I dont like BAD, is something wrong with me? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2005, 11:32 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:01 AM
Takes guts to admit not liking a U2 song around here. I will respectfully disagree w/ you and say that Bad is fantastic. It's unique in that it doesn't follow a normal song structure and also clocks in at over 6 minutes where your typical radio song is 3 and a half to 4 minutes. But the melody that is created, the passion in it's vocals, and the pounding of drums all help to build this song to it's glorious climax. It's just beautiful to my ears and tugs on my heart. Not many non-U2 songs can do that to me.

But to each his own.

PS - The WAIA version is the best one to listen to.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheRooster
No there is nothing wrong with you. I've never liked the song much. To me its always too U2, too stereotypical. Its almost like U2 is playing as a caricature of themselves. No surprises, no real craft outside of what they already know. Its too mediocre when compared to their catalog, maybe for a band like Coldplay it would be one of their greatest but not for U2.

Back in my box I go
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you about it being too stereotypical, caricature of themselves, no suprises, no craft outside what they already knew, etc. When it came out in 1984, it appeared on an album of stylistic changes for the band. Perhaps all that came after it would better fit into a craft they already knew; meaning that Bad was the prototype of many songs that came after it. As for the Coldplay comparison, well if you can't say anything nice......

Old 05-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:01 AM
Strange. I find the studio recording of Bad to be totally breathtaking, even moreso that SOME live versions, though most live versions are definitely better ala LIVE AID, Wide Awake in America, Rattle and Hum etc...

Anyway, this song to me just represents everything that is beautiful about U2 and their music. It's just perfect. On the studio version especially, hearing that very quiet opening riff come though the headset is simply mesmerizing. Bono's vocals are clear and calm, and the rhythm is just fine. but as the song gains momentum and reaches its climax I am taken to a completely different world.

I haven't experienced this song live first-hand yet, as last weeks Philly show was my first U2 concert ever, I'm really hoping to hear what is probably my favorite song ever live in October when I go back to Philly, with my first ever GA experience as well. Can't wait.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:35 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:01 AM
Umm sorry to double post, but I feel it's worth mentioning, for the sake of the original poster here that while Bad is my favorite song, I acctually find Acrobat rather dull.

sorry...
Old 05-20-2005, 04:20 PM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:01 AM
I like Bad, but find I have to be in the right mood to really love it. And along with many others, I greatly prefer any live version over the album version.

I think my favorite version is from the 8/28/93 Dublin show.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:01 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:01 AM
Listen,
I really think songs like Numb, Miami and Playboy Mansion trump Bad ok?

thank u

db9

and Stairway To Heaven by Zepplin could be easily replaced with Boogie With Stu.
what's wrong w you ppl anyway
Old 05-22-2005, 06:22 PM   #52
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 05:01 AM
bad is my all time favorite u2 song. i love it. especially the live version from wide awake in america.

when i'm at a u2 concert i even close my eyes during the song just to soak it all in.
i was actually sad that i didn't get to hear it played at all the 2 nites i was in chicago.

do yourself a favor and listen to the version from wide awake in america.
turn down the lights.
turn up the music loud.
and just close your eyes and listen to it
Old 05-23-2005, 03:47 AM   #53
The Fly

Local Time: 12:01 PM
The weird thing about "bad" is i couldn't say why I really like it. It never would have been a chart topper or anything like that but I think it is an amazing song.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:54 AM   #54
War Child

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Re: I dont like BAD, is something wrong with me?

Quote:
Originally posted by DPrinceNY
I dont like BAD, is something wrong with me?

Yes.