I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rush

There's nothing more excruciating then a Rush fan.
Nothing.

p.s.- I know I'm right because I'm A MUSICIAN!

p.p.s.- Sorry about the slight on Rush fans MrBrau1 but most of them really are appalling geeks.

Bono's shades said:
About a year ago a car company offered U2 millions and millions of dollars to use Where the Streets Have No Name in a commercial, but they said no - even though the Who, Led Zeppelin, hell, even Boy Dylan and The Clash, have let their songs to be used to hawk products. If they really were greedy, wouldn't they have taken the money and run?
100% CORRECT, CASE CLOSED!!!:up:

I'm getting vertigo from reading all of these messeges!!

I think it's reflective of U2 being a stellar band that they can raise so much discussion and opinion. Democracy!

I don't see U2 being "past thier peak" at all. Some people will always say this sort of thing, perhaps because they have a personal attachment to a certain era.

All I know is, the band makes my heart sing...and makes me realize how "lucky I am to have a pulse" as Bono says.

In my opinion, I think U2 are evolving and getting more interesting. There's a sense of urgency -- and an underscoring of the power of living in the moment.

After hearing an mp3 of Vertigo this morning, I had the best day I've had in quite a while. It was a three minute soul-charging...the kind of musical infusion that makes me hunger for purpose and do silly things like give my 94-year-old grandmother an extra hug

...thankful for the fact that she too still has a pulse.

That's the power of U2...

:wink:

Last edited:
The thread needs to be closed. No Control is not a fan. She's magically appeared the exact moment U2 release their new single? She's posted in 1 thread, the one she started (a negative thread by the way.) She's a troll, albiet a very patient troll. No U2 suck dick, or Bono is gay, but the intent is the same. Why has she been allowed here for 17 pgs of nonresponse? A real fan would say their peace, then move on. She's having a laugh on us. Dump her.

Last edited:
Before you go off on a whole spiel about how U2 has "peaked musically," why don't you wait until the entire new ALBUM comes out and give that a listen... though I can't understand how you could not like Veritgo, to each his own.

Saying that U2 is just in it for the money - I'm not even gonna go there, 'cause others have already proved you wrong. Why you'd try to argue something like this on a U2 fansite is beyond me anyway. We don't all mindlessly worship the band, but I think I'm safe in assuming that 99% of the people here can see that Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry are very caring people. If you're trying to convince us that they're actually heartless greedy bastards, I think you're gonna have a difficult time.

Besides, The Edge himself completely ownzed you. The fact that someone from the band cares enough about fans to actually POST ON A MESSAGE BOARD shows that he's not just in it for the money.

You're gonna seriously regret posting here when your children are born naked :p

Um... I don't know how anyone could 100% surely know that U2 is "strictly in it for the money." That doesn't make any sense at all to me personally. They HAVE money. They don't NEED to make another dime for the rest of their lives. They have families and lives of their own, but yet they take the time out to make albums and tour and tour and tour for US and for themselves b/c they just love what they do. They wouldn't do it if they didn't, you can be sure of that. Plus, I mean DAMN. After so many years of making music and accomplishing so much, they DESERVE all of the success they can get. They deserve to reap the benefits of everything they've worked for. But that's just what I think ;)

MrBrau1 said:
The thread needs to be closed. No Control is not a fan. She's magically appeared the exact moment U2 release their new single? She's posted in 1 thread, the one she started (a negative thread by the way.) She's a troll, albiet a very patient troll. No U2 suck dick, or Bono is gay, but the intent is the same. Why has she been allowed here for 17 pgs of nonresponse? A real fan would say their peace, then move on. She's having a laugh on us. Dump her.

And if you (and others) didn't respond, this thread would already be effectively dead. No need to lock it, just stop posting. Easy.

If they were just in it for the money, they would have quit in 1987. However, they continue on because the reasons as to why they continue to make music is driven by their pure passion for writing, collaborating and performing music, rather than you so blantantly put it, 'The money.'

indra said:

And if you (and others) didn't respond, this thread would already be effectively dead. No need to lock it, just stop posting. Easy.

That's easy for you to say, as you look back at a thread that's run it course. She faked us out from the very beginning. This thread could have also been called "U2 are greedy whores" and it would've been closed after it was started.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

That's easy for you to say, as you look back at a thread that's run it course. She faked us out from the very beginning.

I saw it when it was first posted. And I've read through it as it has developed. I chose not to respond.

indra said:

I saw it when it was first posted. And I've read through it as it has developed. I chose not to respond.

