I got an email from Bono tonight...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just received an email of One.org, but not Bono letter :sad:

Well, since no one else has mentioned this yet, I guess I will...

The subject line reads: "Thanks for making an historic promise to the poor - and more"

Shouldn't it be "a" and not "an"... not that I mind terribly, I mean an e-mail from Bono with a minor grammatical error is better than no e-mail at all! :D

Achtung_Bebe said:

Shouldn't it be "a" and not "an"... not that I mind terribly, I mean an e-mail from Bono with a minor grammatical error is better than no e-mail at all! :D

I think that should be the least of your issues.

Bono hardly ever includes the apostrophe when he writes "it's." :wink:

Achtung_Bebe said:

The subject line reads: "Thanks for making an historic promise to the poor - and more"

Doesn't it differ depending on the pronunciation of "historic"? I know there are at least a few dialects that pronounce it "'istoric." Although imagining Bono with that dialect... :lmao:

amerrydeath said:

Doesn't it differ depending on the pronunciation of "historic"? I know there are at least a few dialects that pronounce it "'istoric." Although imagining Bono with that dialect... :lmao:

I'm having horrible visions of Bono impersonating a southern Newfoundlander. :yikes: They drop their H's all the time.

"I 'opes you 'as a good time, b'y!"

GibsonGirl said:

I'm having horrible visions of Bono impersonating a southern Newfoundlander. :yikes: They drop their H's all the time.

"I 'opes you 'as a good time, b'y!"

I was imagining him having a godawful old Boston accent-- "It was 'uuuuuuuge!" and then a Cockney accent-- both were painful. :wink: But the Boston was so much easier to imagine... it's so sad that he hardly sounds Irish anymore. Larry, on the other hand... :drool:

amerrydeath said:

Yeah, it's a regional variation, though I've noticed a lot of Australians say an historic/hospital/h-whatever even though they don't drop the 'h'. It's one of the first things I noticed when I came here from New Zealand.

Achtung_Bebe said:

I think it depends on how you say it. Maybe there's a rule for "h" but I don't know what it is. Would you say "this is an honor" or "this is a honor"? :shrug:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I think it depends on how you say it. Maybe there's a rule for "h" but I don't know what it is. Would you say "this is an honor" or "this is a honor"? :shrug:

I think you would use "an," because no one pronounces the H.

Also, I think you would spell it honour. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

I think you would use "an," because no one pronounces the H.

Also, I think you would spell it honour. :wink:

Bono would spell it "honour"; I spell it "honor" or I'd be marked down if I spelled it "honour". :shrug:

amerrydeath said:

Doesn't it differ depending on the pronunciation of "historic"? I know there are at least a few dialects that pronounce it "'istoric."

ohhh, I hadn't even considered the use in different dialects ... I failed to think outside the box :reject:

I pronounce the "h" in "history" but maybe Bono doesn't--you learn something new every day!

sings "I say 'historic' you say 'istoric' I say 'hire' you say 'ire,' 'historic,' 'istoric,' 'hire,' 'ire'... let's call the whole thing off!" :whistle:

YES!! To answer longing, it is CARZY AS HELL to receive a Bono e-mail!!! I myself was going to start a thread about this but alas you beat me to it:wink: Yeah this letter will sit in my inbox a llooonnggg time, like forever. It was wild seeing my friends' names and then Bono's!! Talk about doing a double take lol. I actually did reply to him and told him the usual -that I think he's wonderful yada yada. What an awesome Christmas present huh? He knows what he's doing: send 'em all an email and they'll come back, thirsty for more! I can't think of a better motivation for calling my senator!

Back
Top Bottom