I can't get "OH. YOU. LOOK. SO. BEAU-TI-FUL...TONIGHT..." out of my head!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono probably sings "oh" on the album. I can see him switching that to "all" during the live shows. He likes to switch lyrics around for live shows.

"I like the sound of my own voice" seems like it could have been a line from Boy....kinda like "I started a landslide in my ego"
Can anyone recall a time when U2 played songs from their new album live before the album was released? Rattle and Hum comes to mind but nothing since then. It tells me they are very confident of the new stuff and this really could be the "Third Masterpiece"

The "Oh, you look so beautiful tonight" line has been in my head all day too! I think it's so cool that Bono chose the topic of the New York concerts for a song.

starsgoblue said:
This song is still giving me literal goosebumps....and choking me up. :sad:

One of my housemates (not a U2 fan) overheard me singing it the other day....she asked what it was, she thought it sounded great. I told her what it was about and then told her to close her eyes and listen and I played it for her--she cried! Tell me this isn't an amazing song!

maybe you were playing the volume way too loud on her headphones...or chopping onions...

im kidding. this song is very very good. the first time i heard it i wasnt very impressed, but it grew on me like all the great u2 songs grow on me. i've been singing the chorus for probably 4 days, especially the falsetto part (with some embarassing results...teachers, pets, etc...).

even my classmates, who are probably almost sick of all the u2 crap i fling at them daily, like the new stuff, especially Vertigo and COBL.

atikicat said:

It's sounds too close to tell. Most people seem to think it's "OH," so I went with that when I posted what I thought were the lyrics, but it might very well be "ALL." Either way I don't think it makes a huge difference in the song. The many different lyrics people are coming up with for ABOY can change the song quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see/hear what those lyrics really are.

I'm pretty sure Bono's singing 'all', especially because it fits better thematically, but it's way too close to tell from the recording we have. A studio copy would be REALLY nice!

I can't stop repeating this song. It's firmly stuck in my head. It's just ... wow. It's blown me away. There are no words to describe just how good it is.

To me it's the intro that makes this song great, very remeniscent of October for me but different more with an urgency or edginess to it that I really like. I can't wait for the album version of this song but i think it's one of those songs that will shine more live than on cd, which is the case with most U2 songs.

It looks like Miracle Drug now has some competition as the best song on the album. Having said this i don't feel that it is as great as One or Streets like many others are saying but it is a great song none the less and the intro rules. :drool:

Last edited:
I'm in love with...

The more you see the less you know
The less you find out as you grow

I don't have it stuck in my head.....yet. I can't get into the crappy recording, listening through computer speakers here at work, at miniscule levels. I will reserve judgement until I hear it the way it's meant to be heard.

StarsGoBlue - I think you're room mate is unstable. Just kidding.:wink:

Oh...you...look...so...beau-ti-ful...tonight...

I have it stuck in my head. But who told you that it means the song is a classic? Commercial jingles and music from boy bands stuckin my head the very same way... and i hate it!

I'm not saying the song COBL is bad. I will only judge it after listening to a CD quality version for at least 2 weeks. And i'll only know if it's a classic after a full year.

By now i think the chorus is kind of...hmmmm...not to shock you devotees, but it's pretty simple and halfassed.

And i don't believe the good songs are the ones you have to know the story behind their compositions to appreciated them... Many ppl (mostly americans or new yorkers) say they cry after thinking about the reasons why Bono wrote it... Wrong reasons to like a song... You should like a song for what it is, kids...

I'm not going to listen to it 'til the 22nd...
(wasn't satisfied with ABOY, so I don't want to have another not-that-great song before the release to think about it all the time and hoping that the rest is the best)

Convoy said:
I'm in love with...

The more you see the less you know
The less you find out as you grow

Amen! :yes:

Also, at the end of the performance, what is it he said about the BBC?

Last edited:
Well, after listening to this song twice on Sunday, I was not that thrilled with it. Now, I LOVE it. It is a very good song with great potential; I can't wait to hear a full-studio version. My favorite lines/part of the song right now:

"I've seen you walk on the flame
I've seen you in the clothes you made
You've seen the beauty inside of me
What happened to the beauty I had inside of me"

I love how Bono sings that part.

U2_Guy said:
Oh...you...look...so...beau-ti-ful...tonight...

I have it stuck in my head. But who told you that it means the song is a classic? Commercial jingles and music from boy bands stuckin my head the very same way... and i hate it!

I'm not saying the song COBL is bad. I will only judge it after listening to a CD quality version for at least 2 weeks. And i'll only know if it's a classic after a full year.

By now i think the chorus is kind of...hmmmm...not to shock you devotees, but it's pretty simple and halfassed.

And i don't believe the good songs are the ones you have to know the story behind their compositions to appreciated them... Many ppl (mostly americans or new yorkers) say they cry after thinking about the reasons why Bono wrote it... Wrong reasons to like a song... You should like a song for what it is, kids...

I will answer your paragraphs by numbers 1 to 4 (the first line doesn't count):

1. No, I don't mean that a song is a classic simply if it's stuck in your head. Here's what I originally said: "This song has etched itself into my subconscious in a way that very few U2 songs do. That to me kind of proves it'll be a classic." It's the "in a way" modifier that is critical to my line of thought. You see, when I first hear "classic" U2 songs, they rarely get stuck in my head. Quite often, I don't even like them....and that goes from 'One' to 'New Years Day' to 'Bad'. Well, the same thing happened to me with 'City of Blinding Lights'. When I first heard it, I was kind of like, "Well, it's nice, maybe has potential, BUT...just not feelin' it". Fast forward to a few more listens, and its mysteries and dimensions began to unfold upon me like all the massive U2 songs have. Now it touches me in a fundamental way, in a way that can only be defined as an opening to the highest order....like all the great U2 songs do.

That's what I meant by that.

2. I can see your point there. Probably a good idea. But in this case - for me - I was able to feel the song within the limitations of crap recordings and pre album release. I'm sure a song like 'With or Without You' would have done the same after a few listens.

3. The chorus to many of U2's songs are cheesy when taken outside of context of the song. Is "Wth or without you" any better? How about "All I want is you"? The list goes on.... U2's lyricism usually shines in the verses - and almost never in a sing-a-long chorus.

4. We agree on this point.

:)

Back
Top Bottom