Good choice. Looking back, I never should have responded as well. Either way, it's a clever troll, and it should be closed.

MrBrau1 said:

This thread could have also been called "U2 are greedy whores" and it would've been closed after it was started.

My original point still stands -- if no one responded it would be effectively closed.

MrBrau1 said:

Good choice. Looking back, I never should have responded as well. Either way, it's a clever troll, and it should be closed.

You know, it's quite possible that being attacked provoked the more harsh postings. You (and everyone here) should have the freedom to say what they want. So someone thinks U2 is greedy and has sold out. Big deal. It's hardly the first time those things have been said. And it's hardly offensive. It also won't be the last. Pushing to have the thread closed just makes you seem like a humourless lemming. Just let it die a natural death.

indra said:

You know, it's quite possible that being attacked provoked the more harsh postings. You (and everyone here) should have the freedom to say what they want. So someone thinks U2 is greedy and has sold out. Big deal. It's hardly the first time those things have been said. And it's hardly offensive. It also won't be the last. Pushing to have the thread closed just makes you seem like a humourless lemming. Just let it die a natural death.

You're right. But this person IS a troll who snuck one by. Close it like others are closed.

Anyone remember the name of the dude that lighten the mood of a similar thread several days ago by announcing he loved his own ass?

usamilo said:
Anyone remember the name of the dude that lighten the mood of a similar thread several days ago by announcing he loved his own ass?

Well...no one else would.

But I have no clue who it was.

usamilo said:

Wasn't that someone with a MacPhisto-y screen name?

Wow! Now I'm really happy I posted a major U2 defense on page 2 of this thread!!! I hope the Edge liked it. haha- I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!

AJ

You know, I can understand people who disagree with me. But what I can't understand is meanless insults, especially from people who know NOTHING about the music industry, who know NOTHING about music, at least from a technical point of view. Everyone who read what I had to say and somewhat go the jist of what I was saying is open minded enough even if they mostly disagreed. The ones who just say things to me like "Fuck off, you fuckwit", etc., are the ones who are either a) in denial and know I'm right, or b) incredibly ignorant, or c) all the above.

Ignorance is bliss!

Oh and don't forget to purchase your $60 t-shirts (among other things) when you see your Gods next year!

Oh and btw, I'm a guy Mr. Brau1.

*shaking head*

Last edited:
this is my first post in this pointless thread but basically I feel No Control should be pimp slapped and thrown out of the forum. I read his first post and agreed with a couple things here and there, I respected his opinion in other words.

But someone should post snippets of what this guy has been saying about u2 since that first post..."cash-cow sellouts" and all that, man what a hater this guy is. Why is it against rock n roll religion to like making money? Like me or you would do anything different? When you sign a record deal, technically you're selling out right there.

This guy was a u2 fan? Ticket prices too high? T-Shrit prices too high? Don't go then!! don't know if you were actually a u2 fan at one time, but damn man....you're a hater!!!! You spent SO MUCH TIME posting these useless arguements and dont even like the band anymore, find a hobby.

Look at his username, you should get the sarcasm on why he named himself that (from "out of control" to "no control"). So that means he joined and logged onto this website to hate on the band.

I say we close this thread. I think MrBrau1 and Diemen held it down though, good arguments, although it was funny that whenever one was brought up NC said "NO!!" or "Not True!" instead of coming up with an educated response. I am looking forward to your smart ass reply to this but I can honestly swear on my life that I wont come back to this thread to read it.

OI NO CONTROL!

YOURE OUT OF CONTROL!

Hey man, relax mate! Just wait for the album to come out in November and make your judgement then! I cant believe you have put down some real bullshit argument about U2's peaking musically after one new song and I honestly think you have Veritgo-phobia to be honest!

jeez!

and the tour next year? I bet my bottom dollar that U2 will supersede the last tour and play to bigger audiences around the world (As a European who has seen them too many times, I hope they turn up in OZ!)

One last thing....you know what? Its all a matter of our musical taste which is the very reason why we are all here in this forum to discuss whether we like the songs or not but I gotta tell you from 3 years experience of being in this forum, there have been some very fair criticism but in absolutely no way, does your comments count as fair!

thats my penny's worth and I hope No Control can have the patience to step back and wait for the new album to come out!

A message for HelloAngel, please close this thread as its getting too far! thanks!

dougal

RademR said:
this is my first post in this pointless thread but basically I feel No Control should be pimp slapped and thrown out of the forum. I read his first post and agreed with a couple things here and there, I respected his opinion in other words.

