I HAVE A LOVER, A LOVER LIKE NO OTHER: U2 LIVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
For all of us in here who have had the awesome privilege of seeing U2 in their element: The stage...I'm reminded of four childhood friends who have grown together on stage from Boy to All That You Can't Leave Behind, with their instruments that neither could hardly play when they were formed...and yet are respected by all musicians for their innovative and complex styles, with the greatest songs ever written...songs written from the soul, destined for the world's stage, with a soul singer, who every night wears his heart on his sleeve with all the emotion and passion to fill up a stadium, and yet feel as if you are the only one he is singing to, simply in their own words with three chords and the truth...U2 have always transformed themselves and their songs on stage, in front of 150 or 150,000...U2 concerts are the stuff of legends...shows that are communal, energetic, and emotional...memories that will last with me personally for a lifetime.

Here is what I would like to suggest... click here, http://www.u2tours.com/ , then find your favorite concert you have been to under Search All Tours (I know this will be impossible for some of you) but go ahead anyways...then post the information and share with all of us what was most memorable about this show for you, highlights that still give you goosebumps when you think about that night, a particular moment in asong that the guys did or said on stage, maybe even a string of songs that touched you deeply, or just the fact that you were there at one of those concerts that is the stuff of legend.

For me...it would have to be my very first...

Date: December 16, 1984
Where: Long Beach, California
Tour: Unforgettable Fire - 2nd leg
Venue: Long Beach Arena
Opening Act(s): The Waterboys
Main Set: 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, Seconds, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Wire, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Electric Co., A Sort Of Homecoming, Bad, October, New Year's Day, Pride
Encore(s): Party Girl, Gloria, 40

For me it would have to be the combination of A Sort of Homecoming and Bad being played together that night...Bono sang Bad as if he was the one who had the drug addiction, and reaching out to us fans as if we were either his next fix, or a savior to the darkness of his addiction...I remember being so moved by Bad that I was overcome with tears, and on a December evening outside, where it is cold outside, it got so hot in there, where the hearts and souls of boys and girls collided for me for the first time of this feeling of being a part of the U2community, of never wanting for this moment to end...when I experienced for the very first time the raw emotion and passion that is a part of every U2 show that I have attended since 1984 to now. I look forward to reading all of your responses.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 10-14-2001).]

Chris,

You posted about your first. I?ll post about my unique experience, not exactly a concert, just the recording for a showcase on TV but I know that, somehow, we shared the same feeling, you and me. The highlight in this showcase for me, apart from the single idea that I was finally seeing them really close, in my own land (the only Popmart concert I attended was in Argentina) was listening to Stuck in a Moment having tears in my eyes, and TGBHF in the very end, when we knew our dream was already over.

Date: November 23, 2000
Where: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Tour: ATYCLB Promo Tour
Venue: Globo Studios
Main Set: Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Elevation, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Comments: U2 performs a mini-concert in front of a small TV audience. Beautiful Day and Elevation are shown three days later on Brazilian TV.

What do I have to do to get some of you to reply...tell you I'm writing a book, and your response may be included?
wink.gif

Chris

Venue: Molson Centre
Opening Act(s): Garbage

Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, New Year's Day, Out of Control, Sunday Bloody Sunday, When Will I See You Again / Stuck In a Moment, Kite, Angel of Harlem (full band), Staring at the Sun (acoustic), Bad / 40, Where the Streets Have No Name, Mysterious Ways, Pride
Encore(s): Bullet the Blue Sky, What's Going On, New York, With or Without You, One, Peace on Earth / Walk On
Message Forum: Talk about this show with other U2 fans!
Comments: After a big shakeup in South Bend, tonight's setlist reverts back to the familiar 1st and 2nd leg order. Bono brings a pregnant fan up on stage tonight and kisses her belly when she lifts her shirt to show him. Lyrics in 'New York' are again changed througout the song, similarly to the Notre Dame show two nights ago.
---------------------------------------------
ok so i know this was just a few nights ago but it was the best concert i have ever seen, not just of the other 4 U2 shows. it could be simply because this was the closest i've ever been, right in the heart 2-3 rows back of the stage or it could be just that the show itself was incredible. i don't know.
special moment: bono begins his short bit speech to 'mr record company man' and as he is about to say 'we're about to go Out Of Control' at the end, myself and the girl beside me beginning to go nuts jumping up and down. we continue to do so for the whole thing, as did most of the heart, and at the end bono looked right into my eyes and gave me a little nod. for that brief moment i can only hope i adequately conveyed to him the gratitude that i feel towards him and the band. it was a moment in a show in a night i will never forget.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

March 21, 1992 / Albany, NY Tour: Zoo TV - 1st leg
Venue: Knickerbocker Arena
Opening Act(s): The Pixies
Main Set: Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, One, Until The End Of The World, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Trying to Throw Your Arms.., Angel Of Harlem, Satellite Of Love, Bad-All I Want s You-Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Where the Streets , Pride, I Still Haven't Found Encore(s): Desire, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), With or Without You, Love Is Blindness

This concert was incredible for me (except for the Pixies) because of the strength of the material and the band's performance. I was absolutely riveted by the way 'Mysterious Ways' was performed with the belly dancer(we all know who she is now)
wink.gif
and the extended ending. Also 'Ultraviolet' live was so powerful, I wish I could hear it again, but I think I'm going to have to settle for the boots on this one.

Cool topic, Chris!

My first had to have been my favorite of all time, and the show that blew my mind and made me become as obsessed as I am today:

November 15, 1987 / Oakland, CA
Tour: Joshua Tree - 3rd leg
Venue: Oakland-Alameda County Stadium Opening Act(s): The BoDeans, The Pretenders
Main Set: Where the Streets..., I Will Follow, Trip Through Your Wires, I still Haven't Found, Gloria, Out Of Control, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Exit, In God's Country, People Get Ready, Help, Bad, October, New Year's Day, Pride
Encore(s): Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, With or Without You, Stand By Me, 40

But, my most bizarre experience would have had to be:

September 18, 1997 / Rome, Italy
Tour: PopMart -
2nd leg
Venue: Aerporte Del-Urbe
Main Set: Mofo, I Will Follow, Gone, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Last Night On Earth, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, Pride, I Still Haven't Found, All I Want Is You, Staring At The Sun, Volare, Miami, Bullet the Blue Sky-America, Please, Where the Streets
Encore(s): Discotheque, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, With or Without You, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Mysterious Ways, One-Wake Up Dead Man
This was amazing, we got to Rome and they had shut down all traffic to anywhere near the stadium, it was crazy, we had to walk like 3 miles to get in, after a horrible experience with trains from southern Italy (7 hours) and then chaos in cabs getting to the outskirts, then the walk in, I was freaking out the whole time cuz I thought we would miss the first song! We arrived right in time! It was magical because there is just somethin' about seeing 90,000 Italians singing WOWY perfectly, it's like nothing else!~
The 13 nights I have seen U2 over the years are truely the most looked forward to, most exciting, and most memorable nights of my entire life!
27 more days til' LA!
biggrin.gif

Great topic!!
Mine would also be my first...

Venue: Civic Center
Opening Act(s): The Alarm

Main Set: Out Of Control, Twilight, An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, Surrender, Two Hearts Beat As One, Seconds, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Electric Co., I Fall Down, October, New Year's Day, Gloria
Encore(s): Party Girl, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, 40
-------------------

I had just finished my freshman year in college, and some friends of mine and I decided to "road trip" down to Atlanta (about 200 miles) from Knoxville. We were all just flat out broke, so we pooled the money we got from selling back our textbooks, and piled into the apartment of a "friend of a friend".

This was well before GA, and we had great seats on the floor. I had been listening to U2 for about a year or so and was really looking forward to seeing them, but was not yet a fanatic. Bono's Dad was there for this show - and they put on a great one.

