I don't think we have realised...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
...how good Bono's voice has been on Vertigo tour., well here is a list from Vertigo tour:

- Bono hit the high C in Wide Awake on a performence.

- Bono was able to sing the "don't you look back" note in high key in WGRYWH(something I never heard him do even at ZooTV)

- Bono used a falsetto on the word Child on MW and sang Highway to hell on 2006-11-18 - Melbourne that sounded very ZooTV falsetto.

- Miss Sarajevo

- On every night he was able to hit the sing note in SYCMIOYO, he holded that note in 8 sec on 2005-10-03 - Boston.

- He sang ISHFWILF better then in years.

- He did a fanstastic job on Don't give up with Alicia Keys on Oprah and on Kids with Kylie.

- He now holds the "name" note in Pride, wich he didnt do in the previous tours.

- "Dignity passes byyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" in Crumbs(3rd leg)

- Kite

- OTH

- "Touch" in BD(5th leg)

- Falsetto in WITS

- The mad singing in the Rock'n'Roll ****** snippet

- His voice was getting better and better on Vertigo tour, wich usally dosent happen on a long tour, there werent any show where he lost his voice totaly(First show on JT, 1989-12-18 - Amsterdam, Popmart Sarajevo...)

Sorry, but when you followed the threads - you would see, a lot of people already have realised that ...

When I saw the thread was created by Peterrrrrrr, I knew this would be about Bono's voice!

corianderstem said:
When I saw the thread was created by Peterrrrrrr, I knew this would be about Bono's voice!

It hasn't been this good since 12-5-86 at the Orpheum Theater on Venus.

Kermit Bono was in full force.

It has been an impressive turn around, let's hope it stays strong.

But you know who's turn around impressed me infinitely more? Chris Cornell, he used to have such an insane vocal range, and while Audioslave made some cool music and his voice was still so unique, but his voice seemed shot, listen to him now and it's astounding. I saw him the other night from not 20 feet away, hitting all the highs on "Say Hello 2 Heaven" and apparently he's been pulling off "Jesus Christ Pose" again as well.

:yes: We realised.

I think when rested (like the last leg shows from Japan), his voice is really good now. I hope he can keep it going for a few years.

coolian2 said:
Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouuch me

Everytime I here that it gives me chills, he reached across to me and sang it when I was 1st row behind the stage!!:drool:

(My husband was holding me by the back of my pants so I wouldn't go over!)

I agree with this thread 100%
There have been moments in these past few years where Bono has sung as good as he ever has.
I mean yes he has smoked and drank a lot in recent years and is now in his mid 40s, and people will always say "i wish he could sing like he did in 87-93" etc etc but simply put he is a great singer, who truly gets across the emotion he is going through as he sings.
When he sings SYCMIOYO he is really into that song and it has some of the best singing I have ever heard. The expressions and mannerisms (eg eyes clenched shut, clenching fist at his side) help make the performance all that more powerful.
It's not all about technical ability - sometimes hearing a voice crack makes the moment more poignant.
Oh and Kite live is extraordinary, Bono is amazing on this song too.

I agree. In recent years, his voice has been surprisingly strong. During the Vertigo tour, most concerts were really great, vocally, of course with some exceptions, since the voice was tiring from time to time. Some South American concerts weren't all that great, but the very last leg, when his voice was rested, it sounded so powerful and amazingly strong. Hearing the bootlegs simply blew me away. Hearing him sing with such a passing and such strength is really quite touching.
And I, too, think that most people here have indeed realised it, even those who say he hasn't had a great voice since the 80s, there has been a lot of praise for Bono's Vertigo voice.
So let's just hope he takes care and it stays that way.

So whats the reason that he was getting better?

It can be:

After a throat surgey(he did one in 98) it takes a time to heal, less smoking and maybe some singing lessons.

If you listen to sopngs on the Elevation tour it was like the hoarse thing in his voice was a roof that stopped him from going up high.

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Sorry, but when you followed the threads - you would see, a lot of people already have realised that ...

I have, but still there are people that still complain about his voice now.

corianderstem said:

:) Ok, seems like you all have see through me, I am a Bono voice addict :)

He sounds good, definetly a little better than the Elevation tour.

Still, he's nowhere near the ZOOTV and Joshua Tree days.

I always wondered how 1987 Bono would have sung a song like "KITE"

RademR said:

He's so much better than ZooTV days. ZooTV he had a great falsetto but wasn't really great anywhere else.

JT days he was great, technically wasn't singing properly all the time, but sounded great. I think his poor technique contributed a lot to his decline in the mid to late 90's.

His Vertigo performances were strong, not the most consistent but very strong, anyone who says his voice is shot doesn't know what they are talking about...

RademR said:
He sounds good, definetly a little better than the Elevation tour.

I always wondered how 1987 Bono would have sung a song like "KITE"

Little better then Elevation? Much better.

Have you ever heard a ZooTV version of WGRYWH when he hit the high C in Don't you look back? I havent, but I heard it on Vertigo tour. Ever heard sing a long Pride chours on JT? I havent but I hear on Vertigo, ever hear Bono hold a note in 8 seconds on JT, I havent but I have on Vertigo tour(Sing, L'amoure).

he sounded great on vertigo tour. and i can't get into how technical of a singer he was, cause i dont know about that.

But when I watch him sing WOWY or Bad on Rattle & Hum, that was untouchable for me....

RademR said:
he sounded great on vertigo tour. and i can't get into how technical of a singer he was, cause i dont know about that.

But when I watch him sing WOWY or Bad on Rattle & Hum, that was untouchable for me....

Don't mean to be rude, but I don't see whats so good about Bad on R&H, he dosent manage to hold the Wide Awake note for long.

Peterrrrr said:

Don't mean to be rude, but I don't see whats so good about Bad on R&H, he dosent manage to hold the Wide Awake note for long.
Maybe it was just an "artistic" choice or something to not hold the note quite as long. Sometimes I think that he might get a bit bored singing the same songs over and over again, so he varies the phrasing and such a little bit.

please dont kill me....not to be a kill joy here but....

if he has been so good on this tour could someone please explain the terrible falsetto outro to WOWY and ONE on ALMOST every boot i have heard...i'm not saying they all have been bad but a majority IMO....he hit them fine during the elevation tour....if ya dont believe me go listen to vertigo milan & elevation slane.....then tell me where he sounds better......

the best part of the song to me is the falsetto outro on both of those songs....been bad on alot of vertigo shows...kinda bummed me out....he nailed it a few times tho, a few of the latin american shows stand out in particular.....but for the most part.....u see where im going with this

:(

JCOSTER said:

Everytime I here that it gives me chills, he reached across to me and sang it when I was 1st row behind the stage!!:drool:

(My husband was holding me by the back of my pants so I wouldn't go over!)

:madspit: I am SOOOO jealous!!! You've met him, been photographed with him, he's sung to you and reached out to you!!!

:sad: Not fair!

:wink:

Peterrrrr said:

you're not being rude, it's just your opinion.

in my opinion, the R&H version of BAD kills any version from the Vertigo tour. And I loved many versions of BAD on this last tour, it's just the older versions from the earlier days are the best for me.

The one from "Wide awake in america" is also insanely good..

RademR said:

you're not being rude, it's just your opinion.

in my opinion, the R&H version of BAD kills any version from the Vertigo tour. And I loved many versions of BAD on this last tour, it's just the older versions from the earlier days are the best for me.

The one from "Wide awake in america" is also insanely good..

Yes, the old versions are realy good, the best one for me is the 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford, is makes all versions from JT/LT weak in voice performence. He is incredible on that night, download this one and turn the speakers loud(there are some recordings of this show, but this version got the best sound):

http://www.send space.com/file/qtpvpy

:)

Z00rop@83 said:

if he has been so good on this tour could someone please explain the terrible falsetto outro to WOWY and ONE on ALMOST every boot i have heard...i'm not saying they all have been bad but a majority IMO....he hit them fine during the elevation tour....if ya dont believe me go listen to vertigo milan & elevation slane.....then tell me where he sounds better......

the best part of the song to me is the falsetto outro on both of those songs....been bad on alot of vertigo shows...kinda bummed me out....he nailed it a few times tho, a few of the latin american shows stand out in particular.....but for the most part.....u see where im going with this

He hasn't been able to sing WOWY since Lovetown, I mean there have been moments, but ever since MacPhisto sang it, it hasn't been the same.

And yes his falsetto is very inconsistent these days, which leads me to believe he stretched out vocals. But nothing permanant, for obviously he can still nail it in the studio and every once in awhile live. But his full voice, is better than it's been in a looooong time.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

He hasn't been able to sing WOWY since Lovetown, I mean there have been moments, but ever since MacPhisto sang it, it hasn't been the same.

And yes his falsetto is very inconsistent these days, which leads me to believe he stretched out vocals. But nothing permanant, for obviously he can still nail it in the studio and every once in awhile live. But his full voice, is better than it's been in a looooong time.

Well his voice performence wasnt the same even on LT, the JT versions are the best, the same with ISHFWILF.

I have done an mp3 file with some of Bono's voice highlights from the Vertigo tour :)

http://www.send space.com/file/sbdinj

Z00rop@83 said:

His falesetto is very strong, much stronger then on Elevation tour, on Elevation tour the falsettos in Elevation was pre-recorded. You can't compare the falsetto in Milan to Slane, on Slane hiw voice was in good shape, but on the Milan DVD he is very hoarse.

I think Bono can sing a stronger falsetto if he wants, but it isnt the best for your voice, so if he would do that often it would hurt his voice. Just listen to the falsetto on highway to hell on the mp3 I posted above. I havent heard such a felsetto from him since ZooTV. I also added a falsetto from Mysterious Ways on the clip wich was amazing :) Another god example is his falsetto on WITS.

Last edited:
Peterrrrr said:

His falesetto is very strong, much stronger then on Elevation tour, on Elevation tour the falsettos in Elevation was pre-recorded.

Well this has beaten to death in here, so I won't go too far into it, but this was done more for timing reasons rather than voice reasons.

Back
Top Bottom