I get a little annoyed by U2 fans sometimes. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2004, 02:58 PM   #46
The Fly

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Is it just me or is the term 'fanatic' being confused with 'psychotic' in this thread?

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill

Old 12-19-2004, 03:42 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Windmilllane
I have worshipped U2 for 19 years.

I love Bono as a performer. But as a person, I think he is prick. I think he is arrogant and conceited as hell. And I think all that humanitarian bullshit is fake. Please... give me a break. He is just doing this for his own publicity. His ego is so big that he needs to be on TV, radio and in magazines every single day.

But as a performer, he is awesome. I love when he is on stage and performs. He blows my mind, the way he shows his emotions when he performs. Under a Blood Red Sky is the quintessential Bono. Rattle and Hum, too.

Basically, my relationship with Bono is weird. I totally love him as a performer, but I could give a shit about him as a person.

Bono is a rock star. That's all he is. And he is playing the part of a rock star. That's it.
Wow, strong words!
Innitially, I thought you were being sarcastic regarding your dislike for Bono "the person." It's clear that you are serious. Why do you think he's arrogant/conceited/fake humanitarian ???

I'm just curious.

Old 12-19-2004, 03:44 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

if i were to meet bono, like others have said, i'd be floored. but i wouldn't go into that whole "omigodbonoiloveyousomuchyou'resoawesomeiwanttohaveyourbabiesandi'veputahitoutonalibecauseshe'sabitchandwebelongtogetheriloveyou somuchbonoomigodahhhhhhh!" stuff.

Lets hope not!
Old 12-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:

I love Bono as a performer. But as a person, I think he is prick. I think he is arrogant and conceited as hell. And I think all that humanitarian bullshit is fake. Please... give me a break. He is just doing this for his own publicity. His ego is so big that he needs to be on TV, radio and in magazines every single day.
wow. that is pretty harsh. and you worship u2?

if bono were that much of a prick and so desperate to be in the news, why wouldn't he just get his publicity by doing more prickish rock star things like banging supermodels and overdosing on coke?
or better yet--how about putting out more than one record every 4 years.

seems like he is putting in an awful lot of effort "pretending" to be a humanitarian just to get on tv.

i understand people seeing some fans as going "ga ga" overboard in hero worship of the man, but i think your statement is just as ridiculous in the opposite direction.

and no, i do not think bono is God.
but i do not think he is normal either.
he is a special person and i am not ashamed to say i look up to him .
Old 12-19-2004, 05:00 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by caragriff

and no, i do not think bono is God.
but i do not think he is normal either.
he is a special person and i am not ashamed to say i look up to him .
Well said.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:04 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:

I feel the same, I guess, but not as strongly as you. I've progressively become less of a fan of him over the years because of his ego and arrogance, which I don't like in anyone - Bono is no exception to that rule.
However, in terms of his humanitarian work - sure, I take some of it with a pinch of salt, but for the larger part, I think his work for and concerns about Africa are completely genuine. And y'know, at the end of the day, I couldn't care less if they're not. He's doing something to try sort out that situation, and I respect him for that.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:06 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

One thing I've always gotten from Bono is that he kinda knows when he's being an ass, and he tries not to push it too far. And for that I love him.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:04 PM   #53
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
I'm also annoyed at some fans - but a different kind.
The know-it-all, doom and gloom people who do nothing but moan and whine on and on about U2 that we hear in ATYCLB and HTDAAB.
That'd be me, rhjbonovox and ponkine.

But hey, i'm not doom/gloom! No phookin way! But, yes, i know it all.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:17 PM   #54
War Child

Bono embarrasses me sometimes; the way he acts and what he says. I love him as a performer. He is so amazing when he is on stage, even if he can't sing for shit. I think that he is fake when it comes to his humanitarian work. And he thinks he is all cool, but he's a joke.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Bono embarrasses me sometimes; the way he acts and what he says. I love him as a performer. He is so amazing when he is on stage, even if he can't sing for shit. I think that he is fake when it comes to his humanitarian work. And he thinks he is all cool, but he's a joke.
I don't know about you - but if I was "fake" about something - I surely wouldn't spend a huge percentage of my adult life doing charity work, that's for sure. Bono has been involved in humanitarian causes from the get-go; what would he have to gain by "faking it" all these years? Are you also of the belief that U2 aren't really a political band, but are just grandstanding to get attention? I'd be interested in hearing more of your theory as to why you think Bono is faking his interest in humanitarian work.

One of the times I've been surest of Bono's sincerity is through his passion for his humanitarian causes.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:02 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

U2 fans often annoy me too - but NOT because of their admiration for Bono. Heck, of all the reasons, that's dead last. Go ahead and hero worship! As long as no harm is done (stalking, danger to one's self or to others, threatening Bono, etc.), I see no harm in it. In fact, I think he's a great role model. He shows people that one can be successful and wealthy, yet loyal, faithful, caring and talented. He never rests on his laurels (pardon the cliche) as he always sets higher goals for himself.