I think I spent about $10 for the ticket, as I recall...
biggrin.gif
About the price of one used Organic Chemistry textbook... lol

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Holidaying through Europe,the UK and Ireland. Saw U2 here in London and at Slane #1.

This show was amazing, his father had passed away a few hours before...need I say more about the performance....

August 21, 2001 / London, England
Tour: Elevation - 2nd leg
Venue: Earl's Court
Opening Act(s): Nelly Furtado

Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, New Year's Day, Kite, Gone, New York, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Wake Up Dead Man, In A Little While, Stuck In a Moment, Stay, Bad / 40, Where the Streets Have No Name, Mysterious Ways, The Fly
Encore(s): Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You / Love Will Tear Us Apart, One / When Will I See You Again, Walk On

I have had a review there for a while and had forgotten it was there Chris!
Mine is long though hehe...
Dont say I didnt warn you!

Sydney, Australia
February 27, 1998
Football Stadium

Do PoPmartinas walk among us? Yes,fans, I believe they do. Atleast they did at the Sydney PoPmart gig. I stood outside the Merchandising Store like a kid in a lolly shop, feasting my greedy little U2 zoned eyes on the wonder of feasts before me. The girl dressed in full Popmartian gear, with stick on antenae, next to me, bought out the whole shop. I on the other hand left with a tour program and read through it as I could hear the cries of an Edge like guitar coming from inside the football staduim.

Walking into a U2 gig onto a field where giant lemons and skyscraper style olives grace the sky, is not an experience to leave you uncharged.
The build up of excitement became intense as POP MuZIK blasted through the speakers and the words POP beamed across the video screen. I don't think I've ever felt such excitement as I did at the moment. Little did I know that U2 weren't even on stage yet.

Screams heard between the rain. Bono and the boys working their way through the crazed crowd. A sight like I've never seen before. In that moment I knew the next 2 hours would never be repeated again.

MOFO beat into the stadium as Bono punched the air as though he had been boxing since he was 5 years old.The tunes filled the stadium, one after the other and with every beginning note, the crowd roared louder.
A video screen showering the popmart sky with frame after frame of kitsch and pop culture, finally giving fans at the back of the stadium something to look at.

The whole band were on fire as was Bono in fine form, and not just in the voice department. He entertained and joked with the crowd, laughing at our failed attempts at singing 'Stand by Me'. Political jibes as always at Fred Nile and Pauline Hanson, dedicating Staring at the Sun to them both, telling us not to let him Rain on our Parade- The gay and lesbian Mardi Gras parade the following day.

The most emotional moment of the super charged night was the Michael Hutchence tribute. Michael's face flung across the screen as Bono ordered the house lights out. For a moment we had darkness as Bono sang so emotionally to his friend, then with a bolt from the heavens the stadium lit up. One of the eeriest moments I think I've ever experienced. Either Michael was letting Bono he was still around, or it was God letting Bono know who's who.
smile.gif

Europhia is the only word I can use to describe the feeling of that night. The guy swinging his shirt like a lasoo atop the scaffolding perhaps knows what I'm talking about.
U2 on fire in the pouring rain.
I had the worst seats in the house, not even sure if The Edge was there as he was blocked by the mixing tent, but it was still one of the greatest nights of my life thus far.

I don't think many fans can say they have left a U2 gig with tears in their eyes. Never Tear us Apart a superb way to close the show.
Thankyou U2.

Originally posted by bono_man:
This show was amazing, his father had passed away a few hours before...need I say more about the performance....

August 21, 2001 / London, England

bono_man,
What a coincidence...Guess what I?m hearing right now while reading your reply? Kite, from that special night...what an emotional performance, I can only imagine how was the whole concert...a dear friend of mine were there and she told me the way she felt that night, I guess she is a friend of yours also, it?s Desert Rose.
That one is my fave performance of Kite ever.

