I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't have anything more to prove to me. Virtigo is the best thing I've heard on the radio in a long time. I'll buy the album and I'll go to the show.

Enjoy it while you can, life is short.

U2 peaked MUSICALLY during the Joshua Tree. Everything was downhill from there.

U2 went into experimentation mode beginning Achtung Baby, then they perfected experimental music with Zooropa. Thinking they could take it further, they did Passengers and POP - but those two were actually regressions of the experimental mode.

So U2 ditched the experimental mode since they realized that they could no longer push anything more experimentally after two experimental failures.

So they went back to where Rattle and Hum left off, and did ATYCLB. But ATYCLB and R&H couldn't hold a candle to the Joshua Tree because JT was their musical peak, their "prime" so to speak.

When U2's career is said and done, ATYCLB will be remembered as the "actual" follow-up to R&H and the Joshua Tree era. Achtung up to POP will merely be a footnote that represents an experimental diversion in U2's career.

Most of U2's career isn't based on experimentation. U2 were never reputed to be making unsafe music. Just because they made a brief foray into experimentation for a few years in their career doesn't make it the norm for U2.

The norm for U2 is that they are a pop/rock band who makes music that will compete against the other cd's in the pop/rock shelves of the music store and get played on the radio. U2 aren't here to compete with indie label artists or underground cult music.

Vertigo is nothing experimental. It is just U2 being U2. When you be yourself, you just let be --- you don't experiment. U2 weren't themselves for a brief eclipse in their careers. But it's nothing but a mere blip in the radar.

Cheers,

J

I agree with part of Jicks post...

vertigo is u2 being u2, and if theres something wrong with that, then, well,sucks for you to feel that way. i dont. and i love vertigo.

Re: Re: I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

Originally posted by u2ulysses There have been plenty of bands/artists that fail to change their sound enough. One of my favorite bands, INXS, sadly was one of them. Before Hutchence's tragic passing, INXS's last album sounded just like earlier albums. And those earlier albums sounded just like even earlier albums. In other words, it's as if I was listening to one song, with just slight changes in lyrics and tempo. All the songs blended together. In contrast, I can never say that about U2.

You obviously haven't been listening to INXS and are referring to another band. None of INXS' albums sound the same, unless you're tone def. Elegantly Wasted has completely different production and hence has a heavier sound. How can you possibly say that Welcome To Wherever You Are sounds like Full Moon, Dity Hearts or Kick, let alone Shabooh Shoobah or Listen like Thieves? LOL

Originally posted by u2ulysses So while ATYCLB may have been "safe", after a decade of experimentation, I think U2 had every right to tone things down and drop the charade. They wanted to sound like U2. Nothing wrong with that.

It was a "safe" album. And you know what? I knew exactly what Vertigo was going to sound like when I heard it.

And my answer to the fans who say I haven't heard the whole album is that, with each release the first single always dictates how the overall texture of the album is going to sound. The Fly with AB, Discotheque with Pop, Numb with Zooropa, etc.

And to the one who commented on U2's experimental era only being a blip on the radar: that era was nearly 10 years and a major part of U2's music and career.

Also, there are plenty of artists who are unique and innovative continually. Frank Zappa, David Bowie and Rush are some of my favourites that most come to mind.

Coming from a musician's point of view, Vertigo is not progressive, not innovative, not unique in the least. It's basic guitar, bass, vocal and drums. U2's is playing it safe and has ever since 2000.

Yes Jick, you're right: Achtung Baby will be regarded as merely a "footnote" to U2's career.

Seriously, you're joking, right? Such a kidder!

Re: Re: I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

rivergoat said:

To say that U2 have peaked musically because they haven't kept making the same noise they made over a decade ago is just ludicrous. They just kept moving down the highway while you remained at the same roadside diner eating off the same menu over and over again.

Hmmm.. food...

goat

Couldn't agree more!! U2 is special because they change. We'll never hear another Achtung Baby or a Joshua Tree again. We'll hear HTDAAB and years from now, I believe we'll be refferring to this as a classic U2 album.

Re: Re: Re: I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

Originally posted by river
To say that U2 have peaked musically because they haven't kept making the same noise they made over a decade ago is just ludicrous. They just kept moving down the highway while you remained at the same roadside diner eating off the same menu over and over again.

Hmmm.. food...

goat

The sound of AYCLB and Vertigo are not different, they're retrogressive and consist of basic drums, guitar, bass and vocals. Comparitively, Pop, Zooropa and Achtung Baby do not sound the same, unless you're tone def. They're consistently progressive.

Sure, I'll be waiting at the side of the road for U2's return, while U2's gas tank is running on empty and there's no gas station for miles.

