I faced my fears - I went and bought Achtung Baby. Here's the review.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoo Station 5
Even Better Than The Real Thing 5
One 5
Until the End of the World 5
Who's Gonna Ride your wild horses 5
So Cruel 5
The Fly 5
Mysterious Ways 5
Trying to Throw... 5
Ultraviolet 5
Acrobat 5
Love is Blindness 5

_zoo.gif

COBL_04 said:
The Fly
The song, itself isn't great but Edge's guitar solo...:drool:. This was my first listen and I thought that solo was terrific. The chorus is also pretty good, but it's the solo that is the best part.
3/5

It's gonna take me a few listens to get into, but I think it definitely has potential. [/B]

Oh dear, The Fly not that great.....you have a lot of listening to do!:wink:

i'll be honest...the fly is my second favorite from AB and possibly my second favorite U2 song, but in the beginning i had the most difficult time getting into this song. i would skip it to listen to mysterious ways. i donno, back then, something about the intro part didn't appeal to me. then, somehow, i have no idea how, i started to appreciate the fly, and now i absolutely love this song.

To the original poster...

If you give this album the time and "attention" (achtung!) it deserves, it will reveal itseld as a masterpiece of classic proportions.

I am a little jelouse. I wish I could go back and listen to it for the first tima again. Those great feelings of not quite being sure what to think of it all. And then slowly, one by one, each song reveals itself to you in ways you never imagined possible. It literally changed my life.

I suggest headphones and reading along in the liner notes. The artwork of that album is just as much a part of the experience in my mind. Anyway, happy listenning.

It tok me ages to get into Achtung Baby. I love every single song apart from "Even better than the real thing" which is OK but not great. There is no way your ratings will stay the same. Wild horses is a great song (No "One" might I add) but I think the intro is amazing (especially in concert Glasgow 21/06.2005:wave: ). Like alot of U2's stuff it isn't something most people will instantly think is brilliant but after a while you will realise how amazing it is.

"So Cruel" has some truly great lyrics. "We're cut adrift but still floating..I'm only hangin on to watch you go down, my love." and "her heart is racing, you con't keep up...the night is bleeding like a cut...between the horses of love and lust we are trampled...underfoot." Pure genius.

A truly amazing album that gets better every time you listen to it. The Fly and Ultraviolet are the best tracks on the album, and no real weak links.

Also, zooTV Sydney is a must buy video, seeing the live performances really adds to the album. In particular UTEOTW, Mysterious Ways and EBTTRT blew me away the first time I saw them on this video. I think it will boost your ratings of the songs immediately.

I bet after two more listens the fly, one, until the end of the world, ultraviolet (Light my Way), and mysterious ways will become 5/5

oddly enough, 'Mysterious Ways' is an amazing track, but after I while I just ended up NOT liking it...! The only one I like is Dublin 93. Much better, and that guitar solo makes me shiver :D

Until the End of the World is on this album. What else needs to be said?

Without a doubt, one of their top two albums.

MattFromNYC said:
WHATEVER YOU DO... DON'T THROW IT IN THE TRASH LIKE FORUM MEMBER "WALKONTHEEDGE". (sorry..)

Like I mentioned in the first post, I tore up the recipt...meaning I can never return it. So you don't have to worry about that. I like the album, and one of my favourite lyrics is - 'So don't let the bastards grind you down'.

Thanks everyone for your replies. However, please remember that I have only had this album for just over 12 hours. I cannot love an album more in that short period of time than someone who has had the album FOR FOURTEEN YEARS. Please remember this little fact. It seems that it took most people here a fair few listens to get into, and it will be the same for me. Don't just immediately say,

Irishteen said:
One only 3/5, that goes against everything I stand for, I just can't believe it.
Until the End of the world 3.5/5 again can't believe it
The Fly 3/5 this is so wrong, these are the three greatest songs on this album.

I'VE ONLY OWNED IT FOR JUST OVER 12 HOURS.