October 30, 1992 / Los Angeles, CA
Tour: Zoo TV - 3rd leg - Outside Broadcast

Venue: Dodger Stadium

Opening Act(s): The Sugarcubes, Public Enemy
Main Set: Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, One-Rain, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, Dirty Old Town, Trying to Throw Your Arms..., Angel Of Harlem, When Love Comes To Town, Satellite of Love, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Bad-All I Want Is You, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Where the Streets , Pride, I Still Haven't Found-Stand By Me
Encore(s): Desire, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), With or Without You, Love Is Blindness, Can't Help Falling in Love

This was my very first time seeing U2 live and I will always be special because of that fact .
I remember "Bad" coming on and taking over the audience.
From my seat U2 looked little ants, I wasn't happy with our seats but looking back I think of the energy and love I felt coming from the audience , it makes me feel warm inside and forget about the crappy seats.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by NicaMom (edited 10-15-2001).]

Fort Lauderdale, March 24, 2001
Venue: National Car Rental Center
Opening Act(s): The Corrs

Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, New Year's Day, Stuck In A Moment, Gone, Discotheque-Staring at the Sun, New York, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday-Get Up Stand Up, Sweetest Thing, In A Little While, Ground Beneath Her Feet, Bad, Where the Streets Have No Name, Mysterious Ways, The Fly
Encore(s): Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You, One, Walk On
Comments: U2 kicks off the Elevation Tour 2001!

This is the only U2 show I've been able to go to even though I've been a fan since 1993. Still, this was probably the best night of my life. The passion U2 showed and when Bono grabbed an Irish flag from a fan, waved it in the air and said "Finally, for the first time with pride!" during Sunday Bloody Sunday was just incredible. I don't know if anything I will ever experience will ever top the energy and excitement of that night. God bless U2 for what they've given their fans and the world.

great topic Chris, you've got a knack for coming up with good ones. cheers!

------------------
Peace out and take care!
-Jason

P.S. "Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no-one is watching." - U2

June 03, 2001 / Hartford, CT
Tour: Elevation - 1st leg
Venue: Civic Center
Opening Act(s): PJ Harvey

Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, Mysterious Ways, In My Life/Stuck In a Moment, Kite, Gone, New York, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday/Get Up Stand Up, In A Little While, Desire, Stay, Bad/40, Where the Streets Have No Name, Pride
Encore(s): Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You, The Fly, One/She's a Mystery To Me, Walk On

This was my first show ever, and I'll never forget it. I absolutley loved it. I was at the tip of the heart and I felt like I was somewhere else. I've only gone to 2 U2 shows ever, Hartford and NJ. This one was ROCKING! I had never felt this way before...I'll never forget it. Even though I was a pretty new fan (I didn't even know the words to the Fly!) I loved it. I can't wait for this time though....I'm certain (or close to) that NY might top it. WOOOOO!

October 13, 2001 / Hamilton, Ontario
Tour: Elevation - 3rd leg
Venue: Copps Coliseum

Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, New Year's Day, Out of Control, Sunday Bloody Sunday, When Will I See You Again / Stuck In a Moment, Kite, Angel of Harlem, People Get Ready, Staring at the Sun, Bad / 40, Where the Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Pride
Encore(s): Bullet the Blue Sky, What's Going On, New York, With or Without You, One, Peace on Earth / Walk On

Comments: Bono gets a U.S. flag from a fan and hugs it tightly after 'Sunday Bloody Sunday.' He invites a male fan on-stage to play guitar to 'People Get Ready,' but the super-nervous fan struggles to pick up the chords. He eventually imitates Bono while making up some of the song lyrics and singing them. During 'One,' the names of passengers who died Sept. 11 on the hijacked airplanes are shown on the video screen.