U2 fans often annoy me because they are never satisfied. If U2 experiment, they miss the JT era. When U2 produce music that hits at the JT era, the claim U2 aren't being experimental enough. If U2 are risk-taking, they stop following them. If U2 fail to be innovative enough, they claim they are being "safe" and "boring" and should retire. Some want b-sides and when we get them, they want more. Some fans love remixes, tons of others hate them. Despite U2 having 50% or more of the tickets on their last tour a mere $45 (just $10 more than the ZOO TV tour), many fans complained about the higher priced tickets, even though they were hundreds less than other artists. If U2 accept sponsorship, they are sell-outs. If U2 don't and charge more for tickets, they are "greedy". If U2 have 100 dates on a tour, people want more cities and dates. If U2 play 2 hours, people want 2.5 hours. If U2 play 22 songs, they want 23.

In other words, it's always a losing battle. U2 can never seem to win with their fans - it's amazing that they are still so popular given the whining, griping, ungrateful nature of the fans. Some bands don't tour at all. Some bands don't even try producing outstanding albums any more. Some have lost the "magic". Some charge TONS more for their concert tickets. Some are all too happy to do commercials representing jeans or batteries or soda. And most could care less about the world around them. Yet U2 fans still gripe.

So go ahead and worship Bono - that's one of the few GOOD things fans do.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:05 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
This is an EXCELLENT example of what I'm talking about. When I heard Bono sing on SNL or the NYC concert recently, I was stunned at how good his voice is, yet this person claims that he "can't sing for shit". And even though Bono has been working on Jubilee 2000/DATA for 5 years now, even touring on its behalf, this person claims it's "all a joke" and Bono's "fake". It's a no win situation. He sounds great - but people's selective memories claim he'll never sound as good as he "once did" (even though his voice often gave out and he was as scratchy as ever in the 80's as well). He spends 5+ years of his life extremely devoted to a project after spending 15 years before that exploring the ideas and dedicating $$ and time, yet it's all a "joke". This is the type of fan that annoys me.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:04 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
U2 fans often annoy me too - but NOT because of their admiration for Bono. Heck, of all the reasons, that's dead last. Go ahead and hero worship! As long as no harm is done (stalking, danger to one's self or to others, threatening Bono, etc.), I see no harm in it. In fact, I think he's a great role model. He shows people that one can be successful and wealthy, yet loyal, faithful, caring and talented. He never rests on his laurels (pardon the cliche) as he always sets higher goals for himself.

U2 fans often annoy me because they are never satisfied. If U2 experiment, they miss the JT era. When U2 produce music that hits at the JT era, the claim U2 aren't being experimental enough. If U2 are risk-taking, they stop following them. If U2 fail to be innovative enough, they claim they are being "safe" and "boring" and should retire. Some want b-sides and when we get them, they want more. Some fans love remixes, tons of others hate them. Despite U2 having 50% or more of the tickets on their last tour a mere $45 (just $10 more than the ZOO TV tour), many fans complained about the higher priced tickets, even though they were hundreds less than other artists. If U2 accept sponsorship, they are sell-outs. If U2 don't and charge more for tickets, they are "greedy". If U2 have 100 dates on a tour, people want more cities and dates. If U2 play 2 hours, people want 2.5 hours. If U2 play 22 songs, they want 23.

In other words, it's always a losing battle. U2 can never seem to win with their fans - it's amazing that they are still so popular given the whining, griping, ungrateful nature of the fans. Some bands don't tour at all. Some bands don't even try producing outstanding albums any more. Some have lost the "magic". Some charge TONS more for their concert tickets. Some are all too happy to do commercials representing jeans or batteries or soda. And most could care less about the world around them. Yet U2 fans still gripe.

I agree with everything Doctor Who has said in this post!

U2 fans, including those of us at Interference, should be happy these days. There is a new album out, finally, and it is doing extremely well sales-wise. The band is making good news just about every day for filming a video or getting into the R'n'R Hall of Fame or playing a free concert in Brooklyn. This is a wonderful time to be a fan. But some people instead dwell on the songs they don't like, their perception of some Bono fans as overenthusiastic, etc. etc. etc.

Sure, you don't have to like every song U2 has ever recorded. You have every right to express your opinion. But this damn negativity during what is a GREAT time to be a U2 fan is making Interference a lot less fun to visit these days, when it should be more fun!
Old 12-19-2004, 08:23 PM   #59
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

That is easily the best post on this thread. Abso-bloody-lutely right, doc.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-19-2004, 08:23 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Windmilllane [/i]
I have worshipped U2 for 19 years.

Quote:
I love Bono as a performer. But as a person, I think he is prick. I think he is arrogant and conceited as hell. And I think all that humanitarian bullshit is fake.
Sorry but that doesn't add up. How can you adore him as a performer..blah blah blah and feel about him this way. Can't have it both ways. That's to much of a contradiction.

Quote:
Basically, my relationship with Bono is weird. I totally love him as a performer, but I could give a shit about him as a person.
What relationship? Do you hang out with him or see him on a regular basis. Please, your're as pretentious as you claim he is.

Quote:
Bono is a rock star. That's all he is. And he is playing the part of a rock star. That's it.
Well at least you got part of that right. He does do the Rock Star bit quite well. But that's not It!! In my opinion of course..