I can't get "OH. YOU. LOOK. SO. BEAU-TI-FUL...TONIGHT..." out of my head!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This song has etched itself into my subconscious in a way that very few U2 songs do. That to me kind of proves it'll be a classic.
Anyone else "feeling" it, too?

Just to add: This is a song I can picture a 1984 mullet-clad Bono belting out in the UF video. It's a big song, but not in a JT kind of way and yet not in a 'Pride' or a 'Bad' kind of way either. More like if the maturity of 'All I Want Is You' was brought into the molecular vibration of the UF era (like 'Sort of Homecoming' with a bigger chorus)...if that makes any sense whatsoever.

PS. That falsetto melody is brilliant!

Last edited:
i was singing it all day at school in my head. just that line.

and i like all because of you better.

this song is good though, too. i like em both.

Only U2 can make a simple line like that into a good chorus. Of course, the music makes the biggest difference in this song.

it also was absolutely stuck in my head for a large part of last night. let's just say i got less sleep than usual cuz of that but it's worth it. AMAZING song. i'm trying to hold myself back from listening to it again until it comes out on cd. (yeah that'll happen.)

So far these crappy recordings (of what 4 songs?)are doing a much better job of selling the hype than all those 30 second studio clips of the last album and I am a BIG fan of the last album.

Oh, and one more thing. When I listen to City of Blinding Lights I feel like I just walked thru a door to 1984. Incredible!

Last edited:
At work saturday night for some reason my head was singing: "Oh..YOU..look..so..Beautiful!....tonight" over and over and over again. I think it was in my head non stop for five hours. I probably appeared very absent-minded!

AHHHH!!! how is it possible that his voice sounds that good!!! that they can still create such powerful music?? it defies the laws of nature!

I have that chorus stuck in my head and I'm singing it to myself everywhere I go. I was scribbling the lyrics down in my class today, but part of that is just because that class is boring as hell. The lyrics to the second verse are incredible, along with the bridge. "Time won't take the boy out of this man" is such a great line. But ultimately, the lines stuck in my head the most:

I'm alive, im being born
just arrived, im at the door,
the place I started out from, and im BACK INSIDDEE!!!!

I love those lines, both of these songs are killer. :wink:

I don't know, I think it's an amazing song as well, but the chorus is so overdone, it's not too original. Only U2 could pull it off, but it's not really stuck in my head. What is stuck in my head are the lyrics of the first verse:

The more you see, the less you know,
The less you find out as you grow,
I knew so much more then, than I do now.

Awesome lyrics, along with the second verse, pure brilliance!

Mr. Griffiths, i am so with you on this one. I have been singing that line for 3 days straight, everywhere I go, in the street, on the bus, everywhere. When I am at home I have the song on repeat.

For me I think I just haven't had any new song make me feel this way in a long time. It is breathtaking.

In COBL, isn't he saying, ALL you look so beautiful....???

Just curious, thats how I hear it but everyone else says OH???

I'm not really sure if it's "all" of "oh". I'd like to think it's "all" that just makes it a bit more personal, but I really think it's "oh". Oh well, really doesn't matter.

Man I was really digging on the chorus to COBL all day long too. Actually, in fact, the whole song. I work / live in NYC and I spent most of the day walking the streets in a gray drizzle with COBL playing back in my head. All the richness of it. It was amazing.

And moving. The song, for me, is a U2 classic, in the upper echolon of the U2 canon. It pulls on my intellectual and emotional strings in a way many other songs just don't. It reaches a place other recordings haven't ever brought me. And, to top it off, I think the bridge is so bloody fantastic and unusual that it warrants standout attention.

There was a moment today where, playing back the song entirely in my head, I briefly reached - as Bono might put it "that other place." A place of irrepresible spirit, life, and love.

However, I was quickly reminded by Jick that the song really is just an overrated and ordinary, perhaps even cheesy half-assed effort by the boys. Immediately realizing what an intellectual and emotional amateur I am- especially in relation musical overlord J- I chided myself thoroughly and sunk back into the gray, cold, drizzling, and depressing streets of NYC, to be drown out by the numbess of The City of Blinding Lights.

It is stuck in my head probably because the song is on repeat all of the time - I love the whole song - the enitre band is brilliant and this is a rehersal - the ablum version is going to be earth-shattering

elfyx said:
Man I was really digging on the chorus to COBL all day long too. Actually, in fact, the whole song. I work / live in NYC and I spent most of the day walking the streets in a gray drizzle with COBL playing back in my head. All the richness of it. It was amazing.

And moving. The song, for me, is a U2 classic, in the upper echolon of the U2 canon. It pulls on my intellectual and emotional strings in a way many other songs just don't. It reaches a place other recordings haven't ever brought me. And, to top it off, I think the bridge is so bloody fantastic and unusual that it warrants standout attention.

There was a moment today where, playing back the song entirely in my head, I briefly reached - as Bono might put it "that other place." A place of irrepresible spirit, life, and love.

However, I was quickly reminded by Jick that the song really is just an overrated and ordinary, perhaps even cheesy half-assed effort by the boys. Immediately realizing what an intellectual and emotional amateur I am- especially in relation musical overlord J- I chided myself thoroughly and sunk back into the gray, cold, drizzling, and depressing streets of NYC, to be drown out by the numbess of The City of Blinding Lights.

:lmao:

Wow elfyx... that was brilliant... one of the best posts I've read here in a while. I was first all touched by how you were describing the effects the song had on you, and then I just burst out laughing at the last paragraph...

My feelings exactly. Hearing the new songs, you just can't believe how this band can still write such mind-blowing music that always seems to captures your emotions and feelings and any given moment in your life... then you read some people's comments who are like :shrug: It's not that good, it's overatted...

But hey, people can have their own opinions...

This song is still giving me literal goosebumps....and choking me up. :sad:

One of my housemates (not a U2 fan) overheard me singing it the other day....she asked what it was, she thought it sounded great. I told her what it was about and then told her to close her eyes and listen and I played it for her--she cried! Tell me this isn't an amazing song!

Last edited:
For me, the thing that is great about this song is that it can make you feel like the possibilities for great things in the world are endless. That's probably why the song reminds me of Streets. Not necessarily how it sounds, but how it makes you feel. I'm glad the album version is going to be longer than the live version!

elfyx said:

That is so awesome!

elfyx said:

The song, for me, is a U2 classic, in the upper echolon of the U2 canon. It pulls on my intellectual and emotional strings in a way many other songs just don't. It reaches a place other recordings haven't ever brought me. And, to top it off, I think the bridge is so bloody fantastic and unusual that it warrants standout attention.

Amen Brother.

Don't sweat it bro.
once u2 start living up to the standards of bon jovi and avril lagrene, the world will rise from darkness.

elfyx said:

:lmao: post of the day award! Seriously, though, great post... I agree totally, it's a really emotional song. It was in my head all last night, then today I had ABOY in my head... both very catchy songs; they get in your head one way or another, and they both have great lyrics (btw imo it's "ALL" not "OH"...guess we'll find out for real when the album comes out).

AtomicBono said:

:lmao: post of the day award! Seriously, though, great post... I agree totally, it's a really emotional song. It was in my head all last night, then today I had ABOY in my head... both very catchy songs; they get in your head one way or another, and they both have great lyrics (btw imo it's "ALL" not "OH"...guess we'll find out for real when the album comes out).

It's sounds too close to tell. Most people seem to think it's "OH," so I went with that when I posted what I thought were the lyrics, but it might very well be "ALL." Either way I don't think it makes a huge difference in the song. The many different lyrics people are coming up with for ABOY can change the song quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see/hear what those lyrics really are.

atikicat said:

It's sounds too close to tell. Most people seem to think it's "OH," so I went with that when I posted what I thought were the lyrics, but it might very well be "ALL." Either way I don't think it makes a huge difference in the song. The many different lyrics people are coming up with for ABOY can change the song quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see/hear what those lyrics really are.

:yes: indeed it could be either, maybe he sings "oh" one time and "all" another :p I love the lyrics to ABOY...whatever they are :laugh:

AtomicBono said:

:yes: indeed it could be either, maybe he sings "oh" one time and "all" another :p I love the lyrics to ABOY...whatever they are :laugh:

Well, when you figure them out...tell Bono.;)

Back
Top Bottom