I just noticed something really clever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

junkydog

The Fly
In the intro to 'Streets'.. there is quite a sublime little rhthym change! The edge starts off a 6/8, but then changes to a 4/4 rhthym! I picked it up by counting along to Larrys hats... try it and see!

No wonder the edge has been getting along so well with Dave Matthews of late!

Yeah, they discuss this in the purple 'making of The Joshua Tree' dvd. Kinda funny...Adam or Bono jokes about how they were mad at Edge when he came up with it because no rock song is in 6/8 and it'd be impossible for the rest of the band to come in at 6/8. :lol:

junkydog said:
In the intro to 'Streets'.. there is quite a sublime little rhthym change! The edge starts off a 6/8, but then changes to a 4/4 rhthym! I picked it up by counting along to Larrys hats... try it and see!
You're acting like you just discovered a secret no one noticed before. :lol: The truth is, any musician who ever tried to play the Streets into could've told you that. Because, playing that part in 4/4 is impossible.

Still, good find. :)

Re: Re: I just noticed something really clever!

WalkOn21 said:
You're acting like you just discovered a secret no one noticed before. :lol: The truth is, any musician who ever tried to play the Streets into could've told you that. Because, playing that part in 4/4 is impossible.

Still, good find. :)

Well I always enjoyed learning new things about U2 in my early fan-dom, and still do. Obvious or not.

i think it's actually 6/4. . .

i remember trying to play this song for the first few times, and losing track 100% until a friend of mine who's a drummer observed to me that the intro was in a different time :banghead:

Re: Re: I just noticed something really clever!

WalkOn21 said:

fair go mate... not all of us have tried to play the intro before..

Re: Re: Re: I just noticed something really clever!

junkydog said:

fair go mate... not all of us have tried to play the intro before..
Of course not. And of course you can post things like this on the forum. There are always people that didn't know yet. :)

I was only amused by your writing style, suggesting that it was a very secret thing no one noticed before. :wink:

i didn't know that.
i also don't understand it because i'm not a musician

thanks for the intel :up:

I'm reminded of this everytime I hear a live version of the song. Listen to Larry's drumstick clicks.

junkydog said:

No wonder the edge has been getting along so well with Dave Matthews of late!

Good Morning and welcome on the musical side of U2...
:wink:

COBL_04 said:
For us non-musicians, how can you tell the difference??
Hard to explain if you don't know anything about musical theory. Here's in extreme layman's terms:

Basically, in a 4/4 piece, you can count to four and at beat 1 be at the same musical spot again.

Code:
1  2           3     4      1  2  3  4  1  2          3     4      1
 Where the streets have no name,        where the streets have no name

Notice that the 1,2,3,4 are at the same spot each time (e.g., the 3 is on the word 'streets').
You can't count to 6 (as in 6/4 or 6/8) on this piece, because the 1 wouldn't be in the same spot. On the intro it's the opposite: you can't count to 4, but 6 works.

For the other musicians out here: the above is, like I said, in layman's terms. I know being able to count to 6 alone doesn't make something a 6/8 piece. But you don't expect me to go explaining about the organisation of 8th notes and such, do you?

Canadiens1160 said:
I'm reminded of this everytime I hear a live version of the song. Listen to Larry's drumstick clicks.

That's exactly how I figured it out too. Now when listening to the song either Live (in person) Live (boot) Album (which isn't there!!!) I find myself listening for Larry's drumstick clicks :huh:

Last edited:
WalkOn21 said:
Hard to explain if you don't know anything about musical theory. Here's in extreme layman's terms:

Basically, in a 4/4 piece, you can count to four and at beat 1 be at the same musical spot again.

Code:
1  2           3     4      1  2  3  4  1  2          3     4      1
 Where the streets have no name,        where the streets have no name

Notice that the 1,2,3,4 are at the same spot each time (e.g., the 3 is on the word 'streets').
You can't count to 6 (as in 6/4 or 6/8) on this piece, because the 1 wouldn't be in the same spot. On the intro it's the opposite: you can't count to 4, but 6 works.

For the other musicians out here: the above is, like I said, in layman's terms. I know being able to count to 6 alone doesn't make something a 6/8 piece. But you don't expect me to go explaining about the organisation of 8th notes and such, do you?

here we go:

In music, simple metre or simple time is a time signature or metre in which each beat (or rather, portion, 1/2 or 1/3 of a measure) is divided into two parts, as opposed to three which is compound metre.

For example, 3/4 is divided into three parts, making it triple metre, of two quavers (eighth notes) each, making it simple metre (simple triple metre).

have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_(music)

but at the end, nothing a nonmusician would have to worry about.
just a different rhythmic feeling.
You can`t recognize it that easy because it`s just the guitar in the intro. One would easily hear it if it`s played with full drums.

hump da da vs. boom cha boom cha

;)

Back
Top Bottom