I didn't know this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
So I'm bored, and crusing http://www.amiannoying.com (like I said, bored) and I come across Bono and under the "why he may be annoying" part is this:

"He admits to using illegal drugs."

I didn't know this. Where has he said this?

True or no?

You've never seen that? It's been around since the Elevation tour. Illegal drugs? What do they mean? Maybe he took a puff of a joint in the 70's, he was a teenager. We all did it at some point back then. So what.

He mentioned in the Mother Jones article that he had "experimented". But I don't think he uses drugs.

That website can be funny, but sometimes they don't have their facts straight, so don't worry.

Perle

Last edited:
I read a qote from Edge on playing "under influence" - he said they tried once in 1977 but the "show was so horrendous they decided not to do it ever again."

Also a BBC producer who was with them on Zoo TV tour said U2 was one of the cleanest bands on that topic.

In the Q magazine article for POP, they asked Bono about his partaking in the 'studio drug use' with Howie B. Bono kind of hemmed and hawed around it and I think said something to the effect that he preferred not to use it often because "the colors are already bright enough" for him.

I don't have my original copy anymore, maybe someone can double check this.

Rafiennes said:
In the Q magazine article for POP, they asked Bono about his partaking in the 'studio drug use' with Howie B. Bono kind of hemmed and hawed around it and I think said something to the effect that he preferred not to use it often because "the colors are already bright enough" for him.

I don't have my original copy anymore, maybe someone can double check this.

I don't remember him saying he didn't like to "use it often". I remember him making some joke about Howie B taught Larry how to roll his joints for him and they mentioned Adam sprinkling a little something something in this rolled cigerettes. But he said U2 never had to rely on drugs because they liked to create their own colors with the music.

That's how I remember it, but my copies in storage somewhere...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Never heard that, where is it from?

Bill Flannigan's Until the End of the World documents this incident quite nicely.
If you haven't read it then you're missing out on a great story of U2 in the early 90s. :yes:

I remember reading in (I think) a Q magazine article where they were talking to Edge and Larry about Best Of 1990-2000. When they were asked if ever did drugs in the early 90s, Edge said they did sniff naplam before the Zoo TV concerts, but that was it.

Anybody remember that one?

Perle

...sniffing napalm...?

Does that seem to anyone else like it would be
a) Insanely difficult to get
b) Insanely expensive
c) Light a fire in your nose?

Doesn't napalm ignite on contact with air???

:scratch:

That Edge is such a joker.

It's no big secret that Larry injected shoe polish and Bono snorted chopped up Ajax off the bare bottoms of Korean male prostitutes.

In the beginning of Rattle and Hum when the guys are being interviewed by the guy and they all start laughing and making jokes (larry explaining 'it's a musical journey) I could swear their all stoned on pot (except for the interviewer guy) Does anybody think that when they watch that part ? :eeklaugh:

Last edited:
Yes, I've thought that. I know someone who's sure they're stoned, although I think they could just be drunk ...

I doubt the napalm story is entirely true, because if they did that, they would've killed themselves doing it before every ZooTV show.

I'm sure Bono and the rest of the band have experimented, but never anything frequent or with hard drugs.

Besides, drinking is their thing :)

Perle

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom