I have a question for those who are dissapointed in ATYCLB...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
most of the songs are boring to me now, nothing sexy, no grooves, nothing risque about the song lyrics, very safe, bland and uninteresting to me, lyrically speaking, nothing we havent heard before from him

some really good songs, i love BD, Walk On, Kite and NY even, IALW is good too, but I just can't get into character with these songs like I can with the 90s stuff, that's my perspective, that's where I'm coming from

Hmmmmmmm.......I don't think U2 took any "major" risks artistically or commercially with ATYCLB, although all decisions have their risks. The Album has heart in it........but the heart ain't bleeding and being torn apart like in AB and POP. It packs a punch but it don'k knock u out like they've done before. When I played it first I liked it and some songs more than others. But I haven't played it in ages and I don't really miss it. Now I played ZOOROPA the other night and got lost in it........was great - and POP just gets better every time I listen to it. Re-mix my arse - the original POP singles are fine (getting away from the point). I think when the boys recorded ATYCLB that somewhere along the way..........making a popular or commercially viable album took some precedence and it killed some of the inventive risk taking moves that used to be part of U2.
That said I reckon I'm gonna be blown away and have my head wrecked by their next release of new material next Summer - I just know it. They know they can make a "big" album when they want - now they're ready to make another masterpiece. Artistically ATYCLB = the calm before the storm - the Rattle 'n Hum before the Achtung Baby (I hope!!):hyper:

I think BOTH "Pop" AND "ATYCLB" are risky. Risk taking does not rely soley on sound. What about the context of ATYCLB?? What about the themes??

At a time when there was nothing but fluff on the radiowaves, U2 produces this heartfelt, soulful, meaningful, piece of art. It asked questions about death, and zen, and the thoughts that run through your head when you get older. Pop may have a grittier sound, but ATYCLB is beautiful. And it IS risky because it was a bucket full of beauty in a world of superficial ugliness.

"The last of the rock stars when hip-hop drove the big cars"

tackleberry said:
I think BOTH "Pop" AND "ATYCLB" are risky. Risk taking does not rely soley on sound. What about the context of ATYCLB?? What about the themes??
:yes: i think all their albums have been risks. why? because none of their albums sound the same! every album is a risk, because when it doesn't sound like the last one, you run the risk of losing fans. they took a chance with atyclb.

Back
Top Bottom