But someone should post snippets of what this guy has been saying about u2 since that first post..."cash-cow sellouts" and all that, man what a hater this guy is. Why is it against rock n roll religion to like making money? Like me or you would do anything different? When you sign a record deal, technically you're selling out right there.

This guy was a u2 fan? Ticket prices too high? T-Shrit prices too high? Don't go then!! don't know if you were actually a u2 fan at one time, but damn man....you're a hater!!!! You spent SO MUCH TIME posting these useless arguements and dont even like the band anymore, find a hobby.

Look at his username, you should get the sarcasm on why he named himself that (from "out of control" to "no control"). So that means he joined and logged onto this website to hate on the band.

I say we close this thread. I think MrBrau1 and Diemen held it down though, good arguments, although it was funny that whenever one was brought up NC said "NO!!" or "Not True!" instead of coming up with an educated response. I am looking forward to your smart ass reply to this but I can honestly swear on my life that I wont come back to this thread to read it.

You either can't read or haven't read anything I've been saying. You're a perfect example of an idiot. Give yourself a round of applause! Bravo!

Ignorance is bliss!

The Edge said:
You want to know what I think?:no:

If you dont think the new LP is one of the best we have ever done....I'll be very surprised!!

If you dont like it....I will put a curse on you and all of your children will be born completely naked!:yes:

Being honest, to say the album is good we need to listen all the songs. Vertigo is a good tune, so excellent beginning.

I'm down to earth after ATYCLB, great opening with Beautiful Day but not all the album is good. by the way, it's only my opinion....i like the rock tunes, so it's hard for me to accept wild honey.

See ya soon :wave:

Lara_Croft said:

I'm down to earth after ATYCLB, great opening with Beautiful Day but not all the album is good. by the way, it's only my opinion....i like the rock tunes, so it's hard for me to accept wild honey.

See ya soon :wave:

What's interesting is that I adore "Wild Honey" and wouldn't mind hearing MORE of those types of songs. Edge and Bono harmonizing on an "acoustic" guitar track. When they performed "Staring at the Sun" this way on the POPMart tour, it was brilliant - and I'm sure this inspired them to create "Wild Honey".

In other words, what one fan doesn't like, another does! :) Therefore, what's really important is that U2 create what THEY like.

u2ulysses said:

What's interesting is that I adore "Wild Honey" and wouldn't mind hearing MORE of those types of songs. Edge and Bono harmonizing on an "acoustic" guitar track.

In other words, what one fan doesn't like, another does! :) Therefore, what's really important is that U2 create what THEY like.

I actually love Wild Honey also. When they played it live I really took to that song, in fact my favorite live version was in the Austin concert, I have listened to it tons of times.

It was interesting to hear everyone criticizing the song when people who were trying to describe songs from the new album would say that one reminded them of Wild Honey and people would go "Oh no", and I would say to myself "That isn't necesarily bad".

Wild Honey is my fourth favorite song on ATYCLB after BD, Walk On and Kite.

NoControl said:

I've already went over that in my previous post and added the addtional attendances to reflect that.

And I told you why you can not compare tours that did not play the same size venues, did not last an equal amount of time and did not play the same countries.

Ok, you obviously don't understand.

PopMart tour: 30-80,000 seat Stadiums
Elevation tour: 15-20,000 seat Arenas

See the difference? The only reason why U2 sold out more shows in 2001 than 1997-98 was because they were playing SMALLER VENUES.

Yeah, and they sold out the arenas where nothing like that happened with stadiums. Not good for a band of their status, especially known for live performances.
U2 decides what venues they'll play after the album is finished. With demand they had on the last tour, they could easily play stadiums in Europe and in markets in US where they played 3-4 nights in arenas (they just felt the album fit arenas' intimate settings). With Popmart, it was simply a bad idea to go straight to stadiums playing unrehearsed, less accessive image and a complex album.

And the with Slane Castle shows: Europe's a completely different beast. U2 is more popular concert draw there.

True, US is a different market. Still U2 could have done at least a few stadium shows there, if they wanted to.

To make a shitload of money. And there's been no selective posting..on my part anyways.

:banghead: Yes, I guess that's why they went to SMALLER venues and played a SHORTER tour with LESS countries played. Selective replying - I said that because you did not reply to my comments before.

Last edited:
This thread should have stopped when somebody asked:

"How the hell can you rationalize that argument after hearing one bloody song?"

Good grief. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom