I have Pop on repeat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
chickadee said:
... what better way to spend a Friday night?

That sounds like a great way to spend a night to me. When I read your post five hours ago, it became my plan for the night as well. Sadly, too many things have distracted me to let me get through it just once uninterrupted!

Zootlesque said:
It's about time everyone realized that this is a fucking excellent album! It does not deserve the bad rap it gets from the media and the band themselves. It's my 2nd fav album after Achtung and I love every song here!

Hey Zoot the band regrets the album because they know they didn't finish it completely. I think it's a good album, almost great, but it feels (to me) like it's missing something. But I have to admit that it contains two of my favorite U2 songs in "Gone" and "Please". :yes:

Axver said:

Pop has some wonderful songs on it, and some of my favourite U2 lyrics.

:up:

Sadly, "Pop" also has some of my least favorite lyrics and some of my least favorite U2 songs. It really is an unpolished album that hasn't aged well with me at all. "Gone" stands out, thankfully.

I listened to some of "Pop" recently - just didn't do much for me. :sigh:

I enjoy Pop alot more than I used to.
I can kinda see both sides of the spectrum. Those that love it, and those that hate it. It's definitely a hit and miss album at the same time. some songs jump out at me for their supreme awesomeness like Disco/Mofo/Please, and i luv em :love: but others leave me either yawning (WUDM) or holding back chunks (The Playboy Mansion)

Overall I would say it's more underrated outside this forum, and massively overrated here. But i adore U2 so i don't mind their work being overrated :D

doctorwho said:

:up:

Sadly, "Pop" also has some of my least favorite lyrics and some of my least favorite U2 songs. It really is an unpolished album that hasn't aged well with me at all. "Gone" stands out, thankfully.

I listened to some of "Pop" recently - just didn't do much for me. :sigh:

Yeah but aren't you the one guy who doesn't like The Joshua Tree?

Speaks for itself.

:wink:

Actually I broke out POP the other day and was pleasantly surprised about how much more I liked it than I had rememered.

I always thought half of it was brilliant, but that other half gets better with age, especially after the latest stuff hasn't done it for me. I think it's mighty flawed though. Playboy Mansion can still fill a room with turd whiff.

I've been listening to it like this recently - I figure there are some songs for which no studio mix will ever match the live version, so I just put the live versions in instead...

1.Discotheque
2.Do You Feel Loved
3.Mofo(Live)
4.If God Will Send His Angels(Single)
5.Staring At The Sun
6.Last Night On Earth(Single)
7.Gone(Live)
8.Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
9.Miami
10.The Playboy Mansion
11.If You Wear That Velvet Dress
12.Please(Live)
13.Wake Up Dead Man

namkcuR said:
I've been listening to it like this recently - I figure there are some songs for which no studio mix will ever match the live version, so I just put the live versions in instead...

You left off Miami live? Is it because the transition into Bullet makes it sound strange on a disc by itself?

U2DMfan said:

You left off Miami live? Is it because the transition into Bullet makes it sound strange on a disc by itself?

I want the record to still be predominantly studio recordings...I mean, I could also put LNOE live in there, but I don't want it to get to the point where half the album is live...Miami is a lot better live though....hmm...

namkcuR said:

1.Discotheque
2.Do You Feel Loved
3.Mofo(Live)
5.Staring At The Sun
7.Gone(Live)
9.Miami
10.The Playboy Mansion
12.Please(Live)
13.Wake Up Dead Man

Mofo live is badass, but it can't compare to the studio version - yes, you read that right. It's all in the ending. The end of Mofo is possibly the greatest thing U2 has ever done. The sheer amount of sounds swirling around is insane. It's surreal. Whenever I listen to it, it takes me to another place. Yes, the live version was good with the "move me a mountain" bit, but it could never quite match the full-on assault of the studio version.

Also, I'd put LNOE and Miami on live if you're gonna go with live versions...and if you're going to randomly put in Hold Me you might as well make that live too :wink:

AtomicBono said:

Mofo live is badass, but it can't compare to the studio version - yes, you read that right. It's all in the ending. The end of Mofo is possibly the greatest thing U2 has ever done. The sheer amount of sounds swirling around is insane. It's surreal. Whenever I listen to it, it takes me to another place. Yes, the live version was good with the "move me a mountain" bit, but it could never quite match the full-on assault of the studio version.