To those who were upset at my rankings for One - I wrote that ranking on my first listen. After my first listen to any song ever not once have I said 'Oh my god. Those lyrics speak volumes to me. What a masterpiece'. I gave it 3/5 based on my FIRST LISTEN. And even If I never think it's an aboslute masterpiece. I don't have to. It's not like If I don't love it as much as you guys that I won't be a proper U2 fan. I think the lyrics to One are very deep and meaningful. It is extremely well written. I respect the lyrics.

WalkOn21 said:
I'm sorry to say I disagree. "One" and "So Cruel" aren't 5/5 worthy. Those are good songs, don't misunderstand me, but certainly not the best.

See, not everyone thinks One is the greatest song ever made.

WalkOnTheEdge said:
COBL......just wondering why you're just getting to this album now? Is it your age? How long have you liked the band?

youtwohearts said:
How long have you've been a U2 fan that you didn't own AB and had fears over it? I'm just very confused.

Like BonoVoxSupastar picked up on, I was ONE YEAR OLD when Achtung Baby came out. I decided I liked U2 when I first heard Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment on Rage a few years back. I did not know that U2 had been around since the start of the 80's. I think I was 11 at the time. In November or December last year, Vertigo was released and I bought HTDAAB. I loved it. I reviewed it on metacritic.com, and that was when I discovered that U2 had been around for ages. Then I bought ATYCLB and got even more into U2. I became a member of this forum, bought the 80/90 best of and I was hooked. Then I started a thread called 'the next one'. I wanted to ask people on this forum's opinion of what album I should get next. They all said AB, and I bought it YESTERDAY. I BOUGHT IT YESTERDAY. NOT FOURTEEN YEARS AGO, YESTERDAY.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think it's cool the band is still winning over new fans who have no clue of their past and may not even like their past...

I have no clue of their past either except for the 80/90 best of.

Rafiennes said:
What exactly were your fears about Achtung Baby?

My fears on buying this album were two things -
The smaller fear - 1) I read in Rolling Stone that Bono said AB was the sound of four men tearing down the Joshua Tree. I fell in love with ISHFWILF, Streets and WOWY and so I thought I would love TJT. I didn't know If I was going to like to sound of AB.

The bigger fear - 2) I felt huge pressure to aboslutely love this album at first listen (I think a few people would have been shocked that someone on the forum had not said that AB was the greatest album U2 ever made). I can't love an album/song that i've only had for less than a day more than all you guys can who have had it for FOURTEEN years. Example -
Irishteen said:
If you don't start loving One, I will go crazy. Next you will say you don't love Streets or Bad.
I DON'T HAVE TO LOVE IT. I'm not the same as everyone else here.

I think I was a happier person before I bought Achtung Baby. Now I feel like I'm out of place on this forum, like I don't have common ground with anyone anymore because everyone loves this CD. I think it's good and it will most definitely grow on me. But maybe I should leave the forum for a few years until I appreciate AB as much as you guys do. I can't relate to anyone if I don't have the same feelings towards AB as you guys do. I think I offended many people with some of my ratings.

Can I just ask though - did everyone here absolutely love AB at first listen? Did they think One was the greatest song ever made at first listen? Did the lyrics from this album speak volumes to you at first listen?
No, I don't think this applies to all of you. Give me the same amount of time to like this album as you guys had.

Who knowns what I'll do? :shrug:

Last edited:
COBL_04 said:

I think I was a happier person before I bought Achtung Baby. Now I feel like I'm out of place on this forum, like I don't have common ground with anyone anymore because everyone loves this CD.

Come on,,, You like U2 so you belong at this forum. You said it yourself, that you only had the album for a short amount of time.

Welcome to the world of the Zoo,, It might take you awhile to love it or maybe you will never love AB. It really dosn´t matter because its your CD collection and you choose what to put on the stereo :up:

Good luck with Achtung baby.

Gaah! Did I really post all that? That sounds extremely offensive and aggresive to me. I apologise for post. I wrote that early this morning before i listened to the CD again. I just listened to the whole thing through for the third time, and I'll tell you now, the ratings have already picked up. UTEOTW, Acrobat and The Fly are the three songs I have really enjoyed today. :up:

I already can sing the whole first verse of Zoo Station :D

Again, sorry to those who might have been offended by my last reply, no one deserved that. I still stand by most of that, but I became quite angry as I wrote that.

I was ONE YEAR OLD when Achtung Baby came out.

hey, cool, me too :D

I think it will definitely grow on ya...I bought Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby on the same day (the day I later realised was the best day of my life :drool: )

anyway, I immediately loved the Joshua Tree and listened to it for several days before I even touched the other. When I did finally listen to Achtung Baby, I didnt like it much. This was all before I discovered interference or even knew U2 were a popular band (lol), so I didn't know I was supposed to worship it, and frankly I didn't. In a year, it's become my favorite album!

even if it doesn't grow on you, that's alright. :wink: everyone's "shocked and apalled" posts are all in good fun...well sort of :ohmy:

:wink:

btw...glad to see you're already liking it more. those 3 are some of the best on the album :up:

im a newbie too! i found U2 in just 2000.. my teacher (amazing person!) played Pride in honor of MLK Jr. in class and my jaw simply dropped. after running home and asking my dad if he knew who U2 was (haha) he produced the best of 1980's and all other bands disappeared for me. every time i read the lyrics of a song or just talk about it, i want to go listen to them again! I saw them in concert in Boston, thanks to my dad again, and am seeing them again Dec 12.. it cant come soon enough!!!

Yeah, COBL, ive been listening to u2 for about 6 years, and Ive never really had a consistent favorite album. Although, Achtung Baby didnt ever reach that spot until under a year ago, and its probably left by now. You're not required to like it, as I HATE HTDAAB :wink: But if you're getting more into it, try to get your hands on the Boston elevation dvd as soon as possible; unworldy versions of UTEOTW and the Fly. dvd is worth it just for these two songs. And if i may make a recommendation for your next U2 album....either unforgettable fire or pop. But beware, pop is even more wicked than Achtung Baby...:macdevil:

COBL_04 said:

Like I mentioned in the first post, I tore up the recipt...meaning I can never return it. So you don't have to worry about that. I like the album, and one of my favourite lyrics is - 'So don't let the bastards grind you down'.

Thanks everyone for your replies. However, please remember that I have only had this album for just over 12 hours. I cannot love an album more in that short period of time than someone who has had the album FOR FOURTEEN YEARS. Please remember this little fact. It seems that it took most people here a fair few listens to get into, and it will be the same for me. Don't just immediately say,

I'VE ONLY OWNED IT FOR JUST OVER 12 HOURS.

To those who were upset at my rankings for One - I wrote that ranking on my first listen. After my first listen to any song ever not once have I said 'Oh my god. Those lyrics speak volumes to me. What a masterpiece'. I gave it 3/5 based on my FIRST LISTEN. And even If I never think it's an aboslute masterpiece. I don't have to. It's not like If I don't love it as much as you guys that I won't be a proper U2 fan. I think the lyrics to One are very deep and meaningful. It is extremely well written. I respect the lyrics.

See, not everyone thinks One is the greatest song ever made.

Like BonoVoxSupastar picked up on, I was ONE YEAR OLD when Achtung Baby came out. I decided I liked U2 when I first heard Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment on Rage a few years back. I did not know that U2 had been around since the start of the 80's. I think I was 11 at the time. In November or December last year, Vertigo was released and I bought HTDAAB. I loved it. I reviewed it on metacritic.com, and that was when I discovered that U2 had been around for ages. Then I bought ATYCLB and got even more into U2. I became a member of this forum, bought the 80/90 best of and I was hooked. Then I started a thread called 'the next one'. I wanted to ask people on this forum's opinion of what album I should get next. They all said AB, and I bought it YESTERDAY. I BOUGHT IT YESTERDAY. NOT FOURTEEN YEARS AGO, YESTERDAY.

I have no clue of their past either except for the 80/90 best of.

My fears on buying this album were two things -
The smaller fear - 1) I read in Rolling Stone that Bono said AB was the sound of four men tearing down the Joshua Tree. I fell in love with ISHFWILF, Streets and WOWY and so I thought I would love TJT. I didn't know If I was going to like to sound of AB.

The bigger fear - 2) I felt huge pressure to aboslutely love this album at first listen (I think a few people would have been shocked that someone on the forum had not said that AB was the greatest album U2 ever made). I can't love an album/song that i've only had for less than a day more than all you guys can who have had it for FOURTEEN years. Example -

I DON'T HAVE TO LOVE IT. I'm not the same as everyone else here.

I think I was a happier person before I bought Achtung Baby. Now I feel like I'm out of place on this forum, like I don't have common ground with anyone anymore because everyone loves this CD. I think it's good and it will most definitely grow on me. But maybe I should leave the forum for a few years until I appreciate AB as much as you guys do. I can't relate to anyone if I don't have the same feelings towards AB as you guys do. I think I offended many people with some of my ratings.

Can I just ask though - did everyone here absolutely love AB at first listen? Did they think One was the greatest song ever made at first listen? Did the lyrics from this album speak volumes to you at first listen?
No, I don't think this applies to all of you. Give me the same amount of time to like this album as you guys had.

Who knowns what I'll do? :shrug:

haha... no hard feelings. my comment about throwing it in the trash was a silly inside joke and it was out of place to put it on your thread. i knew you wouldnt throw it away. sorry about that.

no problem. you are actually better off in a sense geting used to Achtung Baby. because its gonna be one fun helluva road to discovering the other past U2 music. and then go back to Achtung Baby, and it'll all sound different. in a very good way, that is.
i think initially, why some newer fans have some problems with achtung baby, is that many of them arent aware of the "shock" that came with hearing it for the first time after exoeriencing the joshua tree and earlier works... which did seem to make an odd difference. it was all about that 'time period'. i dunno.
same thing for "zooropa". i was thinking about this earlier.. if it would have had the same impact on me if i hadnt ever heard achtung baby before that or been around during that time for all the "hype" of the U2 experiences.

achtung baby.. yeah... it could take a while sometimes, to get into and fully get it. it took me a while to get into "throwing your arms around the world", "Love is blindness"... etc. i dont think my ears were ready yet. i dont know. those songs seemed to take on a whole new thing to me later in the years.

a cool thing about achtung baby, is knowing the whole story and period with the band behind it. it makes it much more cooler.
one fun way to get this, would be to check out the bill flannigan book "U2: at the end of the world".. it pretty much sums up that entire period... and makes that whole album seem SOOO much different after reading it. even after having the album for so long and listening to it for so long... after just reading that book for the first time a few months ago.. looking back at the album gave this whole other perspective and made me like things a lot more and put newer things into my head when listening. I LOVE THAT BOOK!!! anyone who hasnt read it.. must. must must must, lol.

so, dont feel bad. you're being honest, and you arent being any less of a U2 fan for having your preference. think of it as a book and the chapters... and your pathway into truly understanding what achtung baby is about. which, is gonna be a lot of fun.
i actually wish i could go back to those days when i first heard all of these and were in the place you are in now. i love these sort of "passages" and looking back later at them.
Also, on achtung baby... each song.. in order.. is sort of a storyline. all go in a special order and tell the process of this relationship thats taking place.. and its quite weird sometimes.
theres so much more underlining to the album that most people overlook or arent aware of and then when they do, they're like 'holy shit, wow!' . lol.

joshua tree, and achtung baby.. are what i call.. 'perfect' albums. might take a while. seems you and are are backwards of eachother. it took me a while to get into the rest of the joshua tree album (minus with or without you, streets, still havent found, etc...), but you loved that right from the start, lol.

dont worry. feeling like you need to love it right away.. takes away from it and will spoil it. theres no pressure in the enjoyment of music.. and just because you arent mindboggled by it yet.. doesnt mean AT ALL that you are any less of a U2 fan.. or worthy of it.

now, that weirdo ;walkontheedge' guy i was referring to earlier.. who i was referencing to about "throwing cds in the trash".. he just listened a couple of times to Zooropa and just tossed it into the trash without even wanting to try.. or enjoy. lol. thats what that was about.. and i was giving the guy a hard time on the other forum, lol. so, it wasnt directed at you.

enjoy!! and hope your U2 passage is a fun one.. but dont pressure yourself. trying to hard to like it, will just create the opposite.

keep us posted.

Joshua87 said:
Yeah, COBL, ive been listening to u2 for about 6 years, and Ive never really had a consistent favorite album. Although, Achtung Baby didnt ever reach that spot until under a year ago, and its probably left by now. You're not required to like it, as I HATE HTDAAB :wink: But if you're getting more into it, try to get your hands on the Boston elevation dvd as soon as possible; unworldy versions of UTEOTW and the Fly. dvd is worth it just for these two songs. And if i may make a recommendation for your next U2 album....either unforgettable fire or pop. But beware, pop is even more wicked than Achtung Baby...:macdevil:

Oh God... "Pop". lol. Wicked indeed!

Yeah.. Unforgettable Fire.. and then Pop. Then after all of that.. listen to them all in order of release.. and see how crazy of a direction, yet a logical one.. each go in. Its a really cool progression.

MattFromNYC said:

haha... no hard feelings. my comment about throwing it in the trash was a silly inside joke and it was out of place to put it on your thread. i knew you wouldnt throw it away. sorry about that.

dont worry. feeling like you need to love it right away.. takes away from it and will spoil it. theres no pressure in the enjoyment of music.. and just because you arent mindboggled by it yet.. doesnt mean AT ALL that you are any less of a U2 fan.. or worthy of it.

now, that weirdo ;walkontheedge' guy i was referring to earlier.. who i was referencing to about "throwing cds in the trash".. he just listened a couple of times to Zooropa and just tossed it into the trash without even wanting to try.. or enjoy. lol. thats what that was about.. and i was giving the guy a hard time on the other forum, lol. so, it wasnt directed at you.

enjoy!! and hope your U2 passage is a fun one.. but dont pressure yourself. trying to hard to like it, will just create the opposite.

keep us posted.

I knew the trashcan thing wasn't drected at me, but even if I thought AB was trash-can worthy, I can't judge it in a day.

I will try to enjoy it without that pressure, but I think this forum is always going to be in the back of my mind whenever I listen to the CD, which i'll just have to live with.

Does anyone else's favourite song from this album change from day-to-day? Yesterday it was WGRYWH, and today it's Acrobat and UTEOTW.

Don't worry I will keep you posted. I think there are going to be lots more replies when everyone on the other side of the world wakes up and reads what I wrote...:yikes:

Joshua87 said:
But beware, pop is even more wicked than Achtung Baby... :macdevil:

:yikes:

COBL_04.. I just read that you were 1 year old when AB came out. Well i was 15 and i thought Metallica was the greatest band in the world. Actually i only listened to Metal music and only knew U2 from the Pride, WTSHNN and WOWY videos. It was impossible for me to appreciate those songs at that time because it was too "pretty, lovely, catchy" or whatever you wanna call it.
It took a pair of fly shades and Bono in a leather outfit for me to dare look into band. So i bought Achtung baby and i have been holding on to that album like its the Holy Grail ever since. Achtung baby came at the right time for me and maybe thats why i consider it the best U2 album, because its much more than just a collection of great songs. It represents the start of something new for me.

I bet most people have special feelings attached to certain albums. Alot of new fans arrived when ATYCLB came out, so that album will always be something special for them. And the same goes for all U2 albums ofcourse.

Back
Top Bottom