I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

MrBrau1 said:
Good for you. I love Rush as well. The Pass is one of the best songs I've ever heard. I don't know how "groundbreaking" it is, but it's still great. Do you get mad when Rush play "Spirit Of Radio" in concert? Are they just cashing in?

Glad to hear another Rush fan is in a U2 forum. But why would I get mad? And each of Rush's albums have their own flavour, their own atmosphere that is different with each release.

Originally posted by MrBrau1 Off Topic- What's up the the cover of the Rio live DVD?

What's up with it? Well, the dragon with a cocktail is up, up in the air!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

NoControl said:
What's up with it? Well, the dragon with a cocktail is up, up in the air!

It's a good thing their songs are so good:wink:

NoControl said:

it's quite obvious that they're now only into music exclusively for the money....

Exclusively for the money? I completely disagree.
They sound to me like a band that is in it because they really love what they are doing, and are still excited about making music.
If they were so "obviously" money motivated, they would stick to what had been successful for them in the past, the way most bands of a certain age do. They already have more money they they could ever spend. They're continuing to make music because they are musicians and creative artists.

MrBrau1 said:
You left out the part where I proved you were wrong.:wink:

Uh no. I'm saying that they're not concerned with making music that's creative and pushing the envelope anymore because of monetary reasons. And what U2 always used to be about was making music that was challenging and unique, ever since day one.

biff said:
They sound to me like a band that is in it because they really love what they are doing, and are still excited about making music.
If they were so "obviously" money motivated, they would stick to what had been successful for them in the past, the way most bands of a certain age do. They already have more money they they could ever spend. They're continuing to make music because they are musicians and creative artists.

OMG They HAVE stuck to a formula for the past four or five years. ALCLB sounds just like Vertigo. And if U2 weren't monetarily motivated, then why would they be charging $150 per ticket as well as what I just said above?

ALCLB (sic) sounds just like Vertigo?! Are you listening to a different recording?
As to ticket prices, the prices they charged on the last tour were in line with and in some cases cheaper than other acts of their importance. $85 dollars got people into the heart (and that was in Canadian dollars). That was a very good deal.
(Are you sure you're not Jick in disguise?:wink: )

NoControl said:

Uh no. I'm saying that they're not concerned with making music that's creative and pushing the envelope anymore because of monetary reasons. And what U2 always used to be about was making music that was challenging and unique, ever since day one.

I think Kite is pretty creative. I've never heard a song like that before. If anything, they're embracing their own sound. You also skimmed over the torpedo I launched that sunk you arguement. They were compelled to make a pop record BEFORE the "failure" of Pop and Popmart. The ultimate goal of an artist is to get what's in their head through their hands and out to the world. Since they were inclined to make ATYCLB BEFORE the "failure" of Pop and Popmart, their motives can't be questioned. They're genuine. They made the record they wanted to make, making them successful artists. Unless you think my quote is wrong. It's not.

biff said:

If they were solely money-driven we'd have had numerous clones of Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

NoControl said:

OMG They HAVE stuck to a formula for the past four or five years. ALCLB sounds just like Vertigo. And if U2 weren't monetarily motivated, then why would they be charging $150 per ticket as well as what I just said above?

I got floor tix (best in the place) for $45. If all they want is money, why are the best seats the cheapest?

U2girl said:

To everything there is a season. Where else could U2 possibly go after Pop, to experiment?
I'd much rather have solid songs - which I'm sure they will ultimately be known in history for - over loops and effects and samples.

I agree! All these people who whine about experimentation, how would you like it if they 'experimented' with numetal? Or Irish folk rap? Country punk? Bluegrass classical? Do you really want something 'experimental' or do you just want Pop again? That wouldn't be very 'experimental' anymore, now would it? :lmao: I can't believe some people can't get over this! I know we had so many threads like this the last 3 years as if they were trying to influence the direction of the band. Well, we have the new direction of the band, and if you're gonna whine about this one too maybe you're not really a fan anymore, maybe you only like Pop, so go listen to it and let the rest of us enjoy and be happy with our new stuff!

Ahh, yes. Nothing amuses me more over the past 10 years than hearing "fans" rip the band after the first single. It's absolutely hilarious. Nothing U2 does after JT and Achtung will please you people.

What do you want or expect? Indo-Celtic Trance Music? Passengers II? Million Dollar Hotel II?

Hello Hello? This is a U2 album and this is what U2 sounds like when they play ROCK MUSIC. Do you want the Edge to start playing the flute? The Edge plays this instrument called a guitar most of the time, and he's become quite good at it. I think it would be a real shame if Mr. the Edge was denied the pleasure of rocking Madison Square Garden with his vicious power chords while he jousts with Bono on stage. If you want more atmospheric U2, go find your U2 Cd's from the 90's and put them in your CD player. As for the rest of us, we'll be at the 2005 concerts headbanging to the best authentic rock songs since 1993.

You are all certainly entitled to your opinions of U2's foray into aggressive rock, but I'm entitled to my opinion of your criticisms, which I believe stem from your bias against anything that is not the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby.

Is U2 reduced to a silly competition among their albums? Of course not. Comparing different eras is like comparing Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain - different positions, different eras. I look at things for their inherent value, not so I can hold it up side-by-side with something else and say oops, I like the old sh*t better, so this sucks.

So if you cynics want to rip this album even before you hear it, go ahead. Just remember that I'll be here waiting to rip you.

AJ

I think some folks need to listen to the leaked clips. Miracle Drug doesn't sound very mediocre in my books.

NoControl said:

Bono stated on MuchMusic on the floor of the Toyko Dome after the last show of the Zoo TV tour that, "White rock music has never been so dull, it's actually retrogressive. And sure, we might do it again, just plug in bass, drums & guitar. But it is in a way, your parent's music. White rock music at the moment is the folk music of the '90s."

Eighties Bono said that he didn't like/ care for dance music and the technology involved... people's perceptions change...

Originally posted by biff ALCLB (sic) sounds just like Vertigo?! Are you listening to a different recording?
As to ticket prices, the prices they charged on the last tour were in line with and in some cases cheaper than other acts of their importance. $85 dollars got people into the heart (and that was in Canadian dollars). That was a very good deal.
(Are you sure you're not Jick in disguise?:wink: )

I'm listening to the same recordings. And it doesn't matter if they were in line or not. It's still overall too expensive.

MrBrau1 said:
I think Kite is pretty creative. I've never heard a song like that before. If anything, they're embracing their own sound. You also skimmed over the torpedo I launched that sunk you arguement. They were compelled to make a pop record BEFORE the "failure" of Pop and Popmart. The ultimate goal of an artist is to get what's in their head through their hands and out to the world. Since they were inclined to make ATYCLB BEFORE the "failure" of Pop and Popmart, their motives can't be questioned. They're genuine. They made the record they wanted to make, making them successful artists. Unless you think my quote is wrong. It's not.

I've already shown you why you're wrong. And you've done nothing to prove me wrong, regardless if it's a stupid off hand comment by Larry.

NoControl said:

I've already shown you why you're wrong. And you've done nothing to prove me wrong, regardless if it's a stupid off hand comment by Larry.

Go back and read your post. You've proven NOTHING. I've proved you wrong. If you still think you're right, I've got a bridge I wanna sell ya.

MrBrau1 said:
I got floor tix (best in the place) for $45. If all they want is money, why are the best seats the cheapest?

More than 50% of the tickets to the Elevation tour were $85 and $130. Get your facts straight.

Originally posted by U2Kitten I agree! All these people who whine about experimentation, how would you like it if they 'experimented' with numetal? Or Irish folk rap? Country punk? Bluegrass classical? Do you really want something 'experimental' or do you just want Pop again? That wouldn't be very 'experimental' anymore, now would it? :lmao: I can't believe some people can't get over this! I know we had so many threads like this the last 3 years as if they were trying to influence the direction of the band. Well, we have the new direction of the band, and if you're gonna whine about this one too maybe you're not really a fan anymore, maybe you only like Pop, so go listen to it and let the rest of us enjoy and be happy with our new stuff!

I'm a fan. It's just that I can see the forest through the trees, that's all. And you're missing my point about U2 being unique.

NoControl said:

More than 50% of the tickets to the Elevation tour were $85 and $130. Get your facts straight.

If all they want is $ why were the best seats $45. You didn't respond to that question.

Originally posted by Hawk269 Ahh, yes. Nothing amuses me more over the past 10 years than hearing "fans" rip the band after the first single. It's absolutely hilarious. Nothing U2 does after JT and Achtung will please you people.

I love Zooropa and Pop.

Originally posted by Hawk269 What do you want or expect? Indo-Celtic Trance Music? Passengers II? Million Dollar Hotel II?

Anything but retrogressvie music.

Originally posted by Hawk269 Hello Hello? This is a U2 album and this is what U2 sounds like when they play ROCK MUSIC. Do you want the Edge to start playing the flute? The Edge plays this instrument called a guitar most of the time, and he's become quite good at it.

Technically The Edge is not a great guitarist. However, through how he ultilizes effects and creates atmosphere, or at least how he used to, is his stength.

Originally posted by Hawk269 If you want more atmospheric U2, go find your U2 Cd's from the 90's and put them in your CD player. As for the rest of us, we'll be at the 2005 concerts headbanging to the best authentic rock songs since 1993.

LOL

Originally posted by Hawk269 You are all certainly entitled to your opinions of U2's foray into aggressive rock, but I'm entitled to my opinion of your criticisms, which I believe stem from your bias against anything that is not the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby.

Wrong, yet again.

Originally posted by Hawk269 Is U2 reduced to a silly competition among their albums? Of course not. Comparing different eras is like comparing Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain - different positions, different eras. I look at things for their inherent value, not so I can hold it up side-by-side with something else and say oops, I like the old sh*t better, so this sucks.

So if you cynics want to rip this album even before you hear it, go ahead. Just remember that I'll be here waiting to rip you.

And I'll be here to remind you what I've stated throughout this thread.

I support your contrarian, doom prophesying statements and analysis nocontrol... I miss your kind of posts at interference.com. Thats what's great about a new album release. Guys and gals like you come around provide some interesting debate & point of view.

As for U2's ticket prices last tour.... lame but fair market value I guess... I paid for $45 nose bleeds I think, but it was all good. Or was it $80?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom