I don't really give a crap if this is one of U2's best albums.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Two out of three of my favorite are ATYCLB and Zooropa. Are either of these their best albums? No. I know it but I still love them. Joshua Tree is considered their best by many but it's nowhere near the top for me. I love songs like Playboy Mansion, Miami and When I Look at the World. Heck, Passengers is one of my most listened to alums. "Best" really means nothing to me. It's just a matter of preference. I think most of you truthfully feel the same way. We know U2 doesn't need great reviews to have great albums.

Well said, and you are right about Playboy Mansion, Miami and When I Look at the World, they are GREAT album tracks!

shart1780 said:
We know U2 doesn't need great reviews to have great albums.

Let me first say I AGREE with this comment.

HOWEVER...

how the album is received by the general public will affect:

1) How long the tour is (they'll tour more dates/cities if the demand is there)
2) How serious people take U2 (both now and 20 years from now - every album affects their "legacy")
3) The likelihood of another U2 album after this one (remember the "two crap albums" comment?)

So we should care how the album is reviewed/received. Look at how difficult it was for U2 to crawl back out of the mess they got into with Pop/Popmart (even though I liked this album & tour).

Shart...just wanted to add that I agree with your music philosophy 100%. This is why I find it so hard, and pointless really, to "argue music." My definition of the "best" band, album song, etc simply means my "favorite." I know U2 aren't the most technically superb instrumentalists, yet I love their music the most and therefore they are my favorite band. So I think they're the best. Achtung Baby is the best album ever. Why? Because it's my favorite for God's sake! I don't ever expect them to top it, but as long as they are still making good music---which they are---I don't mind. Take the music at face value. It doesn't matter if they've hit their peak already or aren't as experimental or anything else people want to say. They make songs. If you like these songs, listen to them. If you do not, that is understandable also, and feel free to change the station when they come on the radio.

So thanks for voicing exactly what I've been thinking with all this "Will it be the best? Can it top AB?" hysteria: It doesn't matter.

VertigoGal said:
This is why I find it so hard, and pointless really, to "argue music."

Its not that hard when you have the "facts" and you convince someone that there is something wrong with their ears. :wink:

I love WHen I look at the World and Miami.....but "Playboy Mansion"? i am perplexed that people think this is a good song. the lyrics are just horrible. "if Coke is a mystery, and Michael Jackson History...." or something like that....one of the worst u2 songs ever

Nah that is a great lyric. Michael Jackson is/was history in 1997 and also he had just released an album called History at the time. Great lyrics in that song about talk show confession and perfume obsession, thats a brilliant lyric.

I've read one offical review so far from Q and it got a 4/5 far from being an average record. Do you not feel a 4/5 was an excellent score. People around here seem really low about this review, why?! so it didn't get 5/5, very few records do these days.

Lo-Fi said:
I've read one offical review so far from Q and it got a 4/5 far from being an average record. Do you not feel a 4/5 was an excellent score. People around here seem really low about this review, why?! so it didn't get 5/5, very few records do these days.
is this review online?

well, it's just gotta be satisfying to have your work so well-received, no?!

There are the 'critic' reviews, which is one sort of feedback, and there are the sales-reviews, another. To get both going so positively has got to feel yummy!

cheers all...

purpleblackeye said:
I love WHen I look at the World and Miami.....but "Playboy Mansion"? i am perplexed that people think this is a good song. the lyrics are just horrible. "if Coke is a mystery, and Michael Jackson History...." or something like that....one of the worst u2 songs ever

But listen to how he sings the part...

"Don't know if I can hold on
Don't know if I'm that strong
Don't know if I can wait that long
Till the come flashing
And the lights go on

Then will there be no time for sorrow?
Then will there be no time for shame
And though I can't say why
I know I've got to believe"

It's the culmination of the entire song. The Playboy Mansion is really a metaphor for the in-club. We're all trying to be accepted, trying to get into the Playboy Mansion. Another push and we'll be through. :)

Playboy Mansion is easily among the top 3 song off POP. And to date, it is one of the few remaining songs in POP U2 have yet to release a new mix to. Perhaps they consider that song close to perfect. I like the lyrics - very witty and clever. One of Bono's best songwriting efforts.

Cheers,

J

Well...I said I don't see the point in arguing music...but I will say I think Playboy Mansion is a pretty cool tune! The songwriting is either horrible or brilliant, probably both. Whatever it is, it works for me. And that part at the end is just awesome.

Back
Top Bottom