Also, I'd put LNOE and Miami on live if you're gonna go with live versions...and if you're going to randomly put in Hold Me you might as well make that live too :wink:

I'm gonna disagree.
I think on some Mofo versions live, the ending is awesome.
Some of them, like the Mexico City shitty version, Bono is just doing his talk/singing. On the others he is belting out Move Me a Mountain.

The guitar is certainly better on the album, in the ending.

But the thing for me that puts the live versions over the top are the little segue with the piano and the cool ass Adam part, and the whole song is just an assault. All kinds of noises going on and Larry is just going off and you can actually hear him.

U2DMfan said:

I'm gonna disagree.
I think on some Mofo versions live, the ending is awesome.
Some of them, like the Mexico City shitty version, Bono is just doing his talk/singing. On the others he is belting out Move Me a Mountain.

The guitar is certainly better on the album, in the ending.

But the thing for me that puts the live versions over the top are the little segue with the piano and the cool ass Adam part, and the whole song is just an assault. All kinds of noises going on and Larry is just going off and you can actually hear him.

You don't like it when Bono sings all low and Edge belts it out high? You want them both belting it out?

Is there a particular version that you like a lot?

AtomicBono - I love HMTMKMKM live, but the studio version is just a different beast. It is fuller, lusher, darker, and Bono's vocals on sound the dirtiest of anything I've ever heard him sing. He sounds like Satan on the studio version of that song.

After listening to the Leeds performance of Miami, I've decided it's going on my running order.

I'm toying with LNOE live...only for the monsterous live outro.

Everything bar Playboy Mansion stands up to repeated play. Although I might be biased slightly by the fact that it was my first U2 album back in 1997, I've no doubt that this is one of their best albums. If you talk about the trio of albums theory, then what's to top Acthung Baby/Zooropa/Pop. Throw in the sometimes excellent Original Sountracks 1 and you've got one hell of a decade.

Originally posted by namkcuR

1.Discotheque
2.Do You Feel Loved
3.Mofo(Live)
5.Staring At The Sun
7.Gone(Live)
9.Miami
10.The Playboy Mansion
12.Please(Live)
13.Wake Up Dead Man

I've always thought that there could have been room for Holy Joe (Garage Mix) and/or I'm Not Your Baby (either with Sinead O'Connor or a Bono solo vocal)

WalkOn21 said:

I'd rather have unpolished POP than overpolished HTDAAB. :up:

:applaud:

I agree with nam on the HMTMKMKM studio track. The live versions simply don't compare to the dark awesomeness of the studio version! :drool:

And I've heard just one live version of Miami I think but I still prefer the studio version there as well.

And Gone!!! C'mon man, Gone has got to be studio!!!

Anyway, I like the list overall. :up:

Ah, of course a thread about Pop can't go without taking pot shots at any/both of last two album(s). One member missing in the bomb squad though...

It's in the middle of U2 albums, it's not the "3rd masterpiece and best since AB/JT" and it's not the "worst U2 album", the two extreme views on this album here.

U2girl said:
Ah, of course a thread about Pop can't go without taking pot shots at any/both of last two album(s). One member missing in the bomb squad though...

It's in the middle of U2 albums, it's not the "3rd masterpiece and best since AB/JT" and it's not the "worst U2 album", the two extreme views on this album here.

EXTREME!!! WOOOOOO!!!!

my xtreme view of Pop is that it's the best album ever made by anyone

Argh! I didn't start this so people could have a go at other albums I also love (the last two). Just a plain and simple celebration of Pop would be fine, thanking ya.

Now, I STILL have it on repeat from last night. And I'm nowhere near bored. I think everyone should do it! ;)

chickadee said:
Argh! I didn't start this so people could have a go at other albums I also love (the last two). Just a plain and simple celebration of Pop would be fine, thanking ya.

Now, I STILL have it on repeat from last night. And I'm nowhere near bored. I think everyone should do it! ;)

are you trying to say it's possible to like Pop and the last two albums? nonsense! everyone knows it all went downhill after Pop, that's when U2 SOLD OUT and became something LESS THAN THEMSELVES.

whatever the fuck that even means.

chickadee said:

dont take it personally.

this happens in every pop thread.

if you start another one in a few weeks/months, the same people will come in and say, "OMFg!@1! I don't UnderSTand why peoEPel have toBash othEr albulms if They like pOp!11!"

its par for the course

U2DMfan said:

Yeah but aren't you the one guy who doesn't like The Joshua Tree?

Speaks for itself.

:wink:

Well, often my posts on JT are met to be sarcastic. :sexywink: I just get SO tired of seeing people bash HTDAAB or ATYCLB while praising JT, as if JT deserves that type of praise.

Honestly, I put JT and "Pop" at about the same level - they are both near the bottom of my list of U2 albums. I feel both could have been a LOT better.

In 2001, shortly after ATYCLB was released, I listened to "Pop" at work. At first, it brought back a flood of memories from 1997 and I enjoyed it. I listened to it a second time immediately, but this time I noticed I wasn't really enjoying it. The reminiscing was done and now I was hearing the album - while working - and it did nothing for me.

I listened to part of "Pop" very recently (just last week) at work (a new job). And again, no reminiscing and the album just wasn't up to snuff.

JT is the same. Even back in 1987, I would listen to about 3 songs then turn on something else!

In contrast, when AB was released, I found myself listening to the album repeatedly. I will admit, a part of me missed some of Bono's wailing, which I had adored (from UF to R&H). But the songs were SO strong that it didn't matter. And the few token wails there were stood out.

To this day, while there are a few weaknesses on "Zooropa", I still enjoy the album very much. And I adore most of the remixes from that album too.

But "Pop"... something wasn't quite right. I enjoyed the album in 1997, but even then I knew I was defending something that I wasn't 100% behind.

Still, like JT, "Pop" had some brilliant works. "Mofo" and "Gone" leap out. I still enjoy "Discotheque" and "Staring...". Except for the screaming, I love "Miami" (I want to make a mix of "Miami" that removes those annoying screams - it just ruins the song). Trouble is, I find the Jules Holland mix of "If You Wear..." to be brilliant - but the album version is not. I don't like any of the remixes of "Discotheque" and, as much as I like to think I am religiously open-minded, I am a bit offended by "Wake Up". So there ya have it.

PlaTheGreat said:

Actually, I like the single version of "Last Night" more than the album version. Bono's voice is more clear and powerful. Of course, the video for that song is :puke: . I do like "Last Night" as well, but I think U2 have done a LOT better on the last two albums, hence why "Pop" has fallen in my personal world.

But one thing I try to stress is that even if "October", JT and "Pop" are low on my list of U2 albums (actually, they are the bottom three), compared to all other albums, I find them brilliant. Radiohead's "OK Computer" was released in 1997. Everyone praised it endlessly. I had fallen away from Radiohead for a few years, dismissing them as yet another grunge band who had a hit years earlier. But this praise brought me back. So I bought "OK Computer". That album is the biggest pile of crap ever! I tried and tried and tried and tried to like it - I couldn't. How people praised that CD while dismissing "Pop" was beyond my comprehension. Then there's 1987- JT was easily the best album that year, nothing came close.

In other words, it's all relative. :)

U2SavesTheWorld said:

dont take it personally.

this happens in every pop thread.

if you start another one in a few weeks/months, the same people will come in and say, "OMFg!@<!-- NO SPAM --><!-- NO SPAM -->1! I don't UnderSTand why peoEPel have toBash othEr albulms if They like pOp!11!"

its par for the course

It would be helpful is the same people didn't keep the "OMG! I will bash ATYCLB/Bomb/both of them even if this thread has nothing to do with either of those albums!!!" mentality over and over again.

doctorwho said:

How people praised that CD while dismissing "Pop" was beyond my comprehension.

thas easy because OKC>POP:wink:

either way POP is a great fucking album, one of U2's best:drool:

Back
Top Bottom