I Feel Like I'm Going Crazy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
I have an incredibly important question to ask the members of Interference regarding the intro to Vertigo.

Every quote I have ever seen on this board is quoted saying "turn it up loud, Captain". How do you get "loud" when listening to that? I have always heard "turn it up there, Captain". I further will state that I KNOW it says "there"! It always has said "there"! And unless we get a "New Mix" version 10 or 20 years from now, it always will say "there"!

I feel like I am losing my mind since it is ALWAYS quoted wrong and no one has ever even (as far as I know) suggested the real and OBVIOUS words!!!

People! Please listen again, for perhaps the first time! He says "there" as plain as day. It's almost more of a "thar" like a pirate would say. Like "thar she blows". It just makes way more sense than "turn it up loud, Captain"! Just listen to the inflection in his voice!

I CANNOT BE THE ONLY ONE HEARING THIS!!!!!

(also, if the majority agrees with me, can we ban people from saying "turn it up loud, Captain"
? Something must be done about this!)

yes I agree with you, though I think the official printed lyrics are "loud," hence people saying that. it's what Bono was supposed to say. Kinda like how the printed lyrics say something about chess or clowns or some shit in the bridge, but we all know he's just making sounds with no lexical semantic intended.

I also agree with the subject line, though it's got little to do with U2 or the lyrics of Vertigo. Though pirates are somewhat involved. Somewhat. Vaguely.

yep.

...every quote ever huh?

Hoodlem said:
(also, if the majority agrees with me, can we ban people from saying "turn it up loud, Captain"

Can we ban future pressings from including the line, regardless of whether it's 'loud' or 'there'?

Re: Re: I Feel Like I'm Going Crazy!

Axver said:

Can we ban future pressings from including the line, regardless of whether it's 'loud' or 'there'?

I wish.

I haven't listened to album Vertigo in aaaaages (because, let's face it, it sucks compared to the worst live version), but it always sounded like Turn it up now, Captain.

I also have no fucking idea how what i heard is anything like this

Check mated
Oh yeah
Hours of fun…

How about

Checkmated
Jus' for
You maninininin it

isn't that Edge saying turn it up though? i'm listening now, it sounds like him

Even my mom is checking this out! :lol:

I really don't know. I mean it could be either.

Now she says she thinks that it's Edge....no.....she thinks it's Bono because it makes logical sense that he would be telling Edge to turn up the volume on the guitar for this one.

Ahhhh! I AM gonna go crazy! :crazy:

It's most definitely Turn it up, THERE Captain. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.

It's also
Checkmated
Shazbot
Show me yeah

Anyone else who says otherwise is fooling themselves.

Yeah.... bonoglese...someone here has a BFA in Bonoglese, we should probably ask them.

hm, I hear loud tho...

the other part I hear, sure day eh, just/shots fall, show me in it yea...

:shrug: but I guess everybody hears a different thing since it's bongolese and I am fairly sure even Bono himself won't know what the hell he sang there...

I vote for loud - always heard it that way. But I'm glad that we've straightened out that bridge foolishness.

Bonogirl777 said:

Now she says she thinks that it's Edge....no.....she thinks it's Bono because it makes logical sense that he would be telling Edge to turn up the volume on the guitar for this one.

That would make sense, and that is indeed not Edge.

zuropa_fit said:
It's most definitely Turn it up, THERE Captain. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.

It's also
Checkmated
Shazbot
Show me yeah

Anyone else who says otherwise is fooling themselves.

Yeah.... bonoglese...someone here has a BFA in Bonoglese, we should probably ask them.

:drool: That's what I hear as well...

I always thought it was "Turn it up, my Captain" He just sounds like he says "my" with his accent so it kinda comes out mah. Almost sounds British. I have no idea though.

Hoodlem said:
I CANNOT BE THE ONLY ONE HEARING THIS!!!!!

Probably not. But you still are hearing it wrong. It is "loud".
:p

:yes: Sure!
But, only after all those who say it's not loud are banned first.

Bannings... :drool:

SICY!!!!!!
:scream:

It's been too long! :sad:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Well, WalkOn21 doesn't post here anymore, but he thought it was "turn it up, eh captian"

http://forum.interference.com/t157661.html

He also thought that Running To Stand Still was Running To Standstill. :shrug:

I'm at work and will have to listen to the track again when I get home... I never really heard "loud," though I don't think I ever filled in a proper word in its place.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom