I have found the perfect song.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Don't know if anyone's noticed but I have been away for some while. My computer has a virus and my Dad is too lazy to fix it, while I don't know how. So I'm at my local library and I have something to say:

One (Live from Slane Castle, Ireland 2001) is my favourite performance of any song, live, studio, remix, whatever I have ever heard. For those who know me you might know I'm not a huge fan of the 90's, more a lover of the 00's :wink:. But this particular performance is absolutely amazing.

The thing that some U2 songs have in common is that they reach a certain 'high' in the song. For example, Streets reaches a high in the chorus. RTSS, the last verse, etc. The problem I have with One is the album version is a bit bland for me. It's a great song, especially with the backing of the drag clip, but its high is from the 'love is a temple' verse to the falsetto at the end ('higher...'). I can't explain it well as you can see but to me its missing something.

This is not true live. The Slane performance is so much more emotional, more touching, at the risk of sounding like a weirdo magical in a way. It reaches that 'high' during Edge's briliant outro solo but then goes another step further with the 'do you hear us coming/calling Lord?' verse. To me that takes from 5/5 to 6/5. Perfect.

COBL_04 said:

This is not true live. The Slane performance is so much more emotional, more touching, at the risk of sounding like a weirdo magical in a way. It reaches that 'high' during Edge's briliant outro solo but then goes another step further with the 'do you hear us coming/calling Lord?' verse. To me that takes from 5/5 to 6/5. Perfect.

yeah, it's OK,

but I think the PopMart Mexico 'One' is waay better...

...and the 'One' from 'Miss Sarajevo' single is just :drool:

WalkOn21 said:
Oh, what a surprise. A topic about One being the perfect song. :|

:sigh: Yeah. I don't understand why this song is praised at all.

Axver said:

Agreed, I can think of about 20 songs that are much better than One.

Gloria has blown my mind for about 4 years and it continues to do so...

One lost some kind of power, even if I still like it and judge it as one of the best 3 U2 songs. But maybe they have lost some kind of energy playing it, maybe it's Bono's speeches that ruins a bit the original atmosphere of the song as much as Where The Streets Have No Name. Man, how do I hate Bono's talking over that beautiful arpeggio................:mad:

I also think it's the best version of One actually. The best guitar, at least, and that's what makes the song in my opinion.

WalkOn21 said:
Oh, what a surprise. A topic about One being the perfect song. :|

What startles me sometimes is the inane comments about some one either hating someone elses favorite song or something. Music is an art and art is so subjective to the person individually. I have to say that U2 fans by and large are a pretty intellectual group but this bashing that goes on in some of these threads are just really stupid. It gets really boring after awhile. I understand that everyone has a right to their opinion and they can feel free to state them but to be rude to someone just doesn't make any sense.

By the way I really hate One................Nah just joking!!!

LOL

YBORCITYOBL said:

What startles me sometimes is the inane comments about some one either hating someone elses favorite song or something.
My comment wasn't about liking or disliking the song. It was a reaction to the fact that these threads are almost as common as the "what's the song played before U2 comes on stage" ones.

Re: Re: I have found the perfect song.

bathiu said:

yeah, it's OK,

but I think the PopMart Mexico 'One' is waay better...

...and the 'One' from 'Miss Sarajevo' single is just :drool:

One (Popmart Mexico) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>One (Elevation Slane)

The problem I believe is that I don't know , edge's guitar got kind of really low the sound of it , like during the verses , when he does the traditional rhythm sound of One , you can't hear it , at least on the PCM sound , neither the distortion in the chorus (really low) and also the part "I can't be holding on..."

BTW mate which option of sound did you hear , was it the DTS ?

Besides one from mexico :drool: :drool: :drool: It's the best ever live electric version of One.

Last edited:
One :up: :D
One Bashing :down: :(

I'll gladly post in a 'One' thread than have to sit through 10 Pop & Everything About That Era Threads on a weekly basis. :yawn:

Yeah kind of true , this thread was about the live slane perfomance of one , and people come here to bash it , shame on you people , accept it , it's u2s best song recorded in the 90s.

J_NP said:
Yeah kind of true , this thread was about the live slane perfomance of one , and people come here to bash it , shame on you people , accept it , it's u2s best song recorded in the 90s.
OK, we can't say One is a bad song, but you CAN say that One is U2's best 90's song? :eyebrow:

Honestly, a while ago I decided not to visit bash & appreciation threads anymore. It's pointless posting in a thread just to say "One is tha best song, omg!!11!1" or "Miami! :drool:", which are about the most useful comments in those kind of thread.

Then lemme the change , how about One is the most complete song of the 90s ? Most complete vocal , guitar...... :wink:

Why is that everyone on here has to hate all the songs that have done well and are quite well known..i mean its like just because everyone else has recognized how good the song is all the 'real' u2 fans have to hate it. I think one rocks, and yeah that live version is really cool!

Axver said:

I don't understand why Heartland is praised at all.

I'm so tired of this stupid, 'Oh it's popular so it must be a toss-off, accessable to the mass-market, voted-top-10-list-constantly, award-racking-up, lyrically banal, 'look at me I'm an indie U2 fan', Pitchfork media musical taste geshtapo attitude towards well known U2 songs.

Musical taste is like the ass, it's divided.(TM)

Last edited:
WalkOn21 said:

OK, we can't say One is a bad song, but you CAN say that One is U2's best 90's song? :eyebrow:

Honestly, a while ago I decided not to visit bash & appreciation threads anymore. It's pointless posting in a thread just to say "One is tha best song, omg!!11!1" or "Miami! :drool:", which are about the most useful comments in those kind of thread.

Yeah man biff boom bam boom baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

To me it sounds just like every other version of One I've heard over the past decade and a half. It's a tired song that's lost a lot of its, I don't know, mmmph over the years. I feel like they are going through the motions every time they play it, which is one reason I feel like the setlist should be shaken up and One taken out. They have loads of other songs that they still enjoy playing that they could easily substitute into its spot. I haven't heard an inspired performance of One in over 10 years. definitely at least since the days of Zoo TV.

inmyplace13 said:
To me it sounds just like every other version of One I've heard over the past decade and a half. It's a tired song that's lost a lot of its, I don't know, mmmph over the years. I feel like they are going through the motions every time they play it, which is one reason I feel like the setlist should be shaken up and One taken out. They have loads of other songs that they still enjoy playing that they could easily substitute into its spot. I haven't heard an inspired performance of One in over 10 years. definitely at least since the days of Zoo TV.

Didn't u ever hear a perf in popmart of it mate ? It's even better than in zoo.

I know what you mean with songs getting over played..i just think one is a classic and it does irritate me when all the 'old time' u2 fans have to start slating it, and other such popular u2 songs.

Both Modena versions and Millenium Hall with Daniel Lanois are my favourite live performances.

That said, no live version matches the studio magic.

Canadiens1160 said:
I don't understand why Heartland is praised at all.

I'm so tired of this stupid, 'Oh it's popular so it must be a toss-off, accessable to the mass-market, voted-top-10-list-constantly, award-racking-up, lyrically banal, 'look at me I'm an indie U2 fan', Pitchfork media musical taste geshtapo attitude towards well known U2 songs.

Musical taste is like the ass, it's divided.(TM)

you win dewd. :rockon:

I used to consider One my favourite U2 song ever. I don't know if I'd say that now, but I do think it's a beautiful song, and I think it packed a lot of power at Slane. The thing about the Vertigo versions was the long speech before it, and it made the song sort of less personal. But especially when they add the extra verse at the end it's really magical, I think.

i HATE that version.
actually no i love it..right up until mary j blige starts the whole 'oooh-oooh' shouty bit. then i turn it off!

Yeah, Slane or Zoo TV Sydney live versions are the ones I dig the most. Not too big on the Popmart version.

Back
Top Bottom