I guess being a younger fan has a few advantages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedpoet

Refugee
I meant to write this last night, instead i got suckered into grading U2 albums (i suckered myself).
Often times I feel nostalgic for earlier days of U2 - days when either I wasn't even born, too young to care, or too oblivious to know. Just watching the Zoo TV and Popmart videos creates this feeling.
Last night, however, something dawned on me. First, I am extremely lucky to be a big fan of the best band ever - even if I am a late comer (I've been a fan since 1999 and I'm 21 years old, for the record). Secondly, and more pointedly, people who grew up listening to this band as the band grew up do not have the wonderful point of view I have. Whereas some see Bono as a peer, or a contemporary, or something along those lines, I see Bono as something of a role model, or better yet, a mentor. No, I've yet to meet him (not a result of a lack of trying), but his influence on my life is far deeper than that of a role model. Bono and U2 have done in several different ways: 1) my political views have been greatly challenged again and again, 2) my spirit has been nurished, 3) my heart, eyes, mind, soul has been inspiried.
Bono, and the band to be sure, have constantly challenged my political views. I grew up in a conservative home. When I started reading about what Bullet the Blue Sky was written about I was thrown into a state of disillusion. And, then I read that Bono and Clinton were friends. What the hell? Christians can't be democrats or liberals! There was such tension that I had to look things up myself and stop blindly believing everything my parents or other leaders said. So, I slowly started becoming more and more liberal. Eventually, I became a full blown out Bush/conservative basher. Once again, Bono started saying things that irritated me. What? How can Bono say Bush has done more for Africans than any previous president? Does Bono not understand that Bush is the anti-christ (*wink*)? And, now Bono is dedicating songs to soldiers! What the freggin' hell? This all created such discomfort in me, that I once again had to step outside and look at things from a broader perspective.

They've nurished my soul, and my intellect. When I experience Streets live I just feel like I've been wrapped up inside warm arms of love. I come away from live experiences refreshed. At shows I jump, cry, sing my lungs out (it probably sounds more like screams)...it's catharsis. Bono has written so many wonderful lyrics that enable me to look deeper into scriptures and my own life. His faith inspires mine.

And, lastly that is what they've (specifically Bono) done which makes them (him) mentors - Bono inspires me. He continually appeals to the best in humanity. And, even when he is down he continues pressing on. I think I'm most inspired by these rare climpses. The HTDAAB features such a climpse. Bono writes about how Ali encourages him to remain positive even when he is angry and hurt by lack of progress. Nevertheless, he's still there - pushing, pressing, calling, pestering, celebrating.

This could all sound like I've got this above-human sort of thought about Bono and the boys. I love them BECAUSE OF THEIR HUMANITY. My heart strangely grows fonder of them everytime they take a mis-step or start to fall. For instance, the fragility of Bono's voice; the fragility in Bono's emotions as expressed in the Slane Castle DVD; the quick temper Bono displayed at the water bottle fan in Oakland....Bono is human, somtimes he's even an asshole, yet he's been able to accomplish great things. This band has written some less than perfect songs, and yet they've also written some of the most beautiful tunes ever.

I don't know if any of this makes any sense. Their music, their lives, their story, it all breaks my heart and yet heals my soul.

So, if Bono was my age, or just slightly older, I don't think I could have this impression. I would be left without my mentors and my pastors.

oooh i understand what you mean perfect. I myself am a younger fan at 16 years old, got into them around 2001.

I too, see Bono as a role model for many things, first of all his political views. IT IS AWESOME that Bono is not a partisan hack of the left, or a religious nut of the right, but he instead brings this compromise to the table. He made me realize bashing Bush all I want won't get him to send AID to Africa. Working together with conservatives and liberals and appealing to all sides is an extraordinary skill and talent, and I find that rare among politicians today.

Agreed. Being a younger fan, you feel like you've missed out on a lot, or never had the chance to support the band when they were just starting out.

I'd give anything to be around in the Joshua Tree era.

Thanks for your views, I feel mostly the same way.

Chizip said:
another advantage of being a younger fan is you arent old

lol - ooh, did that display what generation i come from or what?
ps. i usually never write "lol" but for the sake of the chance at being clever...well, nevermind

blueyedpoet said:
I meant to write this last night, instead i got suckered into grading U2 albums (i suckered myself).
Often times I feel nostalgic for earlier days of U2 - days when either I wasn't even born, too young to care, or too oblivious to know. Just watching the Zoo TV and Popmart videos creates this feeling.
So, if Bono was my age, or just slightly older, I don't think I could have this impression. I would be left without my mentors and my pastors.

Wonderful post....the whole thing. Good on you, you really put it well. Im 24 and like you, a late comer...started with Pop....and seeing the way you've written it, I really feel the exact same way, they've helped shape my existence in every way...

...it sounds so corny, but its totally true...

...all you can hope is that many more feel the same way...

great post.

:wink:

Another advantage you overlooked --

The ability to actually read the tiny reversed print on the U2.com website.

:wink:

Seriously, that was a lovely post.

I loved the post, I'm 16 myself, but I got into them through their older music....War was my first album. I was already political, so I think that's why I picked their older music first before going to the newer 90s and 00s music.

Im also 16, and agree with a lot of your points. i was christian before gettin into U2 (Circa 2002 after hearing walk on a lot at the football) but Bono has definetly changed my life for the better. That sounds a bit sad i no, a man i've never met changing my life, changing how i view things, but he does. A lot of people my age resent Bono, because of how he uses fame, in a fantastic way. So many rockstars you see using fame to get to the front of the queue in sainsburys, bono goes and uses it to get poverty to the front of bushs' queue. I want to write a lot more but don't know how to put it at hte time so i think i will later.

Chizip said:

That was really meaningful. I'm totally touched by that statement.

And I do agree :wink:

Great post, blueeyedpoet. I'd say I agree for the most part. I do feel like I've missed out (if only I could have seen ZooTV!), but at the same time I've been into U2 since Pop, which is practically half my life (I'm 17). They've really helped shape my life and become a part of me and Bono is definitely a role model...and a really hot one :drool: :wink:

Chizip said:

Nothing wrong with being old(er). Seeing The Ramones, The Jam, The Clash, Talking Heads, The Boomtown Rats etc. during the 70's was amazing.

Oh yea, seeing Floyd on the Animlas tour was pretty cool too.

I'm old (35). I been a fan since 1984. I don't think it makes a difference. A fan is a fan regardless of age.

That was an excellent post, I feel the same way in some aspects. I'm 16 too and I live in a very conservative home but Bono's lyrics and what he does have shown me that I don't necessarily have to follow what my family believes.
I also love the humanity to them, they screw up, say the wrong things but it just adds to their appeal in my opinion.
I'd have to say though I am a little disappointed that I wasn't old enough to go to the ZooTV concerts :drool:

U2STEVE70 said:
I'm old (35). I been a fan since 1984. I don't think it makes a difference. A fan is a fan regardless of age.
I was in no way saying that older fans are less fans. Remember, sometimes I'm jealous of you. I'm just thankful, though, that I a) get to enjoy the greatest band, b) have older role models.
Thanks for the positive response everyone.

On the other side of this, us older fans have had the opportunity of growing up with U2 music our entire lives. Through every momentous event in our life, U2 has been with us. The events in the world that have shaped U2's music and perspective have also shaped us. I feel fortunate to have connected with a band that continues to be relevant as I age. If U2 continues to be around for another 20 years, than you too can have that great experience.

Bono is a few years older than me but at least I'm not listening to my dad.:wink:

But I'm glad new fans continue to connect with music. The young fans are just as important as the older fans except we have more money.:wink:

yeah...did you notice how much bono looked like his dad on the DVD during Sometimes....wow. actually, Bono is old enough to be my dad, but my dad is older so that makes everything okay! i wonder how i would feel if he were old enough to be my grandpa...that might be weird

Then you would be a Rolling Stones fan (if the singer is old enough to be your dad). I haven't seen the DVD yet, it's in the mail. But you are correct, Bono looks very similar to his father at times.

AtomicBono said:

They've really helped shape my life and become a part of me and Bono is definitely a role model...and a really hot one :drool: :wink:

That always helps with role models doesn't it?:wink:

trevster2k said:

:hyper:

A U2 fan's U2 fan, no one's better or worse because of age. And don't forget there are older people who have only recently come to like the band, doesn't make them less of a fan. There's definetly advantages and disadvantages to being a younger or older fan. I have to say I am very jealous of the people who have followed U2 from the beginning, and it is a little weird to have such a huge crush on someone my dad's age :wink: but I just feel fortunate that I've loved U2 as long as I have, you know? The fact that I'm a fan right now is enough. Think of all the unfortunate souls who as teenagers will become U2 fans 50 years from now. The music will always be there, but they won't have the oppurtunity to see U2 live and at the top of the world as we have! Unless of course U2 become robots and live forever :drool:

I am actually jealous reading that. I am only 15 but it seems as if U2 are a major influence on your life. It makes me feel as if I missing something, like I'm just a casual fan, not the fan I thought I was.

One question - do I need to as touched by U2 as blueeyedpoet is to be considered a fanatic, per se? Am I just a casual fan if I'm only a fan of the music (at this stage) and nothing deeper like their spiritualness or humanity? (Not that I don't appreciate that, but if someone asked me why I liked U2, I'd say because they make great music).

blueyedpoet i totally agree with your post! I constantly feel that U2 has changed my view points on a lot of topics and really inspires me to be a better person and stand for things that i believe are right! I am a younger fan,16, but I just believe that U2 has this amazing ability to tug at the heart of anyone who listens to the music. I do wish I would have been able to be at Zoo TV! :drool: I do feel that Bono is a role model for me and I am so greatful for that. Their music is amazing and I am happy that I am a fanatic even though I haven't been there since the beginning!

Back
Top Bottom