I just downloaded 'Miss Sarajevo' (Live)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I just downloaded the live version of 'Miss Sarajevo'...

I hadn't heard the live version before. It's gorgeous, and I like how Pavaratti comes in twice. Bono's falsettos are dead on. I love hearing the crowd clap to the beauty of it, and Bono chanting in Italian at the end. Amazing Performance.

Last edited:
It's from the Pavaratti and friends benefit concert, the same one where the live version of 'One' is played that appears on the 'Miss Sarajevo' single. I think it was called the War Child Concert. I downloaded it from Kazza (type "miss sarajevo live").

ooh, i have that pavaratti cd. i remember buying it in like 95 when it came out cuz i was like "bono, the edge, simon le bon, and delores o'riordan are on this? awesome!" :laugh:

edit: i guess i should admit i've never listened to the other songs on the cd. i saw the video of it once on tv somewhere.

Last edited:
"Pavarotti."

Just in case he sees this thread and begins to complain that his name wasn't spelled correctly once. :)

Bono's chanting at the end is actually not Italian except for "Gracia" at the very end. It's a bit from an old Croatian poem, which translates something like "oh beautiful, or dear, or sweet freedom" (oh lijeba, oh draga, oh sladka slobodo).

Saracene said:
Bono's chanting at the end is actually not Italian except for "Gracia" at the very end. It's a bit from an old Croatian poem, which translates something like "oh beautiful, or dear, or sweet freedom" (oh lijeba, oh draga, oh sladka slobodo).

Very close!

It's "O lijepa / O draga / O slatka / Slobodo" by Ivan Gundulic.

The full verse would be "oh beautiful, oh dear, oh sweet freedom, which the Lord on high has given to us", but Bono just chanted the first part.

Yes, my ethnic background is Croatian; I speak it pretty well. :)

Ima jos jedan, Marko is Zagreba. Jesi ti u hrvatskoj?

Back
Top Bottom