I faced my fears - I went and bought Achtung Baby. Here's the review.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Okay, now I have been getting worked about Achtung Baby for the past three or four days, because Bono said it was the sound of four men tearing down the Joshua Tree. Also, I had high expectations because it seems everyone everywhere likes it. But today I got it, and here is the review.

Zoo Station
I put it on in CD player in the car on the way home from the shop, and immediately noticed Zoo Station. I have about three or four Aussie Rules Footy videos at home, and this song, or the intro, plays at the start. So I was like, 'cool, I didn't know this was by U2'. I was thrown off a bit by the first verse, I didn't like the distorted sound at first, but I got into it.
3/5

Even Better Than The Real Thing
Quite a good song. One of the rockier songs I've heard by U2. I don't think it's that great personally, but I still liked it.
3.5/5

One
Contrary to most other people's views on this forum, I don't think this song is that great. It gets better as it goes along. the lyrics are obviously quite deep and emotional.
3/5

Until The End Of The World
I did some research, and discovered that this is this forum's favourite song off of Achtung Baby by looking at the Worst song Survivor. I would disagree, but I think its the best of the first four songs. The third verse is the best.
3.5/5

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Immediately my favourite song off the album. The chorus is absolutely to die for. It's probably the most traditional song off this album. The intro is terrible, though.
4.5/5

So Cruel
According to Worst song survivor the second worst song on the album. I didn't like it a great deal either. It reminds me of Alex Lloyd's Amazing quite a bit. The chorus is nice.
2.5/5

The Fly
The song, itself isn't great but Edge's guitar solo...:drool:. This was my first listen and I thought that solo was terrific. The chorus is also pretty good, but it's the solo that is the best part.
3/5

Mysterious Ways
I really like the chorus. It's really catchy. It's actually quite a good song. I can see why it was released as a single.
3.5/5

Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
According to this very forum, the WORST song off Achtung Baby. I disagree wholeheartedly. I thought this song was actually pretty good. I think I would have voted for it a few times.
3/5

Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
Another one I really liked. Has a good rythym, and flows really well. I like the guitar. Currently my second favourite song.
4/5

Acrobat
This was pretty good. I really enjoyed it, especially the 'I know your time is coming round, don't let the bastards grind you down' part. :up: Good song! Would kick ass live.
3.5/5

Love Is Blindness
Obviously the dakest song on the album, and I think it's a good way to finish the album. It's a good song, but probably sounds better in headphones.
3/5

Overall - The first thing I want to stress is that this was my first listen to the album, so things are going to change. You guys have known it for 14 years, and I hadn't heard any of the songs before today. But it is quite good. I kept the reciept in case I wanted to take it back, but I will rip up that reciept.

So - the final verdict - :up: or :down:?

:up:

It's gonna take me a few listens to get into, but I think it definitely has potential.

If I reviewed any album after just a few listens, I probably wouldn't be able to be fair to it, either way.

I predict those ratings will skyrocket in the near future.

If not, then you might as well not buy another U2 album.

One only 3/5, that goes against everything I stand for, I just can't believe it.
Until the End of the world 3.5/5 again can't believe it
The Fly 3/5 this is so wrong, these are the three greatest songs on this album.

btw

Zoo Station 4
Even Better Than The Real Thing 4
One 4
Until the end of the world 5
Wild Horses 3,5
So Cruel 3
The Fly 5
Mysterious Ways 4
Arms Around the world 4
Ultraviolet 4,5
Acrobat 4
Love is Blindness 3,5

Keep listening. Pretty soon you'll be giving all those songs a 5/5, which is what they all deserve. :yes:

miss becky said:
Keep listening. Pretty soon you'll be giving all those songs a 5/5, which is what they all deserve. :yes:

His review reminds me of the first time I heard HTDAAB, i liked few songs then it grew, and I now see it as a great album, only two U2 albums I have ever loved at first listen Joshua Tree and ATUCLB so keep listening. And if you don't start loving One, I will go crazy. Next you will say you don't like Streets or Bad.

COBL......just wondering why you're just getting to this album now? Is it your age? How long have you liked the band?

it took be about 10-20 forced listenings by my brother in the car before i liked this album and before i liked u2-- i think the catalyst for it all though was when i heard electrical storm for the first time, then i really liked u2

It took me about a month of listening to love the Fly..first time i heardit i couldn't make sense of it because i thought it sounded just like a lot of noise...you sorta have to dig for the melody in the verses.....anyway enjoy your continued listening:wink:

WalkOnTheEdge said:
COBL......just wondering why you're just getting to this album now? Is it your age? How long have you liked the band?

He was one when it came out.:wink:

I think it's cool the band is still winning over new fans who have no clue of their past and may not even like their past...

Achtung Baby - 5/5

just thought I'd make my feelings clear on this matter.

WalkOn21 said:

I'm sorry to say I disagree. "One" and "So Cruel" aren't 5/5 worthy. Those are good songs, don't misunderstand me, but certainly not the best.

^one deserves a 5.

COBL I know all of your ratings will go up as you listen. I predict this album will stay in your player for a long time. Glad you went and bought it. I have 2 copies myself :reject: and wouldn't think of parting with them.

Zoo Station 5
EBTTRT 5
One 5
UTEOTW 5
Wild Horses 5
So Cruel 5
The Fly 5
Mysterious Ways 5
TTTYAATW 5
Ultra Violet 6 :drool:
Acrobat 5
Love Is Blindness 5

Basically what I'm saying is, it's perfect.

Re: Re: I faced my fears - I went and bought Achtung Baby. Here's the review.

bcrt2000 said:
it took be about 10-20 forced listenings by my brother in the car before i liked this album and before i liked u2-- i think the catalyst for it all though was when i heard electrical storm for the first time, then i really liked u2

It took me 3 times to hear Sunday Bloody Sunday and 10 pics of Bono to make me like U2:wink:

Achtung Baby became my favourite album even BEFORE I bought it! It`s just great!:drool:

it will grow on you for sure.

when i first got it, for some reason, i rated all the songs on the little album booklet. no clue why. but after about a month i looked at them and was amazed at how much more i liked the songs than when i'd first got it.

also, i think you need to hear the live versions of many of those songs (particularly mysterious ways, the fly, and love is blindness) before you can fully appreciate their awesomeness. :up:

How long have you've been a U2 fan that you didn't own AB and had fears over it? I'm just very confused.

You will change your vote on a lot of those songs after you heard them so often. Just a little note it was the song One that kept this band together during this album. They were having a very difficult time writing the album. It was also written around the time Edge was getting divorced from his first wife. Now go and listen to One and So Cruel again.

WalkOn21 said:

I'm sorry to say I disagree. "One" and "So Cruel" aren't 5/5 worthy. Those are good songs, don't misunderstand me, but certainly not the best.
So Cruel is great, the vocals and lyrics are awesome :drool:

youtwohearts said:
How long have you've been a U2 fan that you didn't own AB and had fears over it? I'm just very confused.

You will change your vote on a lot of those songs after you heard them so often. Just a little note it was the song One that kept this band together during this album. They were having a very difficult time writing the album. It was also written around the time Edge was getting divorced from his first wife. Now go and listen to One and So Cruel again.

Maybe One is more meaningful in some context. If you've ever been in a difficult relationship this song speaks to you:up:

Who's Gonna Ride as your favorite song on the album?:huh: '

I mean, it's not bad, but there are better songs on the album for sure. I do agree that it's definately going to grow on you, but I'm not sure about all the songs being 5's. My rankings would probably looks something like this:

Zoo Station 4
Even Better Than The Real Thing 4
One 4 (maybe 4.5)
Until the End of the World 5
Who's Gonna Ride... 3
So Cruel 3 (fantastic lyrics, though)
The Fly 5
Mysterious Ways 4
Trying to Throw... 2
Ultraviolet 4.5
Acrobat 4.5
Love is Blindness 3.5