------

What can I say more than WOW?? A brilliant show! U2's show was amazing before, but now in light of the events of september 11th it is made even more relevant and emotional. A version of Bullet that was completely amazing, no intro video, just BANG on and spoke volumes, What's Going On? was very meaningful as well. Not to mention Arun playing guitar and singing. From the Hamilton Spectator review of the show: "There aren't many occasions when a $130 concert ticket looks like a bargain. And U2 at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton, Canada on Oct. 13, 2001, was certainly one of them."
I paid 50, and it would have been worth it even just for Garbage!! They kicked a lot of ass! But U2 was astounding.

I assume this will be an unoriginal selection among people who were there, but:

August 25, 2001 / Dublin, Ireland
Venue: Slane Castle

Opening Act(s): Festival lineup includes Relish, JJ72, Kelis, Coldplay, and Red Hot Chili Peppers

Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, New Year's Day, Kite, A Sort of Homecoming, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Wake Up Dead Man, Stuck in a Moment, In A Little While, Dancing in the Moonlight, Desire, Staring at the Sun, Bad / Yellow / 40, Where the Streets Have No Name, Mysterious Ways, Pride
Encore(s): Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You, One / Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Walk On / Hallelujah

Boston 2 and Boston 4 were also excellent.

October 13th, 2001
Venue: Copps Coliseum

Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, New Year's Day, Out of Control, Sunday Bloody Sunday, When Will I See You Again / Stuck In a Moment, Kite, Angel of Harlem, People Get Ready, Staring at the Sun, Bad / 40, Where the Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Pride

Comments: Bono gets a U.S. flag from a fan and hugs it tightly after 'Sunday Bloody Sunday.' He invites a male fan on-stage to play guitar to 'People Get Ready,' but the super-nervous fan struggles to pick up the chords. He eventually imitates Bono while making up some of the song lyrics and singing them. During 'One,' the names of passengers who died Sept. 11 on the hijacked airplanes are shown on the video screen

------------------
"...and a thousand slimy things did crawl upon the slimy sea..."

[This message has been edited by Bloodied (edited 10-15-2001).]

March 30, 2001
Venue: Philips Arena
Opening Act(s): Nelly Furtado
Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, New Year's Day, Stuck In A Moment, Gone, Discotheque-Sexual Healing-Staring at the Sun, New York, Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Will Follow, Sweetest Thing, In A Little While, Ground Beneath Her Feet, Bad/40, Where the Streets Have No Name, Mysterious Ways, The Fly
Encore(s): Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You, One, Walk On

Comments: With the members of R.E.M. in attendance, Bono tips his cap to Athens' finest by singing pieces of 'Losing My Religion' and 'Everybody Hurts' during U2's 'One'.

Alright, I've only been to one show, so of course it was my favorite. Still, it had its moments.
1. The guitar solo at the end of UTEOTW. Bono and Edge were doing their matador/bull performance and all I could think was, I can't believe I'm really seeing this.

2. Beginning of Streets. I was going nuts. Bono was going nuts. Everyone was going nuts.

3. The end of One where Bono sings, Do you hear me coming... Life suddenly made sense. There was nothing more important to me than being in that moment, in the here and now. I cried and sang along with Bono.

What an amazing night...

Throughout the day as I've been reading the accounts of people's favorite U2 show, there were many words that I picked up on that each person used to try and convey the emotions felt at "their" show. And I must say that "their" is a very appropriate way to speak of a U2 show, and it goes with another word that I hear a lot when people speak about "their" experience at a U2 show, and that is the word "amazing". We all remember going to our first show, and in the back of our minds, there are the comments, the articles, the history, the books, the "grand madness" that we hear and read from other fans who had gone before us in experiencing this awesome spectacle called a U2 concert.

But then we stand there numb and yet fully alive as the four make their way to the stage, and you suddenly are hit with an almost unspeakable feeling that the objects of your strong devotion are suddenly in eyes' view, and your heart races, pulse becomes that unforgettable fire inside of you, and even the hairs on your arm give rise to this moment in time which is beyond anything you had heard or seen, amazing! And it is in this moment that you realize that this is your U2 baptism of fire, your addiction complete, and it becomes apparent that this is "your" show. At for as long as you live, the moment will linger in your subconscious, and surface when given the opportunity to "shed a light of love" of your show, and you try to connect mere words to how alive, how amazed, and how incredible you felt on "your" night.

You look around and you see 20,000 kindred spirits who you know understand exactly how you are feeling without even a word being spoken. But if you only had the opportunity to get alone with even one, you could talk as if you'd know each other forever, because the feelings, the emotions, the impact, the fire, the connection would be the same.

And when you finally left the club, the arena, the stadium, you wanted to shout at the top of your lungs how you felt, how alive the experience made you feel...and you realize instantly that you couldn't wait for your next U2 fix, and that as long as you had breath, that no one could ever take away "your" moment.

Chris

Originally posted by follower:
bono_man,
What a coincidence...Guess what I?m hearing right now while reading your reply? Kite, from that special night...what an emotional performance, I can only imagine how was the whole concert...a dear friend of mine were there and she told me the way she felt that night, I guess she is a friend of yours also, it?s Desert Rose.
That one is my fave performance of Kite ever.

Yeah Rosa and I (also Angel!) were side by side, often hand in hand at that show...we helped each other through it! We had to...it was just too much for the both of us!!

Jon

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimsom sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

All of the U2 shows I have seen have been beyond incredible, but what sticks most clearly in my mind is the first, because I was so blown away by what one band could do to really bring the crowd together. I was literally on the edge of my seat, straining to get closer to this charismatic singer. That show was in Philadelphia on the Unforgettable Fire tour in 1985:

Venue: The Spectrum
Opening Act(s): Lone Justice

Main Set: 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, Seconds, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Wire, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Electric Co., A Sort Of Homecoming, Bad, October, New Year's Day, Pride
Encore(s): Knocking On Heaven's Door, Gloria, 40

Memorable moments: *the roar of the crowd at the opening chords to Pride.
*3 audience members come onstage to play guitar until Bono finds someone who can play
*Bono gets a roadie to bring a knife so he can cut an Irish flag into three pieces, throwing them out into the audience
*A girl comes onstage and he hugs her and hugs her while the music plays.
*the crowd singing 40 long after the band had gone, and stopping all together when the house lights go on.

Chris....I don't think I have to even go to the "archives" to recall my favorites. First show you see is always memorable. For me, that would have been 5/2/87 at the Worcester Centrum in Mass. I can still see the red glow of the stage light up as the guys are taking it over....Bono, dressed in his vest with cowbody-looking hat..and longer hair too. Edge, with his "holy" dungerees and the "Ace" in his hat.......playing all the best songs I love......Gloria, Bad, NYD, SBS. I remember With Or Without You DIDN'T sound all that great. But, it was just the beginnng of the tour with that record. I rememeber listening to him talk. I was sitting right behind the stage. Believe it or not, I think those seats were some of the best in the house. When U2 plays on that stage, much like on this tour...there really isn't any "Front and Back".....it's all open. The guys know you are there, and they acknowlege everyone.....Oh, you know how this topic can get me rambling........I could keep typing well into the night! But I have a very special show to get pysch'd about.....it's two weeks from tonight......and I'm alreay dancing. So, enough about the past for now...I'm too much "in the moment" of this tour YET AGAIN! I LOVE IT.

This is a special topic ......
well,I suppose my favorite or most special was the first U2 show I saw...
October 23,1987.....I was 14, and what sticks out in my mind is that famous beginning of Streets...
I think that's why I never tire of that song live....it takes me right back to being just a kid really, sitting in the nosebleeds at Rupp Arena,me, my best friend at the time,and her mom (lol)......
I don't even know where that friend is now....but I just got that same high from the band a week ago!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by browneyedgirl (edited 10-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by browneyedgirl (edited 10-16-2001).]

Ahhh...it will be nearly 14 (UGH! 14!!!) years to the day, that I first (and last!) saw the boys...it was cold, I was young(er), my friend and I both wanted to have Bono's baby (and wrote that in shoe polish on our cars!). I missed the concert the night before (which happened to feature the BoDeans--I went to high school with them)...I do remember hearing "When Love Comes to Town" only because I'd never heard it before! What a momentous concert I happened to choose:

November 24, 1987 / Fort Worth, TX
Tour: Joshua Tree - 3rd leg
Venue: Tarrant County Convention Center
Opening Act(s): B.B. King

Main Set: Streets..., I Will Follow, Trip Through Your Wires, Out Of Control, I Still Haven't Found, One Tree Hill, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Exit, Pride, People Get Ready, Bad, October, New Year's Day, Gloria
Encore(s): Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, With or Without You, When Love Comes To Town*, 40 <--*very memorable!*
Comments: * With B.B. King - Soundcheck and parts of the show included in 'Rattle And Hum'
biggrin.gif

Can't wait to get elevated!!!
biggrin.gif

Disco

Hello,

I have 2 favourites. One is the obvious '1st show'. That was:
May 09, 1993 / Rotterdam, Netherlands
Tour: Zoo TV - Zooropa
Venue: Feyenoord Stadium
Opening Act(s): Utah Saints, Claw Boys Claw

Main Set: Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, One-Unchained Melody, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, Dirty Old Town, Trying to Throw Your Arms..., Angel Of Harlem, When Love Comes to Town, Satellite of Love, Bad-All I Want Is You, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Where the Streets , Pride
Encore(s): Desire, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), With or Without You, Love Is Blindness, Can't Help Falling in Love

Many of my memories have faded, unfortunately. There are however things that'll stick out forever.
- It had been raining all day, but when U2 started it was dry (it started to rain again during the encore, but that didn't matter).
(As a complete BTW, this is also what I'll always remember from a Crowded House festival gig. It was raining, but when they played There Goes God the rain stopped. Later, when they played Weather With You, the sun even started to shine)
- I was right in front of the B-stage. Anyone who has seen the Live from Sydney video (who hasn't): I was just 2 meters from where Bono entered the crowd (No! Not in that video, in Rotterdam!)
- I'm still speechless!

My other favourite was an Elevation show:
July 13, 2001 / Cologne, Germany
Venue: Arena
Opening Act(s): Die Soehne Mannheims

Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, Mysterious Ways, Kite, Gone, New York, Out of Control, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Stuck In a Moment, Sweetest Thing, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, All I Want Is You, Where the Streets Have No Name, Pride
Encore(s): Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You, The Fly, One, Wake Up Dead Man, Walk On / Hallelujah

The night before had been my first Elevation concert (where they played the infamous Hawkmoon 269/Desire/Running To Stand Still medley). This day, my sister went with me for her very first U2 concert. We ended up in the heart. Even better, whe ended up right in front of Adam on the very first row. Need I say more? If you want, I've posted a review of this show on U2tours.com (thanks Elvis for removing that *-nonsense!). Here's the exact link: http://www.u2tours.com/displayfan.src?ID=20010713&XID=2727&Return=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eu2tours%2Ecom%2Fdetail%2Esrc%3FID%3D20010713

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Hello Marty...I was wondering when someone was going to post about a show on the Zooropa tour. I've been reading the Grand Madness: Ten Years on the Road with U2...and the author mentions the Rotterdam shows, and of course several other shows that she attended...and the Zooropa tour just sounds really over the top...with the Sarajevo feeds and other MacPhisto highlights conjured up for the European fans...thanks

Chris

Hello,

At the start of the Zooropa Tour there were no Sarajevo link-ups yet. And I've forgotten so much already that it is all one big blur. I mean, in my mind, Bono made his MacPhisto speech before anything else in the encore (yet, I see that Desire was played). I don't remember Larry singing a song. I even don't know how I felt when Streets was played (nowadays, the lights 'trick' gives me chills every time I even hear a live version of that song). But still, Zooropa was amazing (I HAVE A VISION! EUROVISION!)

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Back
Top Bottom