I faced my fears - I went and bought Achtung Baby. Here's the review.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
COBL_04 said:

I can't love a song based on its lyrics.

I love everything about "so Cruel", I just feel the lyrics are the strongest part. I see what you're saying though, definetly.

well i cant blame COBL_04 for not falling in love with AB and giving it 5/5!

lets look at the persons name COBL_04

thats C O B L !

i rest my case!! lol!:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

He was one when it came out.:wink:

I think it's cool the band is still winning over new fans who have no clue of their past and may not even like their past...

wow, i feel so old right now... although, i was his age when AB came out- it's the album that made me a U2 fan. so, when i was his age i went out and bought "boy' and "october"... i probably had a similar reaction at the time.

in my book, Achtung Baby = Best Rock Album Ever. :up:

I've had it for three and a half years. Third one I got after War and The Joshua Tree, and the first I could really get into.

Ratings:

Zoo Station: 5/5
Even Better than the Real Thing: 3.5/5
One: 4.5+/5 (it's just not Sunday Bloody Sunday level)
Until the End of the World: 4.5/5
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses: 2/5
So Cruel: 4/5
The Fly: 5/5
Mysterious Ways: 4/5 (completely overplayed)
Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World: 2.5/5
Ultraviolet: 4/5
Acrobat: 5/5
Love is Blindness: 5/5

The good songs make the average songs much better. I can't say I don't like "Wild Horses" or "Around the World," but I wouldnt like them much at all if they were on a weaker album.

Album as a whole: 4.5+/5, as good as anything U2 has done.

COBL_04 said:
Like BonoVoxSupastar picked up on, I was ONE YEAR OLD when Achtung Baby came out. I decided I liked U2 when I first heard Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment on Rage a few years back. I did not know that U2 had been around since the start of the 80's. I think I was 11 at the time. In November or December last year, Vertigo was released and I bought HTDAAB. I loved it. I reviewed it on metacritic.com, and that was when I discovered that U2 had been around for ages. Then I bought ATYCLB and got even more into U2. I became a member of this forum, bought the 80/90 best of and I was hooked. Then I started a thread called 'the next one'. I wanted to ask people on this forum's opinion of what album I should get next. They all said AB, and I bought it YESTERDAY. I BOUGHT IT YESTERDAY. NOT FOURTEEN YEARS AGO, YESTERDAY

Ooh fun, I did the same thing about 5 years ago. It'll be fun, a musical journey. (you'll understand that joke soon enough ;) )

I started getting into U2 when I was 18, in late 2000. There was this actor that I liked, and I read in an interview from 1998, that he was a fan of U2. I kinda vaguely knew there was a band called U2, but I didn't actually start to get into them, until I heard their song "Beautiful Day" in 2000. I liked the song for awhile but I didn't know it was U2 until I finally saw their video and the end credits displayed the name of band/etc.

I really liked their song "Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me," when it came out, goodness, almost 10 years ago, but sadly, didn't get into them then.

My first year of becoming a U2 fan, was with a completely blank slate towards U2.

I got the best of 1980-90 first, then War, October, Joshua Tree, ATYCLB, then I got the rest their albums in a very short amount of time after, half at one time, the other half at another.

(years of saved birthday money came in handy).

I wasn't into message boards until late 2001, when I already had all their studio albums. Though I was into browsing websites, learned alot about the band that first year with atu2.com's site. (didn't find out about interference till later).

"Achtung Baby" was recommended to me by someone I chatted with in a chatroom, but it was just, "great album, check it out."

I got to completely judge all of U2's albums, until "Atomic Bomb" with hardly any outside input.

That's what a lot of newbies nowadays don't have. Getting to listen and decide how they feel about U2 without any outside opinion.

"War" still remains my favorite/#1 album.

Last edited:
Lil'Bono said:
COBL, I agree with you, i dont think one is great either, in fact i think its crap!!

:ohmy:

I know music is subjective, but you really have to wonder sometimes.

Zoo Station - 5/5
Even Better Than The Real Thing - 3.5/5
One - 4.5/5
Until The End Of The World - 5/5
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - 3/5
So Cruel - 3/5
The Fly - 5/5
Mysterious Ways - 4/5
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - 2/5
Ultra Violet - 4/5
Acrobat - 5/5
Love Is Blindness - 5/5

thrillme said:

Ooh fun, I did the same thing about 5 years ago. It'll be fun, a musical journey. (you'll understand that joke soon enough ;) )

I started getting into U2 when I was 18, in late 2000. There was this actor that I liked, and I read in an interview from 1998, that he was a fan of U2. I kinda vaguely knew there was a band called U2, but I didn't actually start to get into them, until I heard their song "Beautiful Day" in 2000. I liked the song for awhile but I didn't know it was U2 until I finally saw their video and the end credits displayed the name of band/etc.

I really liked their song "Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me," when it came out, goodness, almost 10 years ago, but sadly, didn't get into them then.

My first year of becoming a U2 fan, was with a completely blank slate towards U2.

I got the best of 1980-90 first, then War, October, Joshua Tree, ATYCLB, then I got the rest their albums in a very short amount of time after, half at one time, the other half at another.

(years of saved birthday money came in handy).

I wasn't into message boards until late 2001, when I already had all their studio albums. Though I was into browsing websites, learned alot about the band that first year with atu2.com's site. (didn't find out about interference till later).

"Achtung Baby" was recommended to me by someone I chatted with in a chatroom, but it was just, "great album, check it out."

I got to completely judge all of U2's albums, until "Atomic Bomb" with hardly any outside input.

That's what a lot of newbies nowadays don't have. Getting to listen and decide how they feel about U2 without any outside opinion.

"War" still remains my favorite/#1 album.

Wow, sans a few album selections, that is exactly the way i got into u2. strange.

shaun vox said:
well i cant blame COBL_04 for not falling in love with AB and giving it 5/5!

lets look at the persons name COBL_04

thats C O B L !

i rest my case!! lol!:wink:

I'm gonna look really stupid here but...I don't understand what you meany shuan vox...:reject:

Okay, so I'm not alone in my thoughts that One isn't the greatest song ever made. Can I ask though do you think The Fly is a 5/5? There would be over 50% of people in the album/top 5 songs thread that have The Fly in there. I really like The Fly, but (at the moment) don't give it 5/5.

*Not meant to be an aggresive comment like some of my last ones*

Back
Top Bottom