U2 snob!
You aint heard the song live before, when you have come back here and say that you meandering shuffling snoozer!

LuvandPeace-- my apologies. I tried to go back and edit my post but an hour had already elapsed. It was snotty of me to rain on your thread--sorry!

It's an amazing song that I rediscovered recently.

Beautiful and touching...

Well, I hate the line "You stole it cause I needed the cash, and you killed..." but in the other hand there are the bridge's lyrics and the rest of the song. It's awesome.

MacPhistoPT said:
It's an amazing song that I rediscovered recently.

Beautiful and touching...

Well, I hate the line "You stole it cause I needed the cash, and you killed..." but in the other hand there are the bridge's lyrics and the rest of the song. It's awesome.

Ahh I used to hate those lines too because they made no sense, but I have found out something more about it lately I feel.

Interpret 'You stole it cause I needed the cash" as 'you stole it from me cause i needed the cash' and what this is saying is that the character the song refers to took the money because they knew you really needed it(spite)
And 'you killed it(the relationship or the love) because I wanted revenge' means that the character ended the relationship or love because of something the character did wrong in the past(again spite and also the character is very insecure because of her own actions from the past)
I think the key to unlocking those lyrics or finding out how they work is the next lyric which flows into it very sarcastically I might add.
Bono says 'Would you lie to me, cause’ I asked you to? but baby can we still be friends' which in a way shows that the character the song is referring to is a bit screwed up(says one thing does another etc..) I also think the person penning the song actually wants to be friend but knows the character way to well to ever think it’s going to happen, soon anyway.
This lyric uncovers alot about the characters flaws and whilst doing that has some stabs(Anger) at her/him(probably edges wife) whilst also folding in some feelings of disappointment/loss. This also continues in the next song So Cruel which is such an awesome song too!

That’s why I like this song; I think it’s cleverer than its surface

Cheers

PS: I was in a bad mood yesterday too Xana, thanks so much for the apology though it means something to me!

Last edited:
For me, it's the bridge that makes this song. Beautiful emotional vocals from Bono. I'm not so keen on what happpens after the bridge and agree that the tempo of the song doesn't always seem to work quite as it was meant to, but overall a great song :up:

When I bought Achtung Baby, this was the song that I liked the most after one or two listens. Now its about 5th or 6th best, but I still love it.

Back
Top Bottom