Last edited:
I like the sound of vocals, guitar, bass, drums, or what is termed as a retrogressive sound... rock tends to be like that (especially a 4 piece band/ power trio sound) ... I want innovative/ experimental/ different sound but not some kind of Bjorkian mind-f**k for a U2 album, and IMO I always feel thats what the "experimental" U2 fans want...

Also IMO the first single that U2 releases is in IMO not always indicative of what the album sounds like... Discotheque, Beautiful Day, and maybe Numb... Sure they may indicate influences but nothing else... Vertigo indicates a relatively "stripped down" album... But we have no idea if its gonna be rockin (b/c Bono is such a liar) or if its more meditative/ peaceful.

Of course, if people were expecting something outside of the genre of rock/ punk for this album then they need to buy another copy of Zooropa or Passengers b/c the band has indicated it would be a rock album.

If one was expecting prog rock... you're following the wrong band... Godspeed You Black Emperor! released an album 2 years ago, people should try that one out... maybe re-listen to Rush or Dream Theater...

Last edited:
U2FAN4LIFE said:
Something else... have U2 really been that progressive? Just think about everything that was around before every new U2 era and then ask yourself if U2 has followed trends or created them?

I agree. If I want to hear progressive or challenging music I don't listen to U2.

I know that different people may define "innovation" differently, but personally I feel that the words like "innovative" or "progressive" are thrown around all too generously - IMO genuine innovations don't happen all that often. I certainly wouldn't use it just because a formerly guitar-based band starts to play around with dance or techno elements and samples; nevermind that a whole slew of bands did it all before and sometimes much more successfully.

Please, no prog-rock....I'm sick of muso dullards: "I'm a musician I know what I'm talking about!" whoopee fuckin' doo... :)

(As for Achtung Baby being considered a footnote...hmm considering that its a famous, mega-selling album and the tour is equally famous, and both saw one of RnR's great re-inventions I do not think it will ever be seen as a footnote!)

In theory I love the idea of U2 continuing to experiment, but what do they have left to try that they haven't done already? I'm willing to cut them a little slack - especially since we've only heard one complete song off the new album so far. I realize HTDAAB isn't going to be an Achtung Baby-like 180-degree turnaround from everything they've done before, but who knows, they might still have a few tricks up their sleeve.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Please, no prog-rock....I'm sick of muso dullards: "I'm a musician I know what I'm talking about!" whoopee fuckin' doo... :)

Who said anything about prog-rock? And being a musician I can give some insight that non-musicians wouldn't be able to give.

I know it's just my opinion but it's quite obvious that they're now only into music exclusively for the money....

Bono stated on MuchMusic on the floor of the Toyko Dome after the last show of the Zoo TV tour that, "White rock music has never been so dull, it's actually retrogressive. And sure, we might do it again, just plug in bass, drums & guitar. But it is in a way, your parent's music. White rock music at the moment is the folk music of the '90s."

So you're saying your opinion is more informed and valid because you are also a musician? Rubbish. Theres plenty of dumb people in bands and plenty of non-musicians who are more aware of what makes great music than certain musicians..so don't think cause you can play it means you know more about what makes a song great! :) (you might know a lot about chord progressions etc but that does not mean you are more informed about what makes a great song..)

NoControl said:
Bono stated on MuchMusic on the floor of the Toyko Dome after the last show of the Zoo TV tour that, "White rock music has never been so dull, it's actually retrogressive. And sure, we might do it again, just plug in bass, drums & guitar. But it is in a way, your parent's music. White rock music at the moment is the folk music of the '90s."

Sure, that's how he felt then. Nowadays he praises groups like White Stripes. And back in the early 80s he'd probably recoil in horror at the thought of doing something like ZooTV. Words and opinions are not something set in stone for ever and ever.

Last edited:
Saracene said:
Sure, that's how he felt then. Nowadays he praises groups like White Stripes. And back in the early 80s he'd probably recoil in horror at the thought of doing something like ZooTV. Words and opinions are not something set in stone for ever and ever. [/B]

U2 always have stated apart from the past 5 years that they wanted to make challenging music that was unique.

I'm sorry you need constant experimentation, and can't simply enjoy a straight forward song. You could always give Passengers another spin. I can't stand musicians (and I am one) because of their constant critique of EVERYTHING on a record or at a show. It's almost as if they can't actually enjoy music anymore, cause they think about it too much.

MrBrau1 said:
I'm sorry you need constant experimentation, and can't simply enjoy a straight forward song. You could always give Passengers another spin. I can't stand musicians (and I am one) because of their constant critique of EVERYTHING on a record or at a show. It's almost as if they can't actually enjoy music anymore, cause they think about it too much.

Yeah its that kind of muso mindset I cannot stand, instead of feeling the music, they tend to over-analyse it, treating it like a formula.

MrBrau1 said:

Creating your own unique path making music is for the vast majority of the time with the artists I listen to is making great music IMO. Retrogressing is not. But they'll make a shitoad of money and that's what it's all about. When you think about it, they're really not that much different anymore from Britney, Christina or Madonna in that respect.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

NoControl said:

And my answer to the fans who say I haven't heard the whole album is that, with each release the first single always dictates how the overall texture of the album is going to sound. The Fly with AB, Discotheque with Pop, Numb with Zooropa, etc.

So you're telling me when you listened to the Fly you knew you were getting 'One' or 'So Cruel', when listening to 'Numb' you knew you were getting 'Stay' or 'Wanderer', 'Discoteque' and you knew you were getting 'Mofo' or 'WUDM' and 'Beautiful Day' you knew you were getting 'IALW'?...give me a break!

NoControl said:

Also, there are plenty of artists who are unique and innovative continually. Frank Zappa, David Bowie and Rush are some of my favourites that most come to mind.

David Bowie as much as I love him has followed trends more than anyone, the eighties brought us a post-disco dance Bowie which was new to him but no one else. The 90's he dove into an industrial stint with friend Reznor, once again new to him but no one else. There were times when he set trends and times when he followed...doesn't exactly make him innovative.

Rush?! Good musicians, but have been making the same damn music ever since 1984, and the quality has dimensioned actually since Presto. Nothing has been innovative about them in decades.

Zappa, can't say....

Re: Re: Re: Re: I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
So you're telling me when you listened to the Fly you knew you were getting 'One' or 'So Cruel', when listening to 'Numb' you knew you were getting 'Stay' or 'Wanderer', 'Discoteque' and you knew you were getting 'Mofo' or 'WUDM' and 'Beautiful Day' you knew you were getting 'IALW'?...give me a break!

I'm not saying each individual song, I'm saying the overall texture and characteristic of the album.

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar David Bowie as much as I love him has followed trends more than anyone, the eighties brought us a post-disco dance Bowie which was new to him but no one else. The 90's he dove into an industrial stint with friend Reznor, once again new to him but no one else. There were times when he set trends and times when he followed...doesn't exactly make him innovative.

Wrong. The only time Bowie was trendy was in the mid-80s. And I'm gald he had the balls to admit that that era of his career wasn't creative at all. U2 don't have the balls to do so.

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar Rush?! Good musicians, but have been making the same damn music ever since 1984, and the quality has dimensioned actually since Presto. Nothing has been innovative about them in decades.

You couldn't be more wrong. Every Rush album is consistently different and very unique.

NoControl said:

Creating your own unique path making music is for the vast majority of the time with the artists I listen to is making great music IMO. Retrogressing is not. But they'll make a shitoad of money and that's what it's all about. When you think about it, they're really not that much different anymore from Britney, Christina or Madonna in that respect.

I think you just prooved my point about musicians.
Name dropping Zappa and Rush helps as well(and I LOVE Rush)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

NoControl said:
You couldn't be more wrong. Every Rush album is consistently different and very unique.

HA! Now you're just being funny.

NoControl said:

What you do mean by that?

The over analysis: Anything that isn't "progressive" = Cash Cow. You're talking more about motive here than music. According to Bono, Larry leaned into him anter finishign sessions on the Pop album and said "how about we make an actual pop record next time."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

NoControl said:

No, actually you are. I know Rush's music like the back of my hand.

Good for you. I love Rush as well. The Pass is one of the best songs I've ever heard. I don't know how "groundbreaking" it is, but it's still great. Do you get mad when Rush play "Spirit Of Radio" in concert? Are they just cashing in?

Off Topic- What's up the the cover of the Rio live DVD?

Originally posted by MrBrau1 The over analysis: Anything that isn't "progressive" = Cash Cow.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

Originally posted by MrBrau1 You're talking more about motive here than music. According to Bono, Larry leaned into him anter finishign sessions on the Pop album and said "how about we make an actual pop record next time."

Exactly on both points. And that's typical of Larry because he doesn't know how to use that particular side of his brain.

NoControl said:

Exactly on both points. And that's typical of Larry because he doesn't know how to use that particular side of his brain.

No, you're saying ATYCLB was motivated by the "failure" of Pop and Popmart. I'm saying it was motivated by the band's desire to make an pop record. The Larry quote came before the "failure" of Pop, so the motives are genuine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom