I don't think we have realised...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peterrrrr said:
I have done an mp3 file with some of Bono's voice highlights from the Vertigo tour :)

http://www.send space.com/file/sbdinj

His falesetto is very strong, much stronger then on Elevation tour, on Elevation tour the falsettos in Elevation was pre-recorded. You can't compare the falsetto in Milan to Slane, on Slane hiw voice was in good shape, but on the Milan DVD he is very hoarse.

I think Bono can sing a stronger falsetto if he wants, but it isnt the best for your voice, so if he would do that often it would hurt his voice. Just listen to the falsetto on highway to hell on the mp3 I posted above. I havent heard such a felsetto from him since ZooTV. I also added a falsetto from Mysterious Ways on the clip wich was amazing :) Another god example is his falsetto on WITS.

wow i may stand corrected u posted some amazing examples of his vertigo voice...imo mysterious ways and beautiful day clips really were WOWWWW for me....the mysterious ways clip def brought me back to zoo tv.....but i think u might have posted the VERY best of the vertigo tour, and they mighta been a rare occurance....although i could be wrong

could someone possibly tell me the best night, in they're opinion.

i wanna download a good vertigo boot from u2start but i dont know where his voice was best. :drool:

no doubt that his voice is much better, but he used to have a more baritone colour in the past that has lost today...
He is too tenor for me today, singing to high
His low tone is where his lovely voice floats better...specially live...

Peterrrrr said:
I have done an mp3 file with some of Bono's voice highlights from the Vertigo tour :)

http://www.send space.com/file/sbdinj

Damn! That was amazing! I had no idea Bono sounded that good! This is definitely the best his voice has been since Zoo TV. Actually, in my opinion, this is the best he's sounded since the Conspiracy of Hope Tour.

Z00rop@83 said:
could someone possibly tell me the best night, in they're opinion.

i wanna download a good vertigo boot from u2start but i dont know where his voice was best. :drool:

Well there where some realy good Nights at the 3rd leg, Toronto shows, Boston but 2006-11-30 and 2006-12-04 show was amazing.

His voice on the 5th leg was amazing, the only thing that I think was strange was that he was more shaky on COBL and SYCMIOYO on the 5th leg like he had hard singing them and sang Streets with less power, wich didnt happend on 1st, 2nd and 3rd leg. But on the 5th leg he sang for an exampel BD much stronger, he succeded almost every time to sing the long feel in Vertigo(wich he had problems durning the other legs), he sang the "say it true" on NYD on the 5th leg much stronger, he holded the L'amoure note longer.

Zoo TV Bono had no power behind his voice, and he relied on how he phrased his singing more than how well he sang it. Bono definitely had some really bad nights on the Joshua Tree tour. Popmart... well, he was definitely at his worst there. Elevation was better, but like somebody already said, his voice would hit this roof of hoarseness and not be able to go any more.

But Vertigo, man I was amazed. I saw them play "Bad" and I couldn't believe it... he wasn't half assing his way through it like he did in Elevation. That's what did it for me. Vertigo = best U2 tour IMO.

The_acrobat said:
Zoo TV Bono had no power behind his voice, and he relied on how he phrased his singing more than how well he sang it. Bono definitely had some really bad nights on the Joshua Tree tour. Popmart... well, he was definitely at his worst there. Elevation was better, but like somebody already said, his voice would hit this roof of hoarseness and not be able to go any more.

But Vertigo, man I was amazed. I saw them play "Bad" and I couldn't believe it... he wasn't half assing his way through it like he did in Elevation. That's what did it for me. Vertigo = best U2 tour IMO.

I think it wrong to say that he had no power on ZooTV, he had a lot of power under the three first legs under 92. All "Come on love" at the end of MW was amazing, hallelujah on RTSS, WLCTT(Outside Broadcast), Wide Awake in Bad, falsetto's, "Say it true" NYD(3rd leg).

I think JT are a little bit overrated and LT very overrated in singing. Sure he was amazing at JT but some UF shows he where amazing and don't forget about 1986-06-15 - East Rutherford, what a performence! Bad, Pride and SBS are amazing. Those versions of these songs that night make the JT/LT versions silly.

Vertigo tour is one of Bono best moments, I think he learned more and more on the tour how to handle his new voice. And thats not usaly your voice is getting better under a big tour. I think it is more to come with his new voice :)

I think when it comes to the Zoo tour Bono's voice seemed stronger in 92 than it did in 93, maybe it was the strain of doing an album and a tour at the same time. I've always felt that despite the popularity of Sydney 93 the band and Bono in particular do seem pretty tired and that there was much more energetic and vital performances earlier on in the tour.

Bono has had his rough nights every tour, his voice was probably more powerful overall in the eighties, but he did have some very strong nights in the early nineties as well, that said he became slightly more crafty and wily when it came to the big notes, using the falsetto for the 'Wide Awakes' in Bad on nights when either he didn't feel he could do them or didn't want to do them, the falsetto works fine in certain songs like Lemon because that's the nature of the song, but not on Bad because it seemed to take something away from it, in my opinion anyway.

Anyway his Vertigo voice was certainly better than Elevation, he sounded cleaner and sharper and altogther better to listen to.

Last edited:
The_acrobat said:

^^^^^

The_acrobat said:

I think the Popmart voice was ok as well, on par with elevation. I have many bootlegs but he sounds great on most of them.

I was at the Chicago I show when they played "Bad". I was pretty close to Bono and was floored (nearly in tears) at how good he sounded. And he was singing his heart out on that paticular version of Bad.

DevilsShoes said:
I think when it comes to the Zoo tour Bono's voice seemed stronger in 92 than it did in 93, maybe it was the strain of doing an album and a tour at the same time. I've always felt that despite the popularity of Sydney 93 the band and Bono in particular do seem pretty tired and that there was much more energetic and vital performances earlier on in the tour.

Agree, I think that Sydney is overrated, his singing on this show, is weak comparing to Washington 92 which should be released instead of Sydney, in my opinion.

U2lunatic said:

Agree, I think that Sydney is overrated, his singing on this show, is weak comparing to Washington 92 which should be released instead of Sydney, in my opinion.

Yes, his voice isnt so strong on Syndey, well his voice wasnt realy strong at all under the 93 tour. But his voice durning 92 was :drool: Just listen the 1st leg and:

1992-06-11 - Stockholm
1992-06-15 - Rotterdam
1992-08-16 - WC
1992-08-30 - New York(Outside Broadcast)

The best ZooTV show hands down is Dublin '93.

A great performance in every sense of the word, plus it was the last time MacPhisto would do Ultra Violet or Desire.

That made me a sad panda.

LemonMacPhisto said:

A great performance in every sense of the word, plus it was the last time MacPhisto would do Ultra Violet or Desire.

The Mirrorball Man pwns MacPhisto on Desire and Ultra Violet.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That show is great :) , but still his voice wasnt strong on that show.

i went to both melbourne shows o6, and one of my main fears was that Bono's voice may not have been in top form , i was proved very wrong and really pleasantly suprised at how good he was sounding, he did miss sarejavo brilliantly.

Back
Top Bottom