"I don't want Bono winning the Nobel because..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I have no reasons at all... he deserves it if he's nominated for, what, the 3rd time?

If he doesn't, well, next time maybe...

This thread is for everyone that has a reason for not wanting Bono to win this award...

I mean... if we criticize the Setlists so much, we must have something against this too

(just imagine is Chris Martin :p )

no, seriuosly...

why wouldn't anyone be happy for bon winning the nobel prize? I mean you are all U2/bono fans i asume so i don't get the people who say they are not happy with it. Would you rather have bono being arrested for DUI or sued for polling a gun out in a night club or beating someone up?? seems alot of bands/artists these days get in serius trouble so i am DAM proud that Bono might win the nobel prize! not many rock stars can say the same thing. Most are dealing with drug addictions and other legal problems!

I think it's not an absolute importance that bono wins or not the nobel, i mean, it wouldn't change anything except for him personnally. I would be happy for him, but for me everything would remain the same. How many good people haven't got awarded? Lots. We all know and appreciate Bono for what he does, if he gets awarded it's just a personal recognition, the problems for which he "fights" would be still there, so...................in the end, it would regard just a sort of selfish aspect. The question is: How much does a prize fit the real seriousness of a problem?

Last edited:
I don’t think I’m qualified to say who deserves it more (is there anyone here who is?), but I sure know that Bono deserves it and hope he wins the prize.

I honestly don't care one way or another. I'd be happy if he won, but if he didn't get it, that would be all right too. He doesn't need an award to be a wonderful human being in my opinion anyway. :wink:

Of course...it wouldn't CHANGE or HELP the situation in Africa, if Bono wins...it would only be a personal recognition!

Well, I'm in for that...I believe that he deserves it...of course if there's a doc. who has discover a wonderful cure for any disease...he would deserves it first...but why not BONO???

He's trully concern about poor countries and he is making a wonderful work out there...by speaking in the name of millions of lives...so for me he would WIN the award FOR THEM!!!

Not only for him...but in their names...to say: Hey...look WE CAN CHANGE SOMETHING!!!

Though...it's only my opinion...indeed I wish him GOOD LUCK!!!:wink:

Cathxxx

because I'll lose all my credibility in the Nobel prize

c'mon, is a rockstar, there are too many unknown people who deserve win too, and I think, Bono doesn't support Africa to win awards, I really believe he cares

cathou_u2 said:
Well, I'm in for that...I believe that he deserves it...of course if there's a doc. who has discover a wonderful cure for any disease...he would deserves it first...but why not BONO???

You’re right. That doctor deserves to win the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, not the Nobel Peace Prize.

... because I don't want to read 5,635 columns/articles/random comments from people bitching that Bono won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Jack In The Box said:
because I'll lose all my credibility in the Nobel prize

c'mon, is a rockstar, there are too many unknown people who deserve win too, and I think, Bono doesn't support Africa to win awards, I really believe he cares

Which is all the more reason why he SHOULD win it. As such, your comment about the prize losing credibility actually questions how credible you are! Someone who has dedicated 6 years of his life, touring the world, meeting with politicians and important men and women from numerous countries and religions and put his own family and career on hold while he did this work, definitely qualifies for this award. And, it should be mentioned that these past 6 years are just for the Jubilee 2000/DATA/One Campaign program. Bono and U2 have dedicated oceans of time to charities well befor then. But never before has any celebrity used his/her fame so well - really tackling the issues and not being just a figurehead. Because of Bono's efforts 30+ countries are now debt free. I think that's a lot more success than MANY other people who have won the Nobel Prize have done.

But I guess because he's a rock star, it's just not right. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, prize or not, Bono has not only convinced tons of other famous people to lend their names and more importantly, their convictions, to these causes - but he's taught them all HOW to do this. Passion is one thing - knowing the facts and showing true sincerity and more importantly, dedication, is another world.

because if someone like Bono was going to win it... i.e. Rockstar, similar issues, I'd rather see Bob Geldof win it...

Oi, that's Saint Bob Monkey! :shame:
:wink:

I don't think Bono should win the Nobel because, as another poster has said, this would be for his work of the last 6 years.

it should go to someone who has dedicated their LIFE's work to the cause, and not some part time rock star.

To me it's like sportsmen being awarded Australian of the Year. It should go to the unknown, hardworking scientist, physician, doctor, activist....

Anyway Bono winning the peace prize would be a rather unconventional choice in many ways! The nobel peace prize is traditionally awarded to someone who has been directly involved in putting an end to violent conflict or the preemption of conflict. This was the specific focus for the prize that Alfred Nobel wished for. Bono`s work for Africa is of course linked to issues such as peace and stability but in a more indirect and general way. Giving the prize to Bono would be somewhat of a change in the tradition. And given the fact that last years winner, an african enviromentalist, was considered quite untraditional it is likely that there won`t be much experimentation the next few years!

packcrush said:
Kissinger won the Nobel peace Prize. Do we really want Bono associated with him?

yeah, good point!

Now of course that I'm feeling pissy because he didn't get it:down:

some great folks have gotten it of course, but so did arafat and kissinger (I forgot/didn't know about that one) and so clearly the thing often goes to political players even despite actual war-criminal deeds:shrug:
it would have been really nice if they had continued on a path of going with unconventional winners like an african environmentalist or an irish rock star, but I guess as political-seeming and boring as choosing baradei seems to me at first glance, it's better to send it to someone trying to control atomic weapons than to terrorists or war-mongers.

maybe it's better for bono to stay 'clean' in that way, and just keep getting nominated but never chosen.

cheers all...

I think Bono needs the confidence boost a Nobel prize would give him.[/sarcasm]

I also think they should wait until all the debt stuff is more of a 'done deal'.

u2fp

what, like the IAEA and ElBaradei's attempts at disarming the world and being sure that nobody's cooking up nuclear bombs on the sly is a done deal?

like one day mother teresa would wake up and say, yes, my work here is now officially a done deal?

not to be too facetious, but I don't know that 'doneness' is that useful a gauge for deservingness here

U2FanPeter said:

I also think they should wait until all the debt stuff is more of a 'done deal'.

u2fp

What do you mean? A LOT of African countries have already benefited from debt relief or debt cancellation. I spent some time in Tanzania earlier this year and I know they've already received help as far as debt.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

What do you mean? A LOT of African countries have already benefited from debt relief or debt cancellation. I spent some time in Tanzania earlier this year and I know they've already received help as far as debt.

I'm well aware.

I'm talking more about promised releif from international countries over the next 10 years. I'm just saying that they should wait until the check clears...

Like Canada's PM Paul Martin says "I'm not going to make an empty promise".

u2fp

VertigoGal said:
I hope he doesnt win it b/c while he does good stuff (or his heart is presumably in the right place, at least), I don't exactly think he's worthy of the Nobel Prize. :shrug:

:up:

Yep. I feel that each year there have always been an individual or an organisation more worthy of the prize (thus far). Whether or not I agree with the outcome of the winners over the various years is another matter.

Because I like the Rockstar version of the guy. I wish he would focus more on his music and save the whole Africa thing until he retires. I'm sure he's done enough to get the ball rolling.

And if you're going to say I'm selfish or something, I live in a third world country...

U2FanPeter said:

I'm well aware.

I'm talking more about promised releif from international countries over the next 10 years. I'm just saying that they should wait until the check clears...

Like Canada's PM Paul Martin says "I'm not going to make an empty promise".

u2fp

Well, it's out of Bono's hands now. He got them to make the promise, which is as much as he can do. Why should some people's inability to keep promises be a reflection on Bono's work?

Back
Top Bottom