I get a little annoyed by U2 fans sometimes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pepokiss said:
eh...

dude... don't go around PLEBA...

for your safety...

:|

OI!

That's not fair. PLEBA is a bit of fun. I enjoy looking at Bono's arse just as much as the next Bonolover, but I don't idolise him. He's a good soul, kindhearted, and talented, but he's as human as the rest of us. I can't believe that ANYONE here is dumb enough to believe any different. :madspit:

U2Kitten said:
There are all different kinds of U2 fans.

Quite so.

yimou said:
I dont worship U2 as gods. I am just a guy, who likes a band.
But i understand what shart1780 means i think. And i have seen my share of totally pathetic behavior around Bono..

I understand that much, I read a quote from someone saying that when Bono walks into a room it's like the parting of the sea - the scariest thing is, they weren't kidding. I imagine if I met Bono - sorry, I mean Bono - I'd be vaguely starstruck, but I certainly wouldn't burst into floods of tears and make a complete prat of myself in the process.

Last edited:
boosterjuice said:

I think Shart is speaking towards a select few. At least that is how I interpreted it. There are always a few bad apples that sing the Bono praises too loud. I can only speak for myself, but I don't that Shart is painting everyone with the same brush. Just a select few.

Whoa - "bad apples"? Could such people not just be misguided, perhaps? Or maybe they're happy viewing life through rose-tinted specs? If someone adores Bono blindly, that's their business and their prerogative - as long as they're not obsessive stalking types, what difference does it make? Who the hell are you, or I, or anyone, to tell others what perspective they should take?

Lisa71 said:
:applaud: I agree Reggie. I also saw U2 quite a long time ago for the first time and had the same feeling you describe. He does have a special charisma and I think some people are effected by it more strongly than others. (Some people are effected by John Lennon or Bob Dylan.)That doesn't mean he's a god and doesn't have his faults. I'm sure he has numerous ones but as a HUMAN BEING he is remarkable for what he does for other people. There are some people that give up their time and money for good purposes and many, many more in his position that don't. He deserves the praises he gets because of that alone, in my opinion, but coupled with his charisma and need to relate to others makes him a special human being.

Spot on... well said.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:

I think some take PLEBA way too seriously. It's almost like a feminine version of the BSing guys do in the locker room or whatever. Harmless if you see it for what it is.

Exactly what I was about to say, stars!

Moonlit_Angel said:

And as for PLEBA...yeah, the girls can be crazy there, but it's in a good way and they really aren't that bad to be around...we do have some fun discussions in there and the girls are nice and everything, so...I personally can overlook the "scary" nature.

Oh come on, have a heart. I know for a fact that many, many of us post pics in PLEBA just for the fun of it - it's called having a laugh and generally being silly. Anyone who views it as something serious has got major problems, in my opinion!:ohmy:

shart1780 said:
Bono is definitely an extremely gifted person, and that's to be admired. He does what he does better than anyone I can think of. But that's his thing. We all have our talents, Bono was just lucky enough to get a musical and poetic talent.

The reason his songs are so touching isn't because he's perfect, it's because he's like you and me! I admit that when I first got into U2 I sort of put him on a pedestal. I thought "wooow man he's so cool" blah blah blah. But as I've really listened to his songs over the years I've gained a respect for him, not as a rock god, but as a human being. The reason his music is so touching is because he's like you and me. He shares alot of the same flaws. He has alot of the same fears and hopes and feelings about life and love and God and everything and that makes him extremely easy to relate to. It's not that he's so great at being a human, it's that he's so great at communicating. We strive to find sonething to connect with in life. Since we can't write or sing like Bono we relate to his music. The reason U2 is so great is because they're so down to earth.

That's why I don't put them on a pedestal anymore. Sure I'd be nervous if I met him. Not because he's such an amazing human being, but simply because his music has had such an impact on my life. I've loved the music so long. If I met him I wouldn't sob or faint, I'd wanna talk to him because, from his music, I've learned he's just a darn awesome guy. A guy I'd really like to sit down and talk to. I know that the reason his music is so great is because he doesn't treat himself like a rock god, but like a human with human feelings. Feelings all of us share. I think that's the secret (well not so secret anymore heh heh ) ingredient to U2's success. They write songs that make you think "holy smokes this song was written for me! Bono feels the same way? That's awesome!". That's how I've felt many times listening to his songs. That's why I respect him as a human being, and I think that's how he wants to be treated.

And yes, I honestly am annoyed by the extreme fanatics. I'd consider myself an uber fan. I have a collection of every U2 song ever recored plus hundreds of concert MP3s. I'm a huge fan. I'm a huge fan of the music. But people need to realize what I just stated above. He's a regular guy. He has just as many flaws as you and me and putting him on some holy cloud isn't healthy. Even the band members will say this. Heck, they find these people annoying too (especially Larry).

We all are respectable people. We all go through things in life that extremely difficult and extremely respectable. Just because we don't have the gifts society treasures, a pretty face and a pretty voice, doesn't mean we're not great people. We just don't have the outlets like Bono has. Do you think Bono's stronger, better, has gone through more hardships than we will? No. He's going through life too. His songs show this.

Remember the line from Love Comes Tumbling! "I'm yourself in someone else. Don't find yourself in me".

Don't find yourself in Bono. He's just a really awesome guy.

With all due respect shart, this reminds me of former smokers who become avid anti-smokers once they've given up. I hope that doesn't sound rude, because that's NOT my intention here - I'm not trying to attack you personally at all. You've definitely got a point: some people do take their Bono obsession too far... but most of us are just having a laugh and it's nothing dangerous or harmful. Pointless fun.

Windmilllane said:
I have worshipped U2 for 19 years.

I love Bono as a performer. But as a person, I think he is prick. I think he is arrogant and conceited as hell. And I think all that humanitarian bullshit is fake.

Er... what?

The picture below hasn't been published much - it's not a publicity shot. None of the Bonolovers I've met (and that's a fair few, to put it mildly:)) had seen it before I fished it out:
03219123613_200bono.jpg

He's watching a video about AIDS. Just look at the man. How anyone with a heart can say that he is a fake, after seeing this, is completely beyond me.:(

sallycinnamon78 said:

Er... what?

The picture below hasn't been published much - it's not a publicity shot. None of the Bonolovers I've met (and that's a fair few, to put it mildly:)) had seen it before I fished it out:
03219123613_200bono.jpg

He's watching a video about AIDS. Just look at the man. How anyone with a heart can say that he is a fake, after seeing this, is completely beyond me.:(

Sally, thank you...you beat me to it. I was going to post the same pic. Wonderful words.

I can't believe that anyone would think someone voluntarily going to Africa to dig wells, witness other human beings having to make choices no human should have to make and visiting people who are literally dying in front of him is fake and "bullshit". The thought makes me feel sick.

I think U2 are an amazing band musically and spiritually. 20 years ago i saw U2 for the 1st time in concert and I got what they were about and still are about. I am not a fanatical fan, yes i have fantasized and dreamed of meeting U2. I wouldn't know what to say if Bono were in front of me or the other guys. I would choose my words carefully. I would be afraid to praise him because he probably gets that all the time. I am now 37 and i just haven't wasted my time following them or getting every song that was ever written. I have seen them 9 times, which isn't much but I just don't have the money to follow them all over America. I did belong to Propaganda in 87. Personally I love the 80's stuff more than the techno. I feel that they are TOO HUGE now. I feel Bono is a loving , caring, and heartfelt person. But I also feel that he does look at himself as a rock God, which he uses in positive ways in the world. With the power that he has, he has used it in helping third world countries. That is what I like about Bono. He does love the camera, which I don't mind. :lol: :heart: :edge: :bono: :larry: :adam: :eeklaugh:

Last edited:
indra said:
I don't think it matter how people view Bono or U2, except when they tell others they must do the same...that does get a bit annoying. I think that can go either way too -- those that worship Bono/U2 and also those who view him/them as exactly like Joe down the street. It's not so much the view they hold regarding him/them as much as it is the insistance that others hold the same view.

* this is my general observation, not meant to point at anyone here.

:wink: I use to lust after a Joe. :drool:

Last edited:
Is Bono a prick? Maybe. Is he arrogant? Maybe. But you know what? Musicians who are not prickish and arrogant do not make great music. That's just the way it is. You have to have a really large amount of confidence to get up in front of 15,000 people every night and pour your guts out. That kind of confidence, to me, bathes in arrogance and I respect it highly.

FYI:

Bono is not a prick, nor is he arrogant. For anyone who has actually met the man and spent any amount of time with him, if only for a few minutes, my statement will ring true. If he was such a jerk, why do so many people, from politicians to journalists to most of us wish to be in his presence?

Bono is stubborn, and maybe obstinate at times, but it is always for the Greater Good - whether for Africa or for U2. How is it that someone who gives their all, for the Good of all, can be thought of as anything less than GREAT?:ohmy:

Maybe we need to spend some time in self-contemplation and see if we are giving the world the best that we can give it. And if we are, we will understand Bono better and be less willing to criticize this man's MAGNIFICENT HEART & SOUL.:yes:

in the tempest said:
Is Bono a prick? Maybe. Is he arrogant? Maybe. But you know what? Musicians who are not prickish and arrogant do not make great music. That's just the way it is. You have to have a really large amount of confidence to get up in front of 15,000 people every night and pour your guts out. That kind of confidence, to me, bathes in arrogance and I respect it highly.

I don't agree that he is arrogant at all. Sometimes people mistake the way a person acts and interprets it as arrogance when it is really insecurity.

Also, there was a time when Bono would literally get sick and throw up before going on stage and he questioned if he'd be able to keep doing that. And this wasn't during the beggining of his touring days, it was in the 90s when that was happened. So I don't really believe the term 'prick' or 'arrogant' applies here.

What would you say if you did meet any of them

Would you come across as the slightly crazed fan, be too dumbstruck to say anything coherant, or do you have something planned that would no doubt make you sound like a tit if you came out with it.

I'm never sure what I'd be like..

I always thought Bono's reputation for arrogance was blown way out of proportion. He himself admits to having a big ego, but that's not the same thing as being arrogant. Arrogant people treat people like crap because they think they are entitled, but from everything I've heard about Bono he is pretty down-to-earth - signs autographs for fans and chats with them (something a lot of celebs don't do). Also, I don't think he would have been able to hang onto the friendships he has had with people like Guggi and Gavin since childhood if he was an arrogant jerk, not to mention being in the same band with the same people for more than 25 years.

Another thing why u2 fans sometimes can annoy me-they always talk about BONO
Bono this and Bono that...If Bono would have jumped off the building, all of you would do the same.

Bono ate shit- let's do it ourselves

And yes you talk about Edge, Larry and Adam, but Bono is the most spoken word on this forum.

Next thing:
You all complain about membership, tickets,wanting shows in your CITY....
I never saw u2 live, and never will, closest show is i believe in Brussels, or in Munchen which are 12/9 hours of car driving and i'm minor so i have to force parents to go with me.
Membership-never will be a member-where to find 40$ just to spend on few videos,news or whatever about favourite group.

Next thing:
If you ever have seen PLEBA area, there is no talk about Paul McGuiness->why is the name PLEBA, why isn't LEBAž
And the stupidest thread->what's best picture of Bono&Ali together???
And you stupid folks post pictures of them together.

Important Notice:
Don't get me wrong, not all of you are crazy and fanatics. Just Many

I don't worship them as Gods, just Edge, i think plays great,no best guitar in the world, others are very good players.
Bono: you all say that he can't sing and that he's great singer!!!!
HOW CONTRADICTORY!!!

I have an idea for PLEBA section-How many times does Bono take a shit in one day????

Pero said:
Bono this and Bono that...If Bono would have jumped off the building, all of you would do the same.

Bono ate shit- let's do it ourselves

And yes you talk about Edge, Larry and Adam, but Bono is the most spoken word on this forum.

Next thing:
You all complain about membership, tickets,wanting shows in your CITY....
I never saw u2 live, and never will, closest show is i believe in Brussels, or in Munchen which are 12/9 hours of car driving and i'm minor so i have to force parents to go with me.
Membership-never will be a member-where to find 40$ just to spend on few videos,news or whatever about favourite group.

Next thing:
If you ever have seen PLEBA area, there is no talk about Paul McGuiness->why is the name PLEBA, why isn't LEBAž
And the stupidest thread->what's best picture of Bono&Ali together???
And you stupid folks post pictures of them together.

Important Notice:
Don't get me wrong, not all of you are crazy and fanatics. Just Many

I don't worship them as Gods, just Edge, i think plays great,no best guitar in the world, others are very good players.
Bono: you all say that he can't sing and that he's great singer!!!!
HOW CONTRADICTORY!!!

I have an idea for PLEBA section-How many times does Bono take a shit in one day????

:yawn::yawn::rolleyes: Give it a rest. Trolling is uncalled for. Expressing your opinion is one thing, but deliberately insulting a huge group of people in a moronic fashion is something else entirely. That sort of rudeness is inexcusable unless you are under the age of 5... actually, my little niece is 2 and a half, and still has better manners than you have just shown us. .:madspit:

Last edited:
Well said SlaayCinnamon. I don't post that often (bout 20 a year) but I feel this iis just personal bitterness pervading through. If people wish to discuss anything about Bono & co. here, let them... where else'll they do it? At the water cooler in work? So :censored: off!

Ellay said:
What would you say if you did meet any of them

Would you come across as the slightly crazed fan, be too dumbstruck to say anything coherant, or do you have something planned that would no doubt make you sound like a tit if you came out with it.

I'm never sure what I'd be like..

I saw Adam in Dublin, I did not say anything to him. We just walked past him and then my Dad said "was that adam clayton, that bass player from you know your band". We turned round and he was gone, walking towards Grafton Street with some bloke.

And that was about it
:huh:

I met Coldplay once, I got tickets to their aftershow from the lead singer of their support band. We all drank a lot and we were the only non band/ management folk there. Chris Martin went off to his bus and Johnny sat with, I think, his girlfriend. Will and the other one (Guy?) sat talking to their tour bloke. We just treated them like we normally treat people we meet. They did get us free drinks. :drool: They are still normal folk at the end of the day, people tend to put all these bands on a pedestal and think they are somehow different to everyone else out there.

Pero said:

[snip]

Your response here is uncalled for, this kind of language or rudeness and calling other members names really isn't necessary . Please take a look at the forum FAQ concerning our posting rules here as I have asked you to do in the past.

And if there is a certain forum you don't like, simply don't visit it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help there neutral :hug:

Lara Mullen said:
I've never liked Bono
:huh:

You may not like Bono, that's your choice and it's fair enough - but you don't go round calling people who do like him "stupid" and "crazy", do you? At least , I've never known you to! The rudeness of that poster was what I was objecting to, not their disliking Bono The Sexy Wildebeest.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom