I have a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cydewaze

Refugee
I remember a while ago seeing the video for "where the streets have no name", performed on the roof of a liquor store.

Well, I just recently saw a much longer version of that video, where a city official tells them the video is being called off, and now I'm confused. Did the band really play the song on the liquor store, or was that video "munged" together from pieces of film footage?

They really played there, then the police came and busted it up and made them leave.

u2popmofo said:
They really played there, then the police came and busted it up and made them leave.

:yes: what he said

the cops said it was going to cause riots or something

Wow that was fast, heh :)

I'm really glad they played despite the police paranoia. That's what it's all about, music for the masses. Thanks for the replies.

You're welcome cydewaze. Anytime.

Welcome to Interference by the way!!!

you know if you can ever get into bloodredsky

theres a bootleg of that L.A rooftop show, the played streets a few times

but they also played people get ready & sunday bloody sunday
i think they might have played 1 or 2 more.....

Hey, that's great info. I'm a HUGE fan of live music, especially stuff like that, and especially if it's U2. I'm keeping my eyes open for anything I can get my paws on.

I have this bootleg video, its really crap quality, but fun to watch, Bono looked pretty pissed off they couldnt go on with the show. Would have been incredible to have been there!

I'm assuming they actually did play, but whatever people there heard, it couldn't have been what you hear on the video. At least, it doesn't seem possible. The song on the video is the same as the album, with no variations whatsoever that I can pick up. There's always differences (Bono's singing, Edge's guitar, etc.) between each performance of it.

Yeah, the "lips" don't match either. While I don't think they lip-synched, I do think it's likely that they overlaid the album version onto the video version, and left some of the background sounds in (crowd, sirens, etc.). But that was one of the reasons I wondered if they actually played there, because why wouldn't they have just used the live version in the shoot for the video, unless the acoustics were really bad.

Last edited:
I believe they either played live once and mimed the other 2-3 re-performances of Streets to ensure a strong take was in the can..or mimed all the takes before the police crept in. It's the only way they would ever fit the video shoot in to the dwindling time frame and ensure the atmosphere, performance, and crowd reaction was as strong as possible..either way the studio version was always going to be run over the top as with the majority of music videos

ACROB@T said:
either way the studio version was always going to be run over the top as with the majority of music videos

A pity, really. I'm a huge fan of live music. I'd have preferred hearing a real performance.

cydewaze said:
A pity, really. I'm a huge fan of live music. I'd have preferred hearing a real performance

I agree..I think Sunday Bloody Sunday came off much better for the live-single recording and I know a lot of people grew up with that video alone on MTV. I remember reading somewhere that because of various technical occurances the album version was always going to be overlayed..or maybe they had it ready anyway to cover themselves

Back
Top Bottom