i just picked up Live Aid DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesseu2

Refugee
It is in my hands finally an i'm about to open it an see the goodies inside :D an then pop in the dvd with u2 on it first, of course!

picture and sound soo damn good

on july 13, 2005 i am gonna watch the entire thing from beginning to end as a 20 yr anniversary dedication.

I saw it today and i'm kickin myself tonight for not buying it...:banghead:
I guess i'll get it tomorrow then at my lunch break :lol:
:dance:

well, a review of first dvd..

i love soo many bands on here too, saw Paul Young's "Everytime you go away" which is a special song to me as my mom an i share this as 'our song'. also loved stings an phil collins 'every breath you take' an stings Roxanne. i'm not even through the first dvd yet.

this box set is amazing let me tell you!

one of the reasons why i like the live aid dvds are cuz it includes jack nicholson's intro to u2 an the vcds an dvd boots i seen dont have this. plus the quality kicks bootlegs asses!

and the 'Do they know it's christmas time' an USA For Africa videos are on here too at beginning before the concert, also news blurb from 1984 London TV

Finally, after waiting almost 20 years I get to re-watch Live Aid. The Coldstream Guards playing the fanfare before ‘The Royal Salute’ at the beginning with Bob Geldof taking his seat next to Charles & Di gave me chills. I did not get to see it live as I was in Norway at the time but I remember the newspaper headline of the day. “Beatles Reunion?” (Or however you spell reunion in Norwegian.) The rumor was the 3 remaining members were going to perform together in London.

I got to watch the concert a week later. A friend had recorded the full BBC feed and lent me the tapes. I started watching them at 12:00 noon, the same as time the show began. I was so blown away. What the hell happened to Ultravox, Spandau Ballet & Alison Moyet? Just brilliant. (I am watching DVD 1 as I type) There was so much talent in Britain at the time. The Sex Pistols had rejuvenated British music and the New Wave artists dominated (how these young bands came out sounding so good and Led Zep didn’t is beyond me). Sting and Phil Collins were still cool and a lot of the old timers, most of whom are still around played their part. David Gilmore backing Brian Ferry? Now that’s a trip. (It’s a shame that Brian Eno didn’t join him too). A reunited Who, Mick & Tina, there are just so many highlights.

And of course there was U2. (Introduced by Jack Nicholson from Philadelphia) They didn’t quite have that New Romantic look about them, like so many bands of the time, but dam did they sound good. The world got to discover what college kids had known for a while. And they made their presence known. U2 flags are seen throughout the Wembley footage. I had seen them previously on Channel 4’s showing of Red Rocks, even taped it (and taped over it, sorry) but it wasn’t until seeing this concert that I became a fan.

Even though so much has been edited out I cannot recommend this DVD set highly enough. (Maybe for the 40th anniversary they will release the full version) The picture is perfect and the 5.1 sound is awesome. And unlike so many concert videos of today, there is no canned audience and the camera edits do not switch with the lightning speed of a TV commercial. If you can, watch the full concert in one sitting. So many songs took on new meanings that day, ‘I Don’t Like Mondays’ ‘Drive’ and ‘Is This The World We Created?’ to name just a few. A true milestone in Rock & Roll history.

Who stole the show, U2 or Queen? These two performances alone almost justify the cost of the DVDs. Pick up a copy and decide for yourself.

Money raised from the sale of this DVD will go to The Band Aid Trust.

For this version: A
For the 40th anniversary edition: A+

Well, i don't have the dvd yet but i remember watching Live Aid the first time around because that is where i first discovered U2...i was watching and wondering who in the world was this guy singing this INCREDIBLE song and picking a girl right out of the crowd and embracing her as he was singing...what a powerful moment...i became an instant fan and the next year was lucky enough to attend the Amnesty International Concert at Giants Stadium and see U2 play live for the very first time...wow, it seems like such a long time ago but i have been a fan since then and between then and now have seen them play live about 40 times in the US and Europe and each time it gets better and better...i can't wait to see the new show...i have been lurking on this board for a while and have been blown away by the generosity of the U2 fans and how everyone shares information, music etc...this is a very special board and I am glad to have stopped lurking and started posting...

uwwedoogie said:
$20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to pay €70 to buy it!!! can anybody rip U2's performance??
use 1 Click DVD Ripper or something??

I cannot believe this post!!
Get out there and buy it you scabby sh*t! There are hundreds of people dying as we read these forums! The purpose of this dvd is to help feed/educate/medicate these people!!!

You make me sick!

In the original radio broadcast, there was a burst of static during Bad, right after Bono finished dancing with the girl. He says "Bring It Up" and then sings the "Let It Go" lyric. The static occurs during the Let It Go part. On all the bootlegs of this version, the static has been edited out and the resulting edit sounds like a little skip in the record. If you haven't heard the original broadcast and know what to look for you may not know what I'm talking about.

Is the version on the dvd unedited? Or is it edited a different way? Anyone?

uwwedoogie said:
$20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to pay €70 to buy it!!! can anybody rip U2's performance??

yes, people like you disgust me. the reason why Bob Zwas released is because bootleggers were selling copies of it. Last thing we need is people making lesser quality or exact copies of these dvds. get the originals like the way it should be.

go buy em when they get cheaper or price search online.

people in Africa need the money, do a good deed and don't think of yourself!

uwwedoogie said:

Go buy it you cheap bastard.

Do you even GET what Live Aid was all about ?

I'm sure if it was someone from the US who posted this we'd be reading all kinds of shit.

Can't afford it ? Go cut someone's grass, wash their car, use your beer/cigarette money.

Sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom