I did not know this about Mirrorball Man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
He's supposed to be a televangelist?

http://www.u2faqs.com/live/#12:

12. Who were those characters Bono used in the live shows during the Zoo TV Tour?

Bono played three different characters on stage during Zoo TV. They are The Fly, the Mirrorball Man, and Mr. MacPhisto. The Fly is supposed to represent the typical "rock star" with his black, shiny leather clothes and his bug-eyed glasses. His excess and posing for the cameras is to make fun of the way rock has become impersonal and fake. The next character is the Mirrorball Man, who is a Television Evangelist. He wears shiny, sparkling clothes that look like, what else, a disco ball. The last character, who was seen in the Sydney concert, is Mr. MacPhisto, an aging thespian/rock star. Both the Mirrorball Man and Mr. MacPhisto are representations of, if not the devil, then very evil characters. The Mirrorball Man was seen during the indoor legs of the tour, and the early portions of the Outside Broadcast tour. MacPhisto debuted on the Zooropa Tour in the summer of 1993. [M, M2]

Am I a moron, or did anyone else miss it?

Yes I had read this before. Bono changed the persona to Mr McPhisto for the non-US legs of the tour because the televangelist tends to be more recognisable to an American audience.

I have an interview with Bono where he explains the transformation. He says the Mirrorball Man was like the TV evangelists found in America. And that kind of character wouldn't translate to European audiences. He says: "So you think, well who is this character, really? And he's the devil. So you turn to European myth and you find Faust. Mephistopheles. Now you're talking!"

And thus was born Macphisto. :macdevil:

Back
Top Bottom