I get a little annoyed by U2 fans sometimes. - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2004, 11:31 AM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:19 AM
Bono is God. We are all but vessels for his message.

Old 12-20-2004, 12:14 PM   #77
Acrobat

I have actually hung out with the guy for a good amount of time and the thing is he is very respectful of his fans, humble and sincere. He can be an ass because he wears his heart on his sleeve and says things off the top of his head. Which is why it's a good thing that he has great sense of humour about himself. He will be the first to tell you that he can be a complete ass. Which doesn't mean he isn't temperamental or doesn't want to look good (see he is like us!). He is a very talented and driven man.
I've always loved his self-deprecation. He's also funny when a sycophant approaches him. He'll usually make a joke that will go right over their head. But if you are a regular person that's freaked out when you meet him, he tries to calm that person down and just acknowledge them. He is extremely compassionate, as evidenced by his charity work. Luckily, he doesn't care if you think it's fake, he'll just keep doing it.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:16 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissMoo
Luckily, he doesn't care if you think it's fake, he'll just keep doing it.
. And God love him for that .

The rest of your post was pretty nice, too .

Angela
Old 12-20-2004, 11:32 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I have met the B-man on several occasions, too, and what she says about Bono IS the truth.

One on one, Bono is the sweetest, most unassuming, most friendly, kindest and funniest person you could ever meet!

He is a Joy to be around and that is why so many people want to know him.

BONO IS SIMPLY A BLESSING TO THE WORLD.

BONO - I WILL FOLLOW....
Old 12-20-2004, 11:33 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

MissMoo -
Old 12-21-2004, 10:13 AM   #81
Acrobat

Thanks, Jamila!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:20 PM   #82
The Fly

I find it difficult to see the problem people have with these fanatics. as long as there's no stalking, or other REALLY dangerous things going on, I dont see why not.
I mean, there are Tolkienites, Jedi's and for every other celebrity/huge fan base there are people who will be more than just fans. It comes with the territory.
Bono is a wonderful muscisian and lyricist, he has influenced people from their CD players and radios. He inspires! that is what he does,
He inspires; like every performer, writer, and artist that came before and will come after him. And if there's someone out there to help someone not to commit suicide or hurt themselves or others, well it can only be a good thing!

Bono deserves praise, but he is still only human, and in some ways him being human and accepting his humanity is the most praise-worthy thing about him.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:33 PM   #83
War Child

I don't worship the guy but I am definitely thankful for him. And the only quotes I seek out are ones that give more insight into the meaning of a U2 song, or when he drops news like how concerts are going to be on iTunes. I'm sure he can be pompous too but he also seems like a decent guy. I know I'd love the chance to meet him even for just a moment.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:09 PM   #84
Acrobat

Wow. I just read each and every post here. I do have "Him" on sort of a pedestal but for a reason not mentioned thus far.

I have loved U2 (esp. Bono) since I was 17. My bedroom and later my dorm room was floor to ceiling U2/Bono posters! My roommate would drool over her Jim Morrisson posters, and I my Bono. I had an "open top beetle" and cruised around with the top down blaring my old U2 songs. Now, I cruise to u2 as well, but this time in a minivan with two kids in tow. My 9 yr. old even knows 1/2 of the words on the new album. Don't get me wrong, she also knows a lot off of Boy & War.

My reason for Bono worship is simply ESCAPISM. When I listen and sing, I feel like a carefree teenager not trapped in surburbia, mortgages, chicken pox, daily routines. I can be that free spirit. I have written at length on zoo confessionals: My most personal, deepest U2 thoughts. The difference between my initial post and my new found freedoms now is a spontaneous trip to Brooklyn 4 weeks ago last night---ending up on front row center. I am drawn back in full force and I love every minute of my little fantasy world of a teenage version of me that was a half of a lifetime ago for me!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:19 PM   #85
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
LMAO

That is the greatest post ever.
haha, i just saw this. thanks!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:56 PM   #86
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:19 PM
You know, I watched that Brooklyn thing on MTV, and found myself almost sickened by the way some of the fans were carrying on while the truck was driving down the street. As much as I love U2's music, I've never found myself crying and freaking out over them, and seeing people that out of control makes me uneasy.

Back in 1987, at the height of the Joshua Tree craze (and right when I became a big U2 fan) I saw Bono walking by himself through Union Station in DC, looking for his train platform, or something. I was there with my family, picking up a cousin from Tennessee. I didn't bother him. Some of it was general shyness on my part. I was a shy kid. But I also didn't want to go pester the guy when he clearly had other shit to do.

Strangely, a friend of mine ran into Bono in a bar in DC during the POPmart Tour, right across the street from where I'd seen him ten years earlier, and shared a friendly greeting as they both ordered drinks. They both knew that my friend knew who he was (Bono was wearing the black hoodie and sunglasses and stuck out like a sore thumb) but my friend didn't make a big deal out of it and left him alone. Bono probably found that refreshing.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:02 PM   #87
Refugee

For those of you who have met Bono and think that he is such a wonderful and respectful person:

WHO CARES??? So what if he is nice? Where do you live, prison? There are many nice people in your life. Haven't you ever met a nice person before?

My point is that I believe you that Bono is a very nice person to meet. But you don't know him at all.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:47 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by boosterjuice
But you don't know him at all.
Neither do you. What's the point here again...
Old 12-21-2004, 09:59 PM   #89
War Child

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Why does anyone have to judge how people like U2? I just think as long as it's not crossing a line of stalking or being overly obessed enough to stalk then why does it matter? To each their own. Live and let live. How in the heck is it hurting anyone?

ree5669, I liked your post and I think there a few older fans that probably feel the way you do.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:11 PM   #90
The Fly

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Windmilllane
I have worshipped U2 for 19 years.

I love Bono as a performer. But as a person, I think he is prick. I think he is arrogant and conceited as hell. And I think all that humanitarian bullshit is fake. Please... give me a break. He is just doing this for his own publicity. His ego is so big that he needs to be on TV, radio and in magazines every single day.

But as a performer, he is awesome. I love when he is on stage and performs. He blows my mind, the way he shows his emotions when he performs. Under a Blood Red Sky is the quintessential Bono. Rattle and Hum, too.

Basically, my relationship with Bono is weird. I totally love him as a performer, but I could give a shit about him as a person.

Bono is a rock star. That's all he is. And he is playing the part of a rock star. That's it.
Wow...how conflicted!

I agree Bono is an extraordinary human being. I'd love to meet him and I love to visit PLEBA..I totally relate to the girls and their love for him. As for the guy who doesn't believe in Christ? Is he still here? Or has he been struck by lightening? Just kidding...

I don't think we should put Bono above Christ, either...although, sometimes I think I do...

Enough rambling!