I can't believe people don't like One Step Closer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:

Who're you kidding? You just posted because you saw a bone in the previous post!

I just cannot keep any secrets from you, can I? :grumpy:

That bone, though.....
dbone.gif
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
it's a great song, incredible.

"i'm on an island in a busy intersection....
i can't go forward, and i can't turn back,
i can see the future it's getting away from me... i just watch the taillights glowing"

Axver said:

I presume you like at least one of the following songs: October, Promenade, MLK, Running To Stand Still, Mothers Of The Disappeared, Van Diemen's Land, So Cruel, The First Time, North And South Of The River, Stateless, Grace. They would all be considered to be 'slow' songs. song attribute?

HAHA! I think you just listed the latest mix cd I put together on the compy the other day.

And I too love One Step Closer. I love the way it leads into OOTS. Outstanding!

It is a good bone, isn't it? Mmmm.... bone....
dbone.gif

My favorite 3 is L&PoE-->ABoy. I do like plenty of other songs on the album, mind you, including "Yahweh" and OotS. But OSC just feels weak to me. U2 did that *soooooo* much better with songs like "Running to Stand Still" and "The First Time".

Let me give OSC one more listen now...

hmmm...

Yep, I still feel it's the weakest song on the album. Interesting song, but perhaps best as an "extra" (instead of "Fast Cars") or a b-side.

There are 3 problems with OSC:

1. That STUPID HORRIBLE Edge arpeggio that totally spoils the mood of the song. Its uninspired, he's just playing the chords, totally ruins the subtelty of the melody. I love it in Van Diemens Land and many many other songs, but over here the context is just wrong.

2. The chorus lyric and melody. How many more times can one bear to hear that line?

3. No climax whatsoever.

Last edited:
beautiful....I thought after hearing Grace back in 2000, that perhaps U2 lost their touch a bit w/ soft ballads (Grace is ok, but nothing compared to their previous slow/melodic tunes). so i was thrilled when i heard OSC.

OSC is all about someone losing there heartbeat....

Brilliant. I think Bono would be better off singing this song about his father.

Axver said:

I'd beg to differ. Rather than bringing the album down, I think One Step Closer works to cohesively link Crumbs to OOTS. I've thought this from the very first time I played the album: those three songs have the best flow of any grouping of three songs on the entire album. Indeed, the entire AMAAW --> Yahweh flow is FAR better than Vertigo --> ABOY.

I actually think this song is kinda like "sometimes you can't make it on your own" told from the perspective of the father. It provides the other half of the equation. IF sometimes is bono singin to his father then, one step is bono's father singing back to him.

I think it's more critical to the album than people realize.

" a heart that hurts is a heart that beats, can you hear the drummer slowing".....just brilliant lyrically

Axver said:

I'd beg to differ. Rather than bringing the album down, I think One Step Closer works to cohesively link Crumbs to OOTS. I've thought this from the very first time I played the album: those three songs have the best flow of any grouping of three songs on the entire album. Indeed, the entire AMAAW --> Yahweh flow is FAR better than Vertigo --> ABOY.

I agree on the Mr Ax, bad flow for the beginning of the album.
It's not U2's best song either, but when I first heard it it amazes me.. when it does it to me again by suprise I know it will be awesome. Recently ATYCLB suprised me as I hated it for the past 2 years. But I think it's an amazing album again now! The same will happen with OSC

OSC is the most underrated track on the album. Purely hypnotical and flies in the slipstream rather than the mainstream. It's a song about death, and I think that might be what turns some people off about it.

It's an almost hypnotic song, it's so beautiful - I love it. Fair enough it may not have an exciting climax or other features that make a song "good", but it's slightly different to most of U2's newer material and the song itself is a great one.

OSC creates a dark mood for the Bomb. Very atmospheric and has a touch of alt. country, just a touch. I can't help but reflect and a little down when i hear it. What a beautiful and touching song.

I don't want Portland to come. :sad:

One Step Closer is a really good song, but it is the weakest track on there. that is not to say it's bad, I just think that there is so much good material on the Bomb that it gets pushed down. I think the lyrics are ok, but they have never really made much sense to me. It is well sung, but it sounds like there is something underneath trying to burst out but it doesn't get a chance.

I also really like Grace now. I still think it's the weakest track on ATYCLB, but it is sung very well, and the instrumental really back Bono's voice well. If you push aside the lyrics, and get over the fact they are a bit cheesy, there is a really good song hiding underneath. It would be better if it was cut down. The intro is a bit